The Walking Dead Series 5 (US PACE)

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    I think it was fairly obvious from the way he was acting that Bob had been bitten and he had left the Church so he wouldn't turn during the night.

The thing is if the bite was fairly low on his leg (which it probably was) he would have known that amputating the leg quick enough would have stopped the spread of the infection (he was around when this was done for Hershal IIRC).

So why didn't he say waht had happened?

He would have to have known early on. By the time he left the church it was way too late.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Father Gabriel looks to be in interesting, different type of character than we're used to on TWD. Once Rick and the others find out his secret though, will they be so willing to let him in the group?
    Am I right in thinking that his secret is merely that;
    He turned away other survivors from would-be refuge?
    As i said previously i didn't think that would be the last of Garath, although what was up with Bob? if i'm honest i thought he might have got a bite or a scratch in the water and he was just hiding it from them that's why he walked out near the end.
    I have two conclusions;

1) He was indeed bitten, and was crying at the fact that his life finally seemed to be on track, but then would be taken away from him.

2) He was simply crying at the fact that his life finally seemed to be on track. Now he's Herschel Mk II
    Also, the whole Beth thing, i thought it was Father Gabriel who got Beth in the 1st place i guess not, but i assume he plays some part in it with the whole god car, I want her back soon.
    He might have been involved? I don't know. Suffice to say, I don't miss Beth at all. Girl can't act, and I'm not fond of her singing.
    mindset wrote: »
    I don't believe any of that Washington malarkey. If they had a way to exterminate the zombie virus (or whatever it is) wouldn't they end up killing everyone, because they are all infected?
    I would imagine that they'd cure everyone, thus sending the dead back to death, and have the living remain dead upon death.

That is, if such a thing exists. That scientist doesn't know shit. I'm sorry, but there's definitely something up with him. "It's Classified"? BullSHIT dude. It's the end of the world, there's no such thing as classified anymore.
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Poor sod. The ending was very chilling. He was an idiot though, wandering around at night on his own. What was he thinking?
    In his defense, he has nothing to fear except walkers, and he'd have likely heard them whereas the would-be attackers were silent.
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    He was going to die away from the group after being bitten in the water.
    We don't know that he was infected though, it's just, because of the scenes and the setup, that's our current conclusion. It would be ironic justice though if his Kentucky Fried Leg was the infected one, and the hungry have just infected themselves - though you'd think they'd notice an infected leg? Or at least question a gash...
    How the hell is bob still alive after having his leg chopped? Looking forward to the moment the cannibals see him turn and realise they have eaten Infected meat.
    Well, these cannibals had a fire, so they could have sealed the would-be-wound. Besides the fact, they've obviously been living a certain way for a while now. No doubt they've picked up a couple of tricks along the way.

What I don't understand though, if everyone is infected and turns when they die, then wouldn't those that are eaten also be dead (when they are eaten) thus automatically passing along the initiate zombie mutation?
    I then thought it was a bit silly of Gareth and the Hunters to eat the leg that he was seemingly bitten. but then just assumed that cooking his leg would kill off any infection from the bite.
    As above, either cooking said infection kills said ... infection, or (with it being dark and all) they didn't notice the scratch/bite on Bob's leg.
    Marcusjll wrote: »
    I reckon Beth will sadly die though
    I will rejoice. Nobody cares about her, not even her sister. In all this time, not once has Maggie asked after Beth. :p
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was fairly obvious from the way he was acting that Bob had been bitten and he had left the Church so he wouldn't turn during the night.

The thing is if the bite was fairly low on his leg (which it probably was) he would have known that amputating the leg quick enough would have stopped the spread of the infection (he was around when this was done for Hershal IIRC).

So why didn't he say waht had happened?
    I think it is the noble thing to do. Anyway they are following the comics although Bob and Herschel are taking the place of Dale. I think it is acknowledged that they cannot kill off Dale because he is so popular.

This bite thing is interesting. The virus is in everyone and needs activating. Actually cooking an infected chicken or meat at the wrong temperature can increase bacteria. This particular virus is unique so heating it up may increase virulence anyway. It was a shock when we found out you didn't have to die to turn. The bite may have something to do with infected saliva etc like rabies. When you eat you use saliva so they would be taking in double the dose of the virus.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is acknowledged that they cannot kill off Dale because he is so popular.

:confused: Dale was killed off in Season 2.

And best not mention any comic book stuff even if it relates to stuff already seen.
  • GibraltarianGibraltarian Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Bob crying prior to be being snatched definitely implies that all is not right. I think they tried to confuse us a bit with all the kissing so that we could speculate that he was weeping cos he was happy,. But I think like most that he was indeed bitten and that is why he was weeping outside the Church.

If indeed he was bitten, and assuming the others rescue him, his abductors just saved him by chopping off his leg, and inadvertently just set themselves up for a Walker morph - that is if consuming infected flesh can turn them! Do we know if this would be the case - cannot recall this detail!

