Doctor Who 2016 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Schedule

Comments

• TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    Got my Underwater Menace DVD today and JUST watched it... I'm not picky! I'm happy with the DVD! Granted it does not have the LC subtitles. But I have seen worse! I would be happy with MORE DVD's like this just to have them on DVD!

Sweet!

I am going down to my local Barnes and Noble next week anyways. They are having a 40% or 50% sale on DVD/Blu-Rays and I am going to pick up Series 9 then. This means that I can pick up The Underwater Menace while I am at it. :):):)

With The Underwater Menace finally released in the US, that now makes the list:

The Complete First Series (Blu-Ray): UK: Released, US: June 21st
    Series Five, Part Two: US: July 19th
    The Complete Second Series (Blu-ray): US: August 23rd
    Series Eight, Part One (DVD): US: September 20th
    Weeping Angels (DVD): US: October 4th
    The Complete Third Series (Blu-ray): US: November 15th
    Series Eight, Part Two (DVD): US: December 13th
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    Not one classic adventure in that list is depressing.

Why cant Morris just release Marco Polo.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not one classic adventure in that list is depressing.

Why cant Morris just release Marco Polo.

It appears that the 'discovery' of Marco Polo is nothing but wishful thinking based on zero evidence, and even if it has been found it's clearly not been returned to the BBC anyway.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morris had nothing to do with Marco Polo. The bbc were supposed to be matching the audio to an off air silent cine recording. Either it was a hoax or it wasn't of transmission quality
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up my copy of Underwater Menace today. :)
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    It appears that the 'discovery' of Marco Polo is nothing but wishful thinking based on zero evidence, and even if it has been found it's clearly not been returned to the BBC anyway.

The rumour at the time was that it was to be Web/Enemy/Marco returned and some claimed Morris held back Marco.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumour at the time was that it was to be Web/Enemy/Marco returned and some claimed Morris held back Marco.

The crucial word here is rumour. There's been no concrete evidence at all re Marco Polo, it's all wishful thinking.
    Forum Member
    Still its a shame that other episode went walkies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anybody in the US who is interested, Barnes & Noble's semi-annual sale starts next Tuesday, the 14th, and it runs through Monday the 20th. I will take advantage of it to purchase Series 9 on Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, it ends the day before Series 1 is finally released on Blu-Ray here in the US, so I can't take advantage of it for that Series. :(

During the sale, all DVDs and Blu-Rays are 40% off. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hooray! My Arc of Infinity came in today! Now, I finally have every single extant episode of the 20th Century Doctor Who. Now I just have to wait as Doctor Who: Series 1-4, Class: Series 1 and, finally, Doctor Who Series 10 are put out on Blu-Ray and then I will have everything. :):):)

Hopefully, they will all be out by this time next year. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be slightly off topic but since i have long since finished collecting dr who on dvd as the urge is there to collect i have moved on to other classic bbc stuff on dvd mainly comedy dads army, some mothers do have em, the likely lads, steptoe and son. The likely lads which i got today is similar to dr who in that only 8 out of 20 filmed episodes exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be slightly off topic but since i have long since finished collecting dr who on dvd as the urge is there to collect i have moved on to other classic bbc stuff on dvd mainly comedy dads army, some mothers do have em, the likely lads, steptoe and son. The likely lads which i got today is similar to dr who in that only 8 out of 20 filmed episodes exist.

I have no idea about Dad's Army, but from what I have gleaned from reading in this forum, aren't a lot of those episodes missing and presumed wiped forever like a lot of early Doctor Who?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dad's army has fared very well compared to dr who. Only 3 out of 80 episodes missing. One missing a stripe for Frazer the audio has been found and the episode has been animated in the same way as the tenth planet 4, moon base 2 and 4 etc. Only released on BBC store though. The other 2 episodes are completely missing although in the 70s they rerecorded most of the episodes for radio and thankfully those versions of the 2 missing episodes made it to the complete DVD set. Other similarities to who. In the same way as planet of the daleks 3 only existed in black and white the episode room at the bottom was restored to colour using the same colour recovery techniques. Frustratingly the version on the DVD set is in black and white. I have an off air colour recording on a dvd+r disc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is now June 21st and The Complete First Series has finally been released here in the US. That makes the list:

Series Five, Part Two: US: July 19th
    The Complete Second Series (Blu-ray): US: August 23rd
    Series Eight, Part One (DVD): US: September 20th
    Weeping Angels (DVD): US: October 4th
    The Complete Third Series (Blu-ray): US: November 15th
    Series Eight, Part Two (DVD): US: December 13th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up my Series One on Blu-Ray today and, for the guy who was wanting all of his stuff to match, it is in the slim-line, smaller case. I hope that this helps.

