Mostly Adverts On Channel 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
Forum Member
Is it me or is any one else getting sick of all the adverts on channel 4. I recorded 'Lost' last week to see how much original programming there really was. What I found was really shocking! In the first segment of the programme there was only 2 mins of programme before the first advert break of five mins. The open credits weren't over until 15 minutes into the programme. In all I reckon there was only 35 mins of original programming in the 60 minute slot, if you include all the credits it was nearer 30 mins. :cry:

Comments

• dvboydvboy Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's American drama for you.
  • CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it me or is any one else getting sick of all the adverts on channel 4. I recorded 'Lost' last week to see how much original programming there really was. What I found was really shocking! In the first segment of the programme there was only 2 mins of programme before the first advert break of five mins. The open credits weren't over until 15 minutes into the programme. In all I reckon there was only 35 mins of original programming in the 60 minute slot, if you include all the credits it was nearer 30 mins. :cry:
    Ofcom made a big fuss when they moved the adverts further into the show, so they have to keep them at the start now.
  • Carl TCarl T Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I would report this to ofcom if i was you. Channel 4 have been done for it before, breaking ofcom rules and putting in way too many adverts.

We all need to complain else they'll keep doing it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing C4 do differently from say, Sky One, with a US show is have no ads between shows.

It's still a 41 minute show in a 60 minute slot.

What do people want C4 to do? Chop the day into 27/54 minute slots :confused:

It is not like they take a 40 minute show, remove 10 mins of it and have 30 minutes of ads in a 60 minute slot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the figure of 30 minutes accurate? That's disgusting if it's true.

Oh well, good thing I've never set eyes on Lost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with jfman....You cant please some people.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jfman wrote:
    The only thing C4 do differently from say, Sky One, with a US show is have no ads between shows.

It is not like they take a 40 minute show, remove 10 mins of it and have 30 minutes of ads in a 60 minute slot.

I agree - I've no probllem with 1hr US shows fitting in 1hr UK slots, however C4 have been known to put them in 65min slots.
  • MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree - I've no probllem with 1hr US shows fitting in 1hr UK slots, however C4 have been known to put them in 65min slots.

Well some US channels like HBO don't show adverts, so their "1 hour" shows are about 55 minutes long.
  • technoguytechnoguy Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its about time Channel 4 were fined for this constant abuse of the rules. Seems like ch4 know ofcom are a soft touch and so they carry on regardless. :mad:

Channel 4 suck so bad. :(
  • TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least with Sky they wait until the opening credits are over.
  • SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Im getting really annoyed with channel 4's use of ads during Lost and Desperate Housewives. During the latest episode of D.H last wednesday, they showed the recap and a new extra scene before going to a break, after about 2 minutes of the show starting! Absolutely ridiculous!
  • <Finch><Finch> Posts: 3,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are using the American Style are they not?

They need to fill 19 minutes of advertising with the current US runtimes - they are not showing more ads than any other broadcaster would, they just put them where they would in the US - thats actually better for you, you don't get breaks where they are not supposed to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have Channel 4 use the natural breaks in programmes and films, even if it meant more ads, before I'd have them use the ITV method.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,620
    Forum Member
    Safra wrote:
    Im getting really annoyed with channel 4's use of ads during Lost and Desperate Housewives. During the latest episode of D.H last wednesday, they showed the recap and a new extra scene before going to a break, after about 2 minutes of the show starting! Absolutely ridiculous!

Can someone explain why it's worse to interrupt the credits with a break than to interrupt the programme later on?

Personally I like it- it gets some of the commercials out of the way. It's also how the programme was made to be shown - the producers expected an ad break to be there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel four also have a nice cunning trick of running their schedule a few minutes late so every time you tune in hoping to catch the beggining of a program you land up having to sit through the ads first and then when your program finally starts, like you said, it goes into yet more ads after a short few minutes.

By quarter past you have only seen about 5 minutes of your program and 10 of adverts.

For this reason I rarely watch channel 4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is how it was intended to be seen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Most tend to be 60 mins. The problems start where they have the C4/E4 overlap of 5 mins, that doesn't actually take place in reality.

Why not buy a freeview pvr, they are dirt cheap and you'll never have to watch ads again?
  • exploexplo Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely watch anything live, for two reasons. First the time of airing doesn't usually suit me, and secondly I HATE adverts. So most things are recorded and watched later with much use of the fast forward button. I suggest others do the same.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They received an OFCOM censure for that during the last series of Lost. It doesn't seem to have discouraged them!
  • DemonLemonDemonLemon Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jfman wrote:

But it's only US imports that have only 40 minutes of programming for a 60 minutes slot. Surely Channel 4 don't have 24 hour US content.

But people are voting with their feet. I know many people who do not watch Channel 4 or ITV to any great extent, because of the recent overbearing advertising. As someone said above, use a PVR, and if we all did that, maybe the companies would review their advertising policies. When I'm watching television, I don't want it to be seen as an opportunity to try to sell me something. It's MY relaxing time, so I don't want them badgering me while I'm watching something.
  • Barry.WilliamsBarry.Williams Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DemonLemon wrote:
    But it's only US imports that have only 40 minutes of programming for a 60 minutes slot. Surely Channel 4 don't have 24 hour US content.

But people are voting with their feet. I know many people who do not watch Channel 4 or ITV to any great extent, because of the recent overbearing advertising. As someone said above, use a PVR, and if we all did that, maybe the companies would review their advertising policies. When I'm watching television, I don't want it to be seen as an opportunity to try to sell me something. It's MY relaxing time, so I don't want them badgering me while I'm watching something.

In the end C4 needs to make a profit. Like it or not adds are how C4 makes its money.

You pays yor money and makes your choice. Either Free Programs and add or you pay by Subscription for TV or in the case of Sky you pay by subscription and still get adds
    I think Sky viewers have more to complain about then C4 viewers
  • Radio InformerRadio Informer Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why start a programme without the start music /credit like on friends for a minute or two then start the credit's.
  • fugi1967fugi1967 Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    They could always put it into a 50 minute slot & do as Sky do with The Simpsons take an ad break out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And why start a programme without the start music /credit like on friends for a minute or two then start the credit's.
    Because thats how it was intended to be seen.

The US do it differentley and it makes a lot more sense.

Teaser + Credits | Ad Break | Main Program | Ad Break | Tag + Credits | Next Programme...

Obviously drama's are a bit different than the sitcom model above.
  • speculatorspeculator Posts: 2,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Desperate Housewives

Wednesday 10 May
    10:00pm - 11:05pm
    Channel 4

Tuesday 09 May
    12:05am - 1:05am
    Channel 4
    I can understand why viewers are getting annoyed with Channel 4. Under Ofcom rules programmes between 45-59 minutes, 2 breaks are permitted whilst programmes between 60-89 minutes, 3 breaks are permitted. The same episode is 5 minutes longer in primetime so C4 can conveniently add an additional commercial break.