PIN Lockable Landline Phones

My elderly brother-in-law has the misfortune to be related to a younger person who has no qualms about making phone calls using his BT phone line whenever his back is turned.

Using the BT barring service to prevent such use isn't an option because his care alarm needs to have open access to the line in an emergency.

I'm sure this question has been raised in the past but I wonder if anyone has any up to date info on phones which are pin lockable.

Comments

• WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BT8500 has PIN enabled call barring.....great as you get advanced call blocker too so no more unwanted cold calls
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    Weetibix wrote: »
    the BT8500 has PIN enabled call barring.....great as you get advanced call blocker too so no more unwanted cold calls

Thanks for that I'll have a search for a user manual.

Does the call barring definitely work for outgoing calls in addition to the incoming Truecall screening?

Edit: Just found the manual and it seems to have a very comprehensive "Call Control" menu. Thanks again.

http://www.ligo.co.uk/data/manuals/BT%208500%20-%20User%20manual.pdf
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I concur with Weetibix. I bought the earlier BT 6500 because it can block nuisance calls (does this very well). Under parential controls it can bar outgoing calls to mobiles, international, premium or all dialled calls - uses 4 digit PIN. I'm guessing the BT 8500 has these features, and more.
    Forum Member
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    I concur with Weetibix. I bought the earlier BT 6500 because it can block nuisance calls (does this very well). Under parential controls it can bar outgoing calls to mobiles, international, premium or all dialled calls - uses 4 digit PIN. I'm guessing the BT 8500 has these features, and more.

Yes they do look very similar. I though the 6500 might still have been available at a lower price but just discovered a refurbished 8500 for £22.99 on ebay so that should do the trick.

Thank you both very much for the advice. :)
    Forum Member
    Got the phone set up and it works better than expected.

Numbers previously entered into the VIP list can be dialled out without even needing to unlock the phone with the PIN, while any other outgoing calls are blocked.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're good tech for the money - very configurable. I often have mine set to 'do not disturb' if I'm busy - with VIP allowed or not.