The Sanatorium (Part 9)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Just quoting myself to add, Kay, that his book came out quite some time ago (May 2012) :D He does have a new series of Splash to promote though, although my post above still stands :)

Quoting yourself - love how things never change;-);-):D
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Deeferone wrote: »
    I have never understood why announcing your sexual orientation is worthy of NEWS. I have never felt the need to announce to the world I am straight, gay or bi-sexual. It actual angers me a little that people feel they have to make such a private part of their personality a public matter - it does not and should not define people. I feel by Gay people buying in to this stupidity of announcing their sexuality is allowing and adding to an already very judgemental society - its not about being loud and proud in my eyes. Dont buy into the stupidity of peoples need to know - be loud and proud by BEING, not by announcing.:)

Brilliant post.....

I don't think anyone's sexuality matters at all...

The only thing I am finding a bit bizarre about the whole Tom Daley thing is the massive age difference between him and his partner. He is still in his teens isn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    augusta92 wrote: »
    Brilliant post.....

I don't think anyone's sexuality matters at all...

The only thing I am finding a bit bizarre about the whole Tom Daley thing is the massive age difference between him and his partner. He is still in his teens isn't he?

I dont know Marion - that's the point isnt it - all I heard was that Tom Daley had announced he was Gay.
  • irishlaurelsirishlaurels Posts: 23,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never understood why announcing your sexual orientation is worthy of NEWS. I have never felt the need to announce to the world I am straight, gay or bi-sexual. It actual angers me a little that people feel they have to make such a private part of their personality a public matter - it does not and should not define people. I feel by Gay people buying in to this stupidity of announcing their sexuality is allowing and adding to an already very judgemental society - its not about being loud and proud in my eyes. Dont buy into the stupidity of peoples need to know - be loud and proud by BEING, not by announcing.:)

Hi Angela.....totally agree with you:)
  • irishlaurelsirishlaurels Posts: 23,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Homeland......Oooooooooooh Errrrrrrrrrr

Can't wait for the final next week :)

Hope you are all keeping well and not getting too stressed out about Xmas;)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hey Angie :)

I agree with you, but the fact is that the press not only make a big deal of it, they go out of their way to dig and dig until they feel they have enough to make an expose out of it. At least Tom Daley made a home video, put it on his YouTube channel and told his fans. No fanfare, no selling it to the media, and no real detail ... he stumped the press by taking control. The truth is that he is a brand now, and has a following - a large female following to boot, and he went for the sympathy vote rather than the 'he's been trying to keep it from us' vote; it's sad that it should matter, but it still does in this world, as we all realistically know. It took away the chance from the press to say 'oooh look, Tom Daley's gay and we can exclusively reveal that he's dating XXX who once made a sex tape' and turning it into an even more sordid story.

Of course it's unimportant, although many a LGBT person may have felt proud that he did and encouraged by the fact that he chose to do it, and in his own way. It's easy for us to say it doesn't and shouldn't define people but, if that were how it really was, then it wouldn't still be such an emotional and psychological struggle for young people to 'come out'.

With regard to the press 'outing' celebs - I'm horrified by this and the fact that they seem to feel it's their god-given right to do so, uncaring of whatever the consequences may be for a person, their life, their career (and sadly it can affect a person's career).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »
    They're very basic really, aren't they, but better than nothing :D <<< I hadn't noticed he had turned a kind of turquoise blue- green, by the way ;) That's my eyesight for you! :o Or should it be :cool: (visually impaired smiley, as I like to think of him....)

Have been enjoying the protest thread up to now, but I have to say that there is only so long that even I can moan......it is what it is, now, I think :D

Hope all's well with you and your family Ali xx
    YOu're right, it became a very tedious thread :D

Posting this whilst internet works - think I may need new ethernet wires, I use a very long extension one as my main phone plug is out in the hallway, think it's getting old!

Mum has first chemo next Weds, 18th :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the :( being blue, as in 'I'm feeling blue' lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you to the mods for editing my above post as requested, that was fast :) x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good article re. Iain Duncan Smith http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/10/make-no-mistake-iain-duncan-smith-end-social-security?CMP=twt_gu

Make no mistake: Iain Duncan Smith wants the end of social security
    Don't let the bluster, incompetence and misinformation obscure the Quiet Man's true, Tory purpose: destroying the welfare safety net.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree - it shouldn't be necessary. BUT I can see that, especially for sportsmen in football or rugby, it is very difficult to come out while they are still in a team. So I guess the more that do it, the less interesting news it becomes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the Mandela memorial service yesterday and was sad that it was just an array of VIPs essentially, who didn't really have anything of great importance to say - not really! The crowd made it a good event but I thought there would be much more music and less pronouncing.