Also, I have been watching through The Complete Ninth Series which I bought last week. I haven't formed any opinions on the content as of yet because I am still watching it, but I do like Capaldi as The Doctor. He is a lot of fun (the electric guitar and sunglasses are a bit much, though (although at least he can play well)). Anyways, I am glad that they did include both Christmas Specials, since, as noted above, it would have been a long time waiting for The Husbands of River Song to be released in a box set otherwise. :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for your review of season 9 theophile. Hope you enjoy heaven sent which has become one of my all time top 10 doctor who episodes. Sleep no more however is one of my worst. Roughing it along with the twin dilemma, time of the rani. Hell bent best watched without spoilers so would only discuss if I knew you had already watched that one. Enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

Seriously? Seriously? Seriously?

Clara Who, Clara Who, Clara Who.

Four and a half billion years?

Adric died, oh, well who cares? The Doctor didn't try to save him afterwards, but for her, he will die and fight over and over again in intense agony for four and a half billion years? Nobody is that important. Nobody. And she lives in the end? Seriously?

And she was able to reverse the device which she had never seen and erase The Doctor's memory? Seriously? And The Doctor just allows her to do this? Seriously?

How did the little Game of Thrones girl remember the events surrounding Clara's death after four and a half billion years when she couldn't remember her own name after only a thousand years? She said that she had a limited amount of memory. I guess that Clara was just that important. Moffat obviously thinks so.

Arrrrrrrgh! Arrrrrrrrgh! Arrrrrrrrgh! Arrrrrrrrgh! Arrrrrrrrgh!

I am woman, hear me roar! I am the female companion and I am perfect. I am better than The Doctor. I can do everything that he can, only better. I am surprised by nothing and I can understand and take in the entire universe even better than The Doctor.

If you are a man, you die, but if you are a female, you are important and get to live. The dozen male Vikings died. Not a tear for them. The two women (Clara and Me) survive. Me is sick, we must save her. She will live literally forever. The group of male soldiers go into the house, they all die. It is o.k., they are male and, therefore, expendable. Osgood is important, so they are female. The death of one of them (a female actually died? What?) casts a pall on two episodes. But, of course, she is eventually replaced because women can't stay dead. The head of UNIT, female, important, lives despite all of the soldiers dying. The poor guy who meets the crow dies horribly even though all he did was take the curse from the female (which he did because she had to live obviously). Even the woman supposedly murdered in that episode actually lived. Clara, despite all odds, since she is female, lives and lives forever, apparently. The Time Lord General was male, therefore he must die and become female because that is what one must do to live in the Moffat era.

The name of the show is Doctor Who, not Clara Who and I am tired of feeling expendable in your world just because I am male.

Goodbye Moffat and good riddance.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    and breathe... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    and breathe... :D

I notice that there is no refutation to the facts that all of the men die. Of course, there can't be since they all die.

On another note, my friends and I, in our main Doctor Who watching group, watched the first two episodes of Invasion of The Dinosaurs tonight. The first episode was in black and white. I thought that all of the recovered-in-only-black-and-white Pertwee episodes had been colorized. Why was this one not? Do I have an old DVD? Is there a special edition where it has been colorized?

We are almost all of the way through Pertwee, with all of it in color, and we run into this single black and white episode; it was a bit jarring. LOL! :)
  • Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    I notice that there is no refutation to the facts that all of the men die. Of course, there can't be since they all die.

On another note, my friends and I, in our main Doctor Who watching group, watched the first two episodes of Invasion of The Dinosaurs tonight. The first episode was in black and white. I thought that all of the recovered-in-only-black-and-white Pertwee episodes had been colorized. Why was this one not? Do I have an old DVD? Is there a special edition where it has been colorized?

We are almost all of the way through Pertwee, with all of it in color, and we run into this single black and white episode; it was a bit jarring. LOL! :)

It must have been an older DVD, I don't think Dinosaurs was fully restored in colour all that long ago at all.
    Forum Member

To be fair, with the exception of Adric, your examples were not related to Companions. Companions rarely die whether they are male or female. When it's non-companions they are all fair game, male or not! Plenty of females have died last season that weren't companions.

Personally, I've always loved super-heroic females. When I was growing up I used to love Charlies' Angels, the Bionic Woman and Wonder Woman. Much more appealing, to me, than the male-led shows. Later it was Xena, Buffy, Dark Angel...

I used to love Romana as a companion because she was the equal of the Doctor and Clara's one of my favourite companions precisely because she's so capable.

Never been a problem for me :)

To address some of your other points:

If he could have saved Adric without violating the laws of time I'm sure he would have but, in any case, Clara is particularly special. Splinters of her have been watching over him throughout the entirety of his existence. She saved him from his depression in the Snow men, getting him to engage in the world again. She saved his life (and the Universe) by risking her own, throwing herself into his timeline. She saved him from making the biggest mistake in his life when she urged him to find another way besides destroying Gallifrey. Like it or not, she is the single most important companion he has ever had so, of course, he's going to make every effort to save her.

