Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Not as laugh out loud funny this week as previous episodes.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG

he's being SARDONIC

about his OWN program

why hasn't this man got a frikking knighthood yet?????????????
    :D
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I did laugh out at the Sony ' Kevin Eldon' character!
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Too many titles in the way but was that a woodpecker?:D
  • SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was just fumbling along until Douglas stanhopes bit. From then on it was classic. Great program.
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Keep calm and f*** off!"
    "Piss weak musical farts."

I burst into laughter when he said those phrases and I loved the piss take of the PS4 announcement! :D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A decent episode. The Brits coverage had me laughing out loud, the Sony stuff, as I am PS3 owner, gave me a knowing smile. The Kelly's Court was just scary - who thinks that is decent telly?

A touch of self-deprecation with the film bit. Has he reading the internet forums?

And no Your View bit tonight.
  • AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Keep finding myself when I watch this feeling the same way as I did when I watched Four Lions... it's funny, but I know the person behind it is capable of being so much better
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    They do have a go at a lot of reality shows in this programme and sometimes I think it's just Endemol having a pop at it's reality TV rivals but on the other hand doesn't attacking reality shows undermine reality TV producers as a whole, of which Endemol is one of the biggest?
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of almost-fell-off-my-chair-laughing moments this week:

Mumford & Sons = Trust Fund Wurzels

Emile Sande = Caterwauling Ice Cream

I've never seen that Harlem Shake thing but then again I avoid YouTube because 99.999% of its content is utter shit.

And top marks to Charlie for criticising his own film review segment. He's clearly been reading viewer comments :)
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not quite sure why some people have to be half-naked during the Harlem Shake...
    sandydune wrote: »
    I've not seen the Harlem Shake until today.:eek:

I'm quite glad this Harlem Shake bollocks has completely passed me by
    Ænima wrote: »
    'I'm Doug Stanhope, and that's why I drink', is it wierd that that still tickles me? :p

Me too. Best bit of the show.
    Anyhoo, might have to look up some of his standup, he's pretty good.

I haven't seen him live but I remember him on a C4 show about immigration and he championed the Polish coming to the UK: "Polish women... they're hot!" And he's right :D
    "Keep calm and f*** off!"
    "Piss weak musical farts."

I burst into laughter when he said those phrases and I loved the piss take of the PS4 announcement! :D

I missed the live announcement but afterwards it looked like I hadn't missed a great deal.
    jcafcw wrote: »
    A touch of self-deprecation with the film bit. Has he reading the internet forums?

And no Your View bit tonight.

Likewise, he's been reading the forums :)

And tonight's show was the last show proper. Next week is a compilation. Zzzz.....
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I haven't seen him live but I remember him on a C4 show about immigration and he championed the Polish coming to the UK: "Polish women... they're hot!" And he's right :D

That would have annoyed me, he's an American and therefore immigration to the the UK is none of his business.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bits I'm not keen on were dropped this week, I hope poetry corner, points of you and the film panel don't come back. ;) That Harlem shake thing, it may have been the next big thing once but now you have people like Noel Edmonds doing it, it's time for the next next big thing.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't believe the American newswoman who asked Mo Farah "Have you run before?"
    Even Mo himself did a double-take at that idiocy.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And tonight's show was the last show proper. Next week is a compilation. Zzzz.....

Tut! Five episodes. Brooker, you lazy bas<bleep>rd!

Thanks for the info. That'll save me wasting half an hour of my life watching it. Or electricity Skyplussing it.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the other posters that the minor tweaks made the show all the better for it this week.
    It looks as though he may well have considered some criticisms and it appears that he can take a bit of flak and even have a bit of a pop at the shows own film section with a bit of self deprecating humour.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't believe the American newswoman who asked Mo Farah "Have you run before?"
    Even Mo himself did a double-take at that idiocy.

He won two Olympic gold medals, you insular, racist, yankee b***h!!!!:mad:
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does the BBC have this fascination on compilation shows?

They used to do shows showing bits cut from the other shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aww really? That sucks :( I hated how he used to do that on Newswipe. It's just plain lazy IMO. No one wants to see a compilation episode, Charlie. :rolleyes:

Anyway, a vast improvement on last week's outing tonight. Can't think of a bit I didn't enjoy to be honest. And I did rather love him taking the piss out of the film review with guests bit. :p

"Can I just say, I'm finding this whole sequence really self-indulgent." Indeed Charlie, indeed. :D
  • doom&amp;gloomdoom&amp;gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    The bits I'm not keen on were dropped this week, I hope poetry corner, points of you and the film panel don't come back. ;) That Harlem shake thing, it may have been the next big thing once but now you have people like Noel Edmonds doing it, it's time for the next next big thing.

Noel Edmunds is a TV visionary, Ant and Dec are still doing the Gotchas and now there's a whole series filming people watching TV which he did way back every Saturday evening.

Well either that or TV has run out of ideas, what about a quiz show about TV programmes? :D
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Why does the BBC have this fascination on compilation shows?

They used to do shows showing bits cut from the other shows.

Channel 4 are the worse ones for those types of shows.

They are very cheat to produce as the show they are using has done and paid for all the production - All they have to pay for is an editor, a presenter/voiceover person and a small amount per clip.

When you have hours to fill, this is the cheapest way to fill it.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Noel Edmunds is a TV visionary, Ant and Dec are still doing the Gotchas and now there's a whole series filming people watching TV which he did way back every Saturday evening.

Well either that or TV has run out of ideas, what about a quiz show about TV programmes? :D

When you say Gotchas, is that a bit like candid camera but with famous people? I don't watch programmes where the audience claps along whenever music is played, I accidentally caught a bit of Ant & Dec's the other week and I nearly put my foot through the screen. I'm dreading the gamble of skipping through Comic Relief for fear of landing on one of the many many many clap-a-long segments there'll be. ;)
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    He won two Olympic gold medals, you insular, racist, yankee b***h!!!!:mad:

I like the juxtaposition there :D

Great episode, ended on a high. I even liked Barry Shootpeas.
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the other posters that the minor tweaks made the show all the better for it this week.
    It looks as though he may well have considered some criticisms and it appears that he can take a bit of flak and even have a bit of a pop at the shows own film section with a bit of self deprecating humour.
    Also Charlie needs to get out and about and ask the people on the streets what news they have seen, my mum tells me regularly about what news is in the hello magazine, I find it most entertaining.:D
  • doom&amp;gloomdoom&amp;gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    When you say Gotchas, is that a bit like candid camera but with famous people?

That's the one.