Conan on TruTV

ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching Conan on TruTv last night and surprised it was a repeat, but just been told by TruTv there was a technical hitch and the show couldn't be broadcast but it will go out Friday night instead, so extra CoCo for the end of the week. Just thought I'd share the news.

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who she?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Who she?

Conan O'Brien is an American comedian with his own chat show...
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't Conan the only show on TruTV that gets more than 10 viewers?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    Watching Conan on TruTv last night and surprised it was a repeat, but just been told by TruTv there was a technical hitch and the show couldn't be broadcast but it will go out Friday night instead, so extra CoCo for the end of the week. Just thought I'd share the news.

The time they have to edit it and convert it from 29.97 to 25 fps plus if need be, get a second copy is more than enough.
    Still, atleast they're showing it and not skipping it like some may have done.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Quite possibly! Although it'd get decent ratings if TruTV was actually included in the TV listings magazines.
    It's been over two months since the channel launched, and hardly any of the TV listings mags include it!

AFAIK ... it's only TV Choice that includes this channel in their listings. None of the others seem to do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I watch it recorded via Freesat. I had to set up another series record because the one I had set up was nolonger valid.

I've seen Conan not record before (only seems to happen with that show on that channel) and assumed it was the same problem.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    Quite possibly! Although it'd get decent ratings if TruTV was actually included in the TV listings magazines.
    It's been over two months since the channel launched, and hardly any of the TV listings mags include it!

AFAIK ... it's only TV Choice that includes this channel in their listings. None of the others seem to do.

Imagine how big a TV listings magazine would have to be to cover all the channels available in the UK..
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    Imagine how big a TV listings magazine would have to be to cover all the channels available in the UK..
    I asked TV & Satellite week about this pointing out that truTV is available on all platforms. An Assistant editor replied in the way you suggest. I answered that they include listings for ITV Encore which is only available on one platform (Sky).
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »

Thanks for the info, I was going to catch up over the weekend and would have been confused over what was going on!

It's good of TruTV to add the missed show to their schedule too, a lot of broadcasters wouldn't.

Personally i think TruTV's biggest problem isn't that its not in may TV guides, its that its in a pert of the Sky EPG that no one will find it without knowing about it in advance.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conan is ok to watch but not as good as Jay Leno use to be on CNBC.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    Personally i think TruTV's biggest problem isn't that its not in may TV guides, its that its in a pert of the Sky EPG that no one will find it without knowing about it in advance.

The schedule simply isn't strong enough. Tru TV's BARB ratings are really poor despite it being on Freeview.

The best content from Tru TV US is already on channels like Dave, Comedy Central or Lifetime. Recently 5* has started showing some of the "caught on camera" themed shows too.
  • racefreakracefreak Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eston Bleu wrote: »
    I watch it recorded via Freesat. I had to set up another series record because the one I had set up was nolonger valid.

I've seen Conan not record before (only seems to happen with that show on that channel) and assumed it was the same problem.

I've had the same problem with Conan not recording. I have a Sab ultimedia HD receiver and when I make a planned recording for conan it either doesn't record or it records a few minutes and then stops (file is always less than 100 mb in size). If I set the recording to repeat daily it is fine from day 2, but the first time the recording always fails. I thought it was my receiver but if more people have it there must be something wrong with the signal on tru-tv. Manual recording also works without problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The schedule simply isn't strong enough. Tru TV's BARB ratings are really poor despite it being on Freeview.

The best content from Tru TV US is already on channels like Dave, Comedy Central or Lifetime. Recently 5* has started showing some of the "caught on camera" themed shows too.

Turner has not had much luck with DTT CNN left, Nuts TV left and closed and now Tru TV is a bit of a niche. Doesn't help being in documentaries on Sky.

Perhaps if they added TCM or atleast a second TCM channel it would get viewers. TNT would be another opinion.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turner has not had much luck with DTT CNN left, Nuts TV left and closed and now Tru TV is a bit of a niche. Doesn't help being in documentaries on Sky.

Perhaps if they added TCM or atleast a second TCM channel it would get viewers. TNT would be another opinion.

I agree, with the exception of Conan its full of fairly weak content, for my tastes at least. But I still think being in the ‘documentaries’ section in the Sky EPG (and very high up in that section!) really doesn’t help.
    TLC offer the same sort of ‘reality/documentary’ programmes but the channels rates much better than TruTV, and I presume that’s because people stumble across it by chance given its good channel number in the ‘entertainment’ section of the EPG.

I think is Turner re-launched TNT in the UK, and did it right, it could do really well for them. And Conan would probably fit better on there too.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Despite being the best thing on it Conan is actually one of the lowest rated shows on the channel.

But it's been a ratings disaster generally TruTV.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tru TV hasn't got much content in my view.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »

Do more than ten people still buy listings magazines? :P
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would watch Conan more if they put who was on int he synopsis but its just always a generic one
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    i would watch Conan more if they put who was on int he synopsis but its just always a generic one
    Think of it the other way though. They put the guest names in the synopsis, and viewers either don't know or are not interested in the guests, and they still don't tune in.

Which is the lesser of two evils ? I think a generic synopsis.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Despite being the best thing on it Conan is actually one of the lowest rated shows on the channel.

But it's been a ratings disaster generally TruTV.

Ouch really?

So TruTV is a bit of a failure!

What's the highest rated?
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Ouch really?

So TruTV is a bit of a failure!

What's the highest rated?

Yep, its been a Tru disaster......

I'll get my coat.. :D
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Think of it the other way though. They put the guest names in the synopsis, and viewers either don't know or are not interested in the guests, and they still don't tune in.

Which is the lesser of two evils ? I think a generic synopsis.

There is always teamcoco.com to see who is on in the week ahead. I have noticed if it's not an episode from the night before as in the show is on a break, it's prefaced by continuity saying 'classic Conan' on TruTv.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »
    I asked TV & Satellite week about this pointing out that truTV is available on all platforms. An Assistant editor replied in the way you suggest. I answered that they include listings for ITV Encore which is only available on one platform (Sky).

I guess, because ITV itself is a very well-known and established brand it makes more sense to put their listings in, even though as you say, Encore is only available on one platform. I don't know how it works but is it a bit like supermarkets where big brands pay for the "best" space on the shelves? Do broadcasters pay for inclusion in TV listings mags?

TruTV isn't a well known brand in the UK, and by the sounds of it, will never be. I'd imagine if ratings don't pick up soon then it'll be another failure.
  • Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this show is surely heading for the chop. They don't even seem to be able to sell adverts for the breaks. They appear to be only showing extended promos for (the other three) shows on the channel. It's a shame. I like Conan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this show is surely heading for the chop. They don't even seem to be able to sell adverts for the breaks. They appear to be only showing extended promos for (the other three) shows on the channel. It's a shame. I like Conan.

They have started showing it late at night too.

Only things I watch on TruTV.