David Bowie Announces New Album

123457»

Comments

• mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Theo_Bear wrote: »
    Song's OK, nothing special. Pretty mournful ballad for a comeback.
    I think it's incredibly dull. What a let down. But then again Bowie stopped making decent albums after Scary Monsters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's incredibly dull. What a let down. But then again Bowie stopped making decent albums after Scary Monsters.

Have you heard the whole album?
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as good as Heathen or Reality, but it's still pretty special. Some people are determined to believe he hasn't been any good since Scary Monsters, yet his next album after featured three of his most iconic singles...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    It's not as good as Heathen or Reality, but it's still pretty special. Some people are determined to believe he hasn't been any good since Scary Monsters, yet his next album after featured three of his most iconic singles...

That's true, but can you really say the 'Let's Dance' album is on par with 'Scary Monsters' or his 70s classics? Singles aside, I'd say the album is very patchy - and he only got worse on his next 2 albums. He has released some great stuff since, and made a few really strong albums, but 'Scary Monsters' is still his last truly great album as far as I'm concerned.

As for the new album, I'd say it's more consistent than 'Reality' (though I do really like that album) and probably about as good as 'Heathen' overall, which is one of my favourite post-'Scary Monsters' Bowie albums. I love that 'The Next Day' is of a similar quality as his previous two releases despite the 10 year gap.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »
    That's true, but can you really say the 'Let's Dance' album is on par with 'Scary Monsters' or his 70s classics? Singles aside, I'd say the album is very patchy - and he only got worse on his next 2 albums. He has released some great stuff since, and made a few really strong albums, but 'Scary Monsters' is still his last truly great album as far as I'm concerned.

As for the new album, I'd say it's more consistent than 'Reality' (though I do really like that album) and probably about as good as 'Heathen' overall, which is one of my favourite post-'Scary Monsters' Bowie albums. I love that 'The Next Day' is of a similar quality as his previous two releases despite the 10 year gap.

Although Let's Dance isn't as good as Scary Monsters, it's still a fine album. Some say his classic run of albums were from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters, but for me it's from The Man Who Sold The World to Let's Dance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After listening to The Next Day for a long enough period, I can say that I think some people are overrating it. It's good, but I firmly believe both Heathen and Reality are better.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    After listening to The Next Day for a long enough period, I can say that I think some people are overrating it. It's good, but I firmly believe both Heathen and Reality are better.

It's more immediate than both those albums...not sure. The track Heathen (The Rays) is probably better than anything on The Next Day. Slip Away and Cactus are great too. I love the production on that album. Don't know Reality as well.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it's just a promo single. I don't think people will buy it as a single, but it may shift even more albums. :)
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic....don't think we'll see it on the telly though ;)
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YouTube have already banned it.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Which, I assume, was exactly the reaction he was after. Clever boy :D
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Which, I assume, was exactly the reaction he was after. Clever boy :D

He's not doing bad for a pensioner is he :D
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love the album but that is one of the weaker songs imo, possibly the weakest
  • RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    love the album but that is one of the weaker songs imo, possibly the weakest

Have to beg to differ there....it's my fave!