But he didn't save her by submitting to billions of years of torment. As far as any individual instance of the Doctor is concerned, it's just a few weeks of boredom and a short period of pain. He doesn't have a continuous memory of those billions of years. Besides, he didn't do all that to save Clara, he did it to escape the prison the Time Lords put him in. He'd have done that, Clara or not!

As far as the memory device is concerned, Clara has had multiple lifetimes, including at least one on Gallifrey, to learn how to manipulate Gallifreyan tech as well as being uploaded with advanced hacking skills by the Great Intelligence. I don't have a problem believing she could do that.

The Doctor let her take his memory because he realized she was right. He had no right to take away her memories so if the solution was to give up his own then, so be it.

With respect to Me still remembering stuff after billions of years I was not happy with the idea that she'd lived billions of years. I find the whole idea pretty preposterous, particularly for her to be seemingly unchanged in character or temperament. Captain Jack became a big disembodied face in less than that time!

The memory thing is not such a big deal. Apart from the fact that she always used to write important stuff down so that she would remember, they could easily have come up with technology to enhance brain/memory capacity during the intervening time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched invasion of the dinosaurs dvd for a while. The black and white version is the default version as the colour version while not bad is not of broadcast standard. There is a colour version on the dvd but its tucked away as an exrra so it will be there somewhere.
    Forum Member
    Most of the re-colourized episodes took advantage of a trick in which the colour information had been recorded as specially coded dots on the surviving black and white film. This enabled the restoration team to automatically use that information to recreate the colour.

That information was only partially available on episode 1 of Invasion (they had the Red and Green but not the Blue info) so they chose to use Black and White as the default for episode 1 and had an approximated colourized version as a DVD extra where the blue value was guessed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    To be fair, with the exception of Adric, your examples were not related to Companions. Companions rarely die whether they are male or female. When it's non-companions they are all fair game, male or not! Plenty of females have died last season that weren't companions..

In Series 9? Name me three. Three women with speaking lines who died in Series 9. There were many, many more male deaths.

Trust me, I hate and loathe the "Impossible Girl", the "Only Mystery Worth Solving", the one who points him to the correct Tardis, the girl who saves The Doctor throughout each and every single one of his adventures so that it was she and not he all along, sigh.

However, he still spends 4.5 Billion years trying to save her. Just for a chance to save her. When he could have just given the Time Lords the information that they wanted so that he could have been released from the prison. So, not once in 4.5 Billion years, maybe 20-30 Billion times, did he ever fail to make it up to the top of the tower, did he ever slip, fall unconscious or otherwise fail to make it to the reset button. Yeah, right. The law of probability calls B.S..

She was willing to kill herself and The Doctor by throwing every Tardis key into the lava out of spite. Some companion.

And The Doctor, in the very next episode after he does these insane things to save Clara, basically says to his wife, River Song, "Tough titty, I can't save you, our time is limited", despite the fact that he spent 4.5 Billion years dying over and over again just for a chance to save a companion. I am sorry, but No.

Moffat's obsession with Clara is insane. The show really and truly has become Clara Who with The Doctor being a pathetic sidekick. Goodbye Moffat and good riddance.
    Forum Member
    In Series 9? Name me three. Three women with speaking lines who died in Series 9. There were many, many more male deaths.

I'm too lazy to go look for stuff like that but why does it matter if they have lines or not?

I don't for one minute think that the writers were given any stipulation to kill the men and save the women. That's just silly.

Trust me, I hate and loathe the "Impossible Girl", the "Only Mystery Worth Solving", the one who points him to the correct Tardis, the girl who saves The Doctor throughout each and every single one of his adventures so that it was she and not he all along, sigh.

Each to their own. I loved Clara for exactly those things :)
    However, he still spends 4.5 Billion years trying to save her. Just for a chance to save her. When he could have just given the Time Lords the information that they wanted so that he could have been released from the prison. So, not once in 4.5 Billion years, maybe 20-30 Billion times, did he ever fail to make it up to the top of the tower, did he ever slip, fall unconscious or otherwise fail to make it to the reset button. Yeah, right. The law of probability calls B.S..

Probability only comes into it when results are random. The point of the reset is that nothing significant changes and if the same thing happens in the same way under the same circumstances then the results will always be the same.

Plus, he doesn't spend billions of years doing anything. Any one instance of the doctor spends a few weeks at most. The billions of years part is not relevant to him as he does not experience it.
    She was willing to kill herself and The Doctor by throwing every Tardis key into the lava out of spite. Some companion.

That was probably the one point where she did something wrong. I thought you were upset that she was always being portrayed as infallible?
    And The Doctor, in the very next episode after he does these insane things to save Clara, basically says to his wife, River Song, "Tough titty, I can't save you, our time is limited", despite the fact that he spent 4.5 Billion years dying over and over again just for a chance to save a companion. I am sorry, but No.

I reiterate, to him it was just a few weeks and 1 death!

I don't see that the situation with River Song is comparable. That was the predestination of a fixed event. We know he can't change those. Clara's fate he had some control over.