Options

Shameless Series 11 discussion thread

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
Forum Member
✭✭
So we're almost at the end of the road as this once brilliant comedy drama draws to a close. After a very lacklustre 10th series, lets hope that the swansong can salvage the reputation somewhat. The initial signs are promising- Lip is back and the show's creator Paul Abbott is back on board but will it be enough?

Comments

• Options
    Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When does it start?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please can you add a date, I thought the last one was ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooperone wrote: »
    Please can you add a date, I thought the last one was ok

All I know is that it's gonna be broadcast early this year. It's usually in January when the new offerings appear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I lost all interest in the programme when Paddy upped sticks. Quality went downhill as fast as f'k then.
  • Options
    wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I have it on good authority that Yvonne is returning for the final episode ;)
  • Options
    laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Excellent! I always thought her exit was a bit rushed for such a long term character so it will be good to see her make a proper exit. I also heard Lip I returning? Any other returns you know of?
  • Options
    laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    wodder18 wrote: »

Excellent! I always thought her exit was a bit rushed for such a long term character so it will be good to see her make a proper exit. I also heard Lip I returning? Any other returns you know of?
  • Options
    lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    MizManiac wrote: »
    I lost all interest in the programme when Paddy upped sticks. Quality went downhill as fast as f'k then.

Is this why Kelli Hollis was not on screen in Emmerdale just before Christmas when her character went to visit her sick grandad?

Hope she is in the last episode I loved Yvonne :D
  • Options
    actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I'd love all the Gallaghers to be there at the end, I can imagine all the actors / actresses would be willing to return with the possible exception of Ann-Marie Duff
  • Options
    wodder18wodder18 Posts: 127
    Forum Member

Yes Lip is returning too, I think he will be returning for the last several episodes. I haven't heard of any other returnees but I can imagine Kev will return since he came back for the 100th episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    MizManiac wrote: »

Yeah, after Paddy left the quality of a "gangsta" storyline went down hill but to be honest, the whole show lacked something. I did enjoy watching Shameless never the less.
    I'd love all the Gallaghers to be there at the end, I can imagine all the actors / actresses would be willing to return with the possible exception of Ann-Marie Duff

Why not Ann-Marie Duff?
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Ann-Marie Duff is returning according to DS. It will be brilliant.

I honestly think they will all come back...for Franks funeral. Just a theory.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The gradual loss of a lot of key characters for me is why this programme went downhill fast.

I hope it does go out on a high. The last couple of series it has become a parody of itself.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Fiona, Lip, Carl, Kev, Yvonne and Monica are all returning for the final series / episode. I might actually watch it now. The fact they all left was one of the reasons why the show turned to shit. Pity there's no Steve or Veronica, or maybe they're still in contact with them? I can't see Steve returning, I'm sure James McEvoy is too busy now in Hollywood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    Very pleased to hear that Ann-Marie Duff is returning. :) I would have thought they could have managed to get back the entire Gallagher family now if they have Fiona on board. Just missing Debbie, Ian and Liam now. They're still filming until the end of January so there may be some more announcements soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crash25 wrote: »
    Very pleased to hear that Ann-Marie Duff is returning. :) I would have thought they could have managed to get back the entire Gallagher family now if they have Fiona on board. Just missing Debbie, Ian and Liam now. They're still filming until the end of January so there may be some more announcements soon.

How old will Liam be now! He was about 3 at the start so 13/14? Thats really scary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    All the these Characters who are listed in this thread confirmed to return or is it just rumours?

I have just seen that Anne Marie Duff is definitely returning for the final series.

I didn't know about the others.

If they do return, this could be one of the best series for a very long time.

I hope it goes out on a high,because it was once a fantastic show.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Wonder which way they'll choose to end it. I suspect it could be on a low, eg Frank's funeral as mentioned above, but maybe it could be an OFAH style ending (without the later episodes to tarnish it!).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Frank could win the lottery and decide to leave chatsworth estate for good.

How would you end it?
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great that Fiona will be there but is still going to be a disapointing end without Veronica, Sheila, Ian and Debbieee! Sent by God, total angel... Never cared for Monica and Norma to be honest i could do without them.

James McEvoy was obviously NEVER going to return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wodder18 wrote: »

Ooh, that would be an interesting one. There would be a good reason for her to return with Chesney still living on the estate. Maybe he hits a downward spiral of some kind and Yvonne comes back to sort him out?

Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Ann-Marie Duff is returning according to DS. It will be brilliant.

I honestly think they will all come back...for Franks funeral. Just a theory.

Delighted that Anne Marie Duff is reprising her role. Didn't think it would ever happen. I take it that she'll probably have split up with Steve as they'll need some reason to explain his absence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20956349
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From that link

"The plot will see the Gallagher children 'summoned to show solidarity' for their dad, Frank."

Hmmm...cryptic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    From that link

"The plot will see the Gallagher children 'summoned to show solidarity' for their dad, Frank."

Hmmm...cryptic.

Maybe he is told that he's terminally ill? Given his copious drinking, it would be a miracle if there were no serious physical repercussions.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming court looms. Or maybe Westminster.
    Scrubber wrote: »
    James McEvoy was obviously NEVER going to return.
    Although with his wife returning there is a chance. It does seem most will only return for the final episode though, so not sure if I'll bother with any of the first 13. Indeed in a way to get people interested in the final series bringing Fiona back for the first episode rather than the last might work better.

I finally gave up on Shameless last series and didn't watch any of it. I do think though the show coped well with losing most of it's cast over the years (it's interesting now seeing the US version going a different path by not having Fiona leave) and although it had a couple of blips along the way generally speaking the first 6-7 series were top stuff, with the Maguires rebooting it quite nicely.

However the show needed another reboot a couple of years ago when more of the original clan were leaving and replacements were coming in individually when what it really needed was another big dysfunctional family to take centre stage - as ultimately that is what Shameless was all about - family! It's therefore no surprise it quickly got to the point of no return leaving C4 with no choice but to axe it (although I think the official line is Paul Abbott ended it).

C4 though (and television) desperately needs the next Shameless now - they've not really had a hit returning series (on C4 at least) since both Shameless and No Angels premiered back in early 2004. Sirens had potential IMO and I'd have given that a second series over Fresh Meat personally.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

I finally gave up on Shameless last series and didn't watch any of it.

I gave up years ago, i did tune back in when Kev returned and loved it (though i wish V was there too) and i tunes in when Marty returned but i didn't stay long as the writers didn't keep him true to character.