EXCEPT Obama! - Oh boy, does he know how to make a speech! What an orator! And he said all the things that the others should have been saying - and pointing out all the terrible things that are going on in so many different countries at the moment. Totally brilliant.

Not sure what Bush was doing there! :confused:
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    kfb wrote: »
    I watched the Mandela memorial service yesterday and was sad that it was just an array of VIPs essentially, who didn't really have anything of great importance to say - not really! The crowd made it a good event but I thought there would be much more music and less pronouncing.

EXCEPT Obama! - Oh boy, does he know how to make a speech! What an orator! And he said all the things that the others should have been saying - and pointing out all the terrible things that are going on in so many different countries at the moment. Totally brilliant.

I watched it too and felt similarly. It's also being reported today that the male 'signer' who stood next to all the speakers and signed, was in fact a complete fake! :o He has been 'outed' by the SA signing association :(

Agree about Obama. He was about the only redeeming aspect of the whole shebang! Eulogised Mandela beautifully, and made brilliant political points.

Fantastic! :D
  • nathalie1978nathalie1978 Posts: 10,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - it shouldn't be necessary. BUT I can see that, especially for sportsmen in football or rugby, it is very difficult to come out while they are still in a team. So I guess the more that do it, the less interesting news it becomes.
    I never heard off anny European footballers during there cariers that played to come out. Its a big no no aparently in football.

i so was waiting to watch it then just as it started our cabel and internet went down>:(>:( so
    I saw bits and pieces on YT.
    I always like Obama speaches that men can talk:) wery charismatic:)
  • augusta92augusta92 Posts: 8,677
    Forum Member
    Hey Angie :)

I agree with you, but the fact is that the press not only make a big deal of it, they go out of their way to dig and dig until they feel they have enough to make an expose out of it. At least Tom Daley made a home video, put it on his YouTube channel and told his fans. No fanfare, no selling it to the media, and no real detail ... he stumped the press by taking control. The truth is that he is a brand now, and has a following - a large female following to boot, and he went for the sympathy vote rather than the 'he's been trying to keep it from us' vote; it's sad that it should matter, but it still does in this world, as we all realistically know. It took away the chance from the press to say 'oooh look, Tom Daley's gay and we can exclusively reveal that he's dating XXX who once made a sex tape' and turning it into an even more sordid story.

Of course it's unimportant, although many a LGBT person may have felt proud that he did and encouraged by the fact that he chose to do it, and in his own way. It's easy for us to say it doesn't and shouldn't define people but, if that were how it really was, then it wouldn't still be such an emotional and psychological struggle for young people to 'come out'.

With regard to the press 'outing' celebs - I'm horrified by this and the fact that they seem to feel it's their god-given right to do so, uncaring of whatever the consequences may be for a person, their life, their career (and sadly it can affect a person's career).[/QUOTE]

I agree, we do live in a strange world....

its so hard isn't it, as I do sort of understand the fascination with the cult of celebrity and how we want to know all the gory details...both negative and positive.

The world has got both smaller and bigger with the growth of the internet.

Im glad about the way that Tom Daley has handled it, as he has taken all the steam out of everyones sails, who wanted to have an axe to grind, so in a way he was pretty adept at how he dealt with it.

My only slight frustration, is that we need to be careful that we leave enough space to actually discuss issues. So for instance . with immigration....now we are hearing from the media, that we cant encourage certain European nationals to come to work in the uk. A policy I am not remotely happy about. I think we should be able to welcome all nationalities. But some of this antipathy towards foreigners seems to stem from the massive influx of eastern European nationals into the UK, especially in East Anglia.

But for years, we have been told officially that there isn't any issue at all with the huge number of eastern Europeans coming into the UK and that we can happily absorb the hundreds of Polish and Latvian, lithuanian nationals etc that come here to work. :confused:

this has meant we have no room to actually acknowledge or discuss any issues this mass immigration causes. So for instance our schools have loads of children with English as an additional language, at a time of austerity when budgets are being cut. so although 20 years ago, monies were made available to support second language children across the country, by giving them extra money to employ bi lngual teaching assistants etc, that money no longer exists. so these children are in a position where it really is sink or swim.

And that cant make it easy for some schools and other children who are having to devote time and extra resources to these children. Its a situation that is bound to cause resentments. when if people had acknowledged the issues in the first place, at least it might cause less resentment and promote greater understanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, phone call at 9:15 from school today, deputy head telling me she thinks Laura has ringworm (not a worm but a fungal skin infection). For months now I've been saying that she seems to have an irritation from her hand splint, and nobody has said a word. Now all of a sudden it's 'she must see a doctor today, this is highly contageous'.