Also, though not a major fan of Beth, I am glad they finally reintroduced her story into the series so that we can finally close that story off - whether she survives or not.

With the Priest, I think his sin was that he locked himself in the Church and just allowed his parishioners to be eaten by the Walkers, although I am hoping his dark secret will be something a bit bigger than that!
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they dont repeat with Beth what they did with Andrea. i.e. have her spend the majority of the season away from the group and then kill her off as soon as she reunites with them
  • excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too, but isn't everyone already infected?

Yes but it seems for now only Rick and his group know that and unless he's told the rest of them then only the group prior to the prison story know that information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    excelents wrote: »
    Yes but it seems for now only Rick and his group know that and unless he's told the rest of them then only the group prior to the prison story know that information.

Most groups will know by now (just from experience) that anyone who dies, even if they are not bitten will return as a Walker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Marcusj wrote:
    In episode 3, at the end, Daryl returns to the church and Michonne asks where Carol is, and he cries. In episode 4, it's a Beth bottle episode. A few videos leaked of this one. One including her waking up in a room and banging on the door, and that police woman and a doctor walk in and talk to her for a bit. Another of a policeman trying to force sex on Beth, she considers using scissors to stab him, but a walker just wakes up. And also.. THE BIGGEST OF ALL… Beth sees Carol being brought in on a stretcher, unconscious. Beth looks like she's been beaten up, too .

Do you have a URL for this? :-)
    Forum Member
    Anyway they are following the comics although Bob and Herschel are taking the place of Dale. I think it is acknowledged that they cannot kill off Dale because he is so popular.
    Dale was killed off in Season 2.
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by the above statement.
    If indeed he was bitten, and assuming the others rescue him, his abductors just saved him by chopping off his leg, and inadvertently just set themselves up for a Walker morph - that is if consuming infected flesh can turn them! Do we know if this would be the case - cannot recall this detail!
    I don't think it has been specifically stated whether eating infected (and cooked) flesh will turn, but then surely any flesh eaten (by default) is already infected? I don't know. Suffice to say, I'm concerned about Bob. He's only lost a leg right now, yet his character has had some growth. Surely they're not going to kill him off so soon?

Also, with regard to said group becoming infected:
    Apparently that military base Eugine was on about in Washington does actually exist, and our group do make it there. However, at some point these 'hunters' - which have grown into a significantly large group by this point attack the base, so it's a fair bet that none of them are dying from infected food anytime soon.
    Also, though not a major fan of Beth, I am glad they finally reintroduced her story into the series so that we can finally close that story off - whether she survives or not.
    I wonder. If/when Beth is reunited with the group, think they'll all remember who she is? You think Maggie might realize "oh shit, I had a sister?" :p
    With the Priest, I think his sin was that he locked himself in the Church and just allowed his parishioners to be eaten by the Walkers, although I am hoping his dark secret will be something a bit bigger than that!
    I concur with this. I think the secret wont be that dark, though am hoping it will.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused by the above statement.

I wonder. If/when Beth is reunited with the group, think they'll all remember who she is? You think Maggie might realize "oh shit, I had a sister?" :p

I'm guessing the Poster had mixed up Dale with Darryl who isn't even in the comics.

Maggie and Darryl actually do talk (heard in a V.O) about Beth near the start of Ep1 of this season. I had missed it on first watch but it is there.
  • VaultVault Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I'll copy what i posted from the new article

"Plus it seems highly likely that he is infected (he seemed to hobbling a bit when he recovered from that walker attack in the pool) so i hope he manages to get to say a final goodbye to Sasha.

Whatever the outcome Bob will have the last laugh though. Just a crap way to go.. Victim of the infection and the canabilism T_T"

Father Gabriel most likely turned away survivors or perhaps to an even more extreme theory locked some of them in the building. Something about how he was scared of the lone walker heading towards to him. Perhaps he caused their deaths indirectly or even perhaps directly?
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    So if Bob knew he had been bitten, why did he wait so long? Makes no sense. But then, as we know, the rate of infection is highly dependent on the importance of the character and plot... Hershel - immediate, whatshisface, Rick's friend at the start, - immediate. Others... ooh a bit later on when it fits in. To be fair, that's kind of how infections work anyway. But Bob wouldn't have sat there all evening knowing he could turn at any moment, surely?
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    I'm also intrigued by Gabriel's secret. I do like the fact that religion is not too dominant in this show, considering how anal the US is about that. That scene of Hershel last series, a man abandoned by his faith, was really moving. The Ben Howard track obviously helped but still, it was powerful.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'd be fine with Beth never appearing again and no explanation of why. Call it realism, if a zombie apocalypse can have that, but I could see that actually happening. People losing touch with the group and never being seen again having presumably met a sticky end. I don't suppose it would be dramatically satisfying but I would totally do that just to screw with the audience.
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Vault wrote: »
    I'll copy what i posted from the new article

"Plus it seems highly likely that he is infected (he seemed to hobbling a bit when he recovered from that walker attack in the pool) so i hope he manages to get to say a final goodbye to Sasha.

