Daphne Du Maurier - can you recommend?

missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
Forum Member
I have read a couple of Daphne Du Maurier's books (Jamaica Inn and Rebecca), and much enjoyed them. Over the weekend I managed to pick up a lovely hardback set of 12 for only ten quid :)

I am not familiar with most of them though, and wondered if anyone can recommend a title from my list to kick off with ...

Mary Anne
The King's General
The House on the Strand
The Glass-Blowers
My Cousin Rachel
The Parasites
Hungry Hill
The Flight of the Falcon
Frenchman's Creek
The Scapegoat

Cheers

Comments

• ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    My Cousin Rachel is absolutely fabulous. It's easily on my list of favourite books. I also really love Frenchman's Creek, but it's rather romantic, so if romance isn't your cup of tea you might want to give this a miss!
  • missmaisiemissmaisie Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Thanks Ravensborough, I will start with My Cousin Rachel - and thanks for the warning about Frenchman's Creek, romance is not my cup of tea :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only ones of those I've read are Flight of the Falcon and The Glass Blowers. I loved both, but they're very different.

Flight of the Falcon is EXCELLENT - very tense and exciting (I thought) and keeps you page turning to find out what the hell is going on and how on EARTH it could end. I could not put it down.

The Glass Blowers is more of a family saga during the French Revolution. I found it really interesting, but I do already know a little bit about the French Revolution. There were quite a lot of characters to get to know, but once you've got your head round those, I found it really enjoyable.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The House On The Strand excited me with the time travel.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    The birds ;)
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone!
    Looks like I have got myself a real little treasure chest
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    Definitely The House on The Strand, I've read it 3 times now and I'm still not bored with it.

The only thing I was annoyed with was the copy I read second time round (Virago edition) had an intro explaining all the undercurrents and background of the story - this was the attitude of teachers at school who told you what to think before you read something.

She's done at least one book of short stories, all brilliant.
    If you like them, try and find Somerset Maugham's books of short stories - he's out of fashion at the moment, and they are possibly a bit dated, but a damn good read.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved The Scapegoat. I read it in one night whilst at work. An absolutely fantastic story that has spawned many copycats.
    Forum Member
    I am so excited about these books and thank all those who have made comments - I don't know about anyone else but book wise I am light and shade, light and shade, currently reading some fluff before embarking on this literature.
  • evenangelsevenangels Posts: 1,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Loving Spirit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite isn't on your list! Rule Britania, it's a bit early 70s, but darkly funny in places.
    Forum Member
    There are a couple of titles that have come up that are not on my list - have to keep my eyes open for another set!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Parasites is very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I bought and read Rebecca last week because of this thread - it was amazing! I can't wait to read more of her books now, think I'll go for My Cousin Rachel next...
  • mirandashellmirandashell Posts: 2,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Cousin Rachel is superb! Very spooky book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    House on the Strand is a great book, also enjoyed My Cousin Rachel, Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek.

I've got a collection of short stories by Du Maurier which are excellent. They include The Birds and Don't Look Now which were both made into films but are both just short stories. All the stories in the collection are absolute gems. Its called 'Classics of the Macabre' and is well named.

Good writer.
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    House on the Strand is a great book, also enjoyed My Cousin Rachel, Rebecca and Frenchman's Creek.

I've got a collection of short stories by Du Maurier which are excellent. They include The Birds and Don