Luckily our surgery has a walk-in-and-wait clinic twice daily. I called them up, they said it was empty (funny how nobody's ill at Xmas :D) and so I sped up to the school, took Laura to the doctor - we were in and out and back at school by 10:35 :D Yes it's ringworm, no it's not HIGHLY contageous but mildly so, and all she needs is a cream applied twice daily until it clears.

Can't believe the TA told Laura she'd be off school until next week! Yes, it was more than likely caused by the hand splint, which I've always maintained is pointless anyway at this late stage in the game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, with regard to how being gay should be un-newsworthy these days but isn't, it's still a battle out there in many places.

Gay marriage became legal a while ago in Australia's capital, but this legislation has been overturned, meaning 27 couples have had to have their marriages annulled. I truly despair. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10512612/Australias-top-court-overrules-gay-marriage-in-capital.html
    Forum Member
    So, phone call at 9:15 from school today, deputy head telling me she thinks Laura has ringworm (not a worm but a fungal skin infection). For months now I've been saying that she seems to have an irritation from her hand splint, and nobody has said a word. Now all of a sudden it's 'she must see a doctor today, this is highly contageous'.

Luckily our surgery has a walk-in-and-wait clinic twice daily. I called them up, they said it was empty (funny how nobody's ill at Xmas :D) and so I sped up to the school, took Laura to the doctor - we were in and out and back at school by 10:35 :D Yes it's ringworm, no it's not HIGHLY contageous but mildly so, and all she needs is a cream applied twice daily until it clears.

Can't believe the TA told Laura she'd be off school until next week! Yes, it was more than likely caused by the hand splint, which I've always maintained is pointless anyway at this late stage in the game.

Glad you got it sorted Ali :)

Thank goodness you have the car....where would you be without it? All the best with your mum and dad too x
    Forum Member
    So, with regard to how being gay should be un-newsworthy these days but isn't, it's still a battle out there in many places.

Gay marriage became legal a while ago in Australia's capital, but this legislation has been overturned, meaning 27 couples have had to have their marriages annulled. I truly despair. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10512612/Australias-top-court-overrules-gay-marriage-in-capital.html

That's extraordinary ! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you got it sorted Ali :)

Thank goodness you have the car....where would you be without it? All the best with your mum and dad too x
    I know, having a car is such a relief for ALL of us now! When Laura turns 16 and has to face ATOS in an attempt to qualify for PIP, it'll be the end for us all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's extraordinary ! :o
    Sad isn't it! So much for enlightened times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On a lighter note, there is a spoof twitter account set up @MemorialSpeaker which is hysterical, take a look :Dhttps://twitter.com/MemorialSigner
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was reading the funny reviews on the Katie Price/Peter Andre CD on Amazon, as I fancied a laugh.

Here's a good article about the funniest reviews on Amazon http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6189803/Amazon-hijacked-10-funniest-review-threads.html Some really funny ones :D

"Crystal Bic Ballpoint pen, black

i) All my life I have been scratching away at paper for up to five seconds each time I wish to write anew. This unwanted delay in 'ink flow' has cost me roughly 26 minutes of my so far twenty one years on this planet. Increasingly disillusioned with the state of the Brtish pen industry I decided to 'Go French' and purchase a Bic Crystal Ballpoint Pen. I could not be happier.
    ii) "Worked fine with my right hand, but when I came to use my left hand my writing came out looking like the work of a complete imbecile. I can only assume Bic have created a right-handed only pen, and would caution left-handers to 'try before you buy'."
    iii) I wondered how long it would take for the rest of the world to discover this little beauty. My only concern is that now the secrets out of the bag, i might find it more difficult to find a replacement for the one i currently own. For this reason i will be ordering one or two as emergency back-up just in case."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, the irony of David Cameron effectively being ticked off by the Judge in the PAs to Nigella trial for making favourable comments about her while the trial is still in progress! Just a week or so after his District Attorney was instructing the twitterati on what they could and could not say about ongoing trials. I think that will one day be David Cameron's downfall - he can't resist a microphone or a camera!!!! I have been following a BBC programme about food with Adam - the countryfile farmer - and Nigel Slater, and guess who turned up in front of the camera at the farmers' market in the last episode!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, we've had various explanations of the phantom Memorial Signer! Interestingly, the ANC have remained remarkably silent, not even an apology!

On the lunchtime news in an interview he said he was a schizophrenic and had voices in his head telling him what to sign.
    Earlier - this may have been an interpretation of the above - he said he was receiving spiritual messages on how to sign.
    Now, the company that supposedly employed him has disappeared!

I suppose the big concern would be about security - but WTH - nothing happened!