Options

Does any supermarket ketchup beat Heinz?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I'm not a brand snob but have always bought Heinz ketchup. The supermarket own brand ones seem half the price. But are they as worse/same/better?

Comments

• Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Morrisons is better than normal Heinz, though not as good or thick as it was a couple of years ago.

Lidl is also very good, and better than it was a couple of years ago!

I tried Asda's a few years ago and it was just too vinegary, but Tesco's is nice, just like Lidl and Morrisons.

I'm not really that keen on normal Heinz, but their organic version is the best, for me. Sadly, it's also by far the most expensive so I never buy it. Tesco's, Morrisons' and Lidl's ketchups contains much more real tomato than normal Heinz, though not quite as much as Heinz Organic, but I find them the best choices when you factor-in the price. Last time I checked, Tesco was the best value because they do a huge bottle for about £1.15.

I can't remember if I ever tried Aldi's years ago, but it contains the same amount of tomato as normal Heinz, so I don't bother with it.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just buy the own brand stuff for almost anything.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Sainsbury's own to Heinz to be honest, but saying that it have been a few years since I have had Heinz.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The only things I have ketchup on is hotdogs, burgers and bacon sarnies. The rest of the time it's used in sauces and marinades etc. so little differences don't really matter.

I think the one in the cupboard at the moment is Bramwells? It might be ALDI's brand
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kania from Lidl. Same sweet/sour balance as Heinz, but more rounded tomato flavour.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Ketchup is one of the few things I will only buy the big branded version of - yep, Heinz.

No other supermarket ketchup seems as good. I don't eat a lot of it personally but my partner does and he'll basically refuse to eat any other brand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat the rancid stuff, but my husband wouldn't let me buy any other label. But he is the most outrageous label snob, so possibly not the most balanced opinion.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Heinz too sweet.

We have Asda 'Chosen by You' ketchup instead, it's not as sweet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy anything Heinz now. Morrisons own brand ketchup is much better, also since Heinz changed their recipe for their baked beans, they're horrible and I think they taste soapy. Branston baked beans are far superior (only my opinion of course).
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I liked the Balsamic version from a few years ago.

I tend to vary my ketchup brands otherwise it all tastes a bit samey.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I don't buy anything Heinz now. Morrisons own brand ketchup is much better, also since Heinz changed their recipe for their baked beans, they're horrible and I think they taste soapy. Branston baked beans are far superior (only my opinion of course).

Have to agree about the baked beans i have not bought heinz for a couple of years now. Bought ;BRANSTON instead far better, and sauce is thicker and tastier..

when branston first came onto market they also did a spaghetti which was vile in taste, it contained no salt at all and the taste was matalic. Loads of people me included phoned their customer service care and told them of my thoughts.. after a few months they were taken of the market and never replaced, shame they could of outsold heinze spagetti, which is the only kind of spagetti i currently buy because of the length of them and taste.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for ketchup we always buy heinz and HP dadies sauce.
    Perfect combination for any meals.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    LIDL's is worth a taste I reckon. I saw a prog on the Beeb a couple of years ago with a blind testing and it came out on top. Other articles online include the one below.

I like pretty much all supermarket ketchups (standard, not the value ranges), and currently have ALDI's in my fridge. However, never ever buy ALDI's brown sauce. It's disgusting.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/405624/Supermarket-Lidl-is-the-toast-of-shoppers-as-it-tops-taste-survey
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only organic heinz tom sauce tastes anywhere near what the original used to .normal one now is awful ! i like chef tom sauce but hard to find.
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a supermarket own brand, but a brand that is cheaper than Heinz and equally as tasty is - Branstons.

We used to always buy Heinz ketchup too, until we were given Branston's as a substitute, and now we wouldn't go back to Heinz unless it was on offer. No-one in our family can tell the difference between the two... seriously.
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can vouch for the lidl one - cant tell the difference and it's only like 69p or something ridiculous. I'm a bit of a ketchup snob and only ever got Heinz - but the Lidl one is just as good and a fraction of the price. Cant go wrong.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rather like cheap ketchups.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always Heinz. My parents buy either Asda or Aldi and you can taste the difference!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I agree. I bought some as they were on offer and they too watery and not tomatoey enough.
  • Options
    missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personal fave is Daddies for ketchup and brown. However Tesco do a glass jar of ketchup. You spoon it out. It is thick and tomatoey - very nice.