Whatever the outcome Bob will have the last laugh though. Just a crap way to go.. Victim of the infection and the canabilism T_T"

Father Gabriel most likely turned away survivors or perhaps to an even more extreme theory locked some of them in the building. Something about how he was scared of the lone walker heading towards to him. Perhaps he caused their deaths indirectly or even perhaps directly?

I got the feeling that she (the one with the glasses) was his wife maybe - from the photo he looked at of him and her right at the end). So he was probably overcome by guilt since I do believe that was the point of the "you'll burn in hell" message, he did indeed lock his parishoners out and wouldn't help them.
  • VaultVault Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I got the feeling that she (the one with the glasses) was his wife maybe - from the photo he looked at of him and her right at the end). So he was probably overcome by guilt since I do believe that was the point of the "you'll burn in hell" message, he did indeed lock his parishoners out and wouldn't help them.

I'm hoping for a more sinister twist. He killed her or used her as bait for his quick getaway. The greed is strong in him so far. :D
  • OrdinaryMorningOrdinaryMorning Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not 100% confirmed but it looks like two more comic book characters will be joining the show:
    Aaron

Denise Cloyd
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excelents wrote: »

The people in Woodbury also had that info , it's been over a year since the outbreak so I'd guess most would know by now .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    There's an internet rumour that Morales from season 1 will be coming back in season 5. The actor who plays him has been hinting that the character is still alive on twitter

A possible spoiler/rumour about a character.
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendoll wrote: »
    I'm also intrigued by Gabriel's secret. I do like the fact that religion is not too dominant in this show, considering how anal the US is about that. That scene of Hershel last series, a man abandoned by his faith, was really moving. The Ben Howard track obviously helped but still, it was powerful.

Gabriel referred to his parishioners as his "flock". I could be reading to much into it but perhaps they followed him like sheep and he manipulated them. He could have told them it was God's will for them to go out and scavenge for food (maybe there was no food drive at the church at all and it was all food they had gotten for him) while he stayed safe in the church and lived off what the brought back and perhaps locked some of them out during walker (or bandit) attacks. Eventually he sent them all to their deaths and had to venture out himself to search for food and thats when he met Rick's group. Thats my theory anyway:)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindset wrote: »
    I don't believe any of that Washington malarkey. If they had a way to exterminate the zombie virus (or whatever it is) wouldn't they end up killing everyone, because they are all infected?
    The idea is to kill the virus, not people that are infected with the virus. Mind you, if that technology existed in the real world, we would use it to kill Ebola and any number of other diseases. The only way they could be sure they could destroy it is if they made it. (Which is possible, although I thought the show wanted to leave the cause of zombies unexplained.)
    hendoll wrote: »
    So if Bob knew he had been bitten, why did he wait so long? Makes no sense. But then, as we know, the rate of infection is highly dependent on the importance of the character and plot... Hershel - immediate, whatshisface, Rick's friend at the start, - immediate. Others... ooh a bit later on when it fits in. To be fair, that's kind of how infections work anyway. But Bob wouldn't have sat there all evening knowing he could turn at any moment, surely?
    He couldn't turn at any moment. First he had to die, and presumably he felt fine. Then he had to turn, which also takes a while. Was Herschel immediate? I thought some time passed before Michonne found his head. The only really fast turn was Shane, and for him it was several minutes.
  • mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I think pretty people taste better..............I'm only being human!"

After all Rick and Glen have been through he just goes and hops on the short bus. Huh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I also didn't really see the logic in Maggie and Glen going off with Abraham's group. They were arguing last week that they all stick together now, no matter what, and now all of a sudden it's the opposite? All because Abraham and Rick got into a fight? Even Abraham admitted he was being an idiot on the map he wrote out, so why is Glen and Maggie (and Tara) going off with them? They dealt with the threat of the Terminus group, so I don't see why they couldn't just sit tight for a while to wait for Daryl and Carol to get back so they can all go together. Carol DID just save all their lives. Abraham doesn't at least owe her that?
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    I also didn't really see the logic in Maggie and Glen going off with Abraham's group. They were arguing last week that they all stick together now, no matter what, and now all of a sudden it's the opposite? All because Abraham and Rick got into a fight? Even Abraham admitted he was being an idiot on the map he wrote out, so why is Glen and Maggie (and Tara) going off with them? They dealt with the threat of the Terminus group, so I don't see why they couldn't just sit tight for a while to wait for Daryl and Carol to get back so they can all go together. Carol DID just save all their lives. Abraham doesn't at least owe her that?
    From Abraham's point of view, he has no clarification that Dayrl and Carol are coming back, and his mission is specifically to get Eugene to Washington. He hasn't got time to sit around and wait to see if some people who drove off will return or not.

As for why Glenn and Maggie (and Tara) went with them? I've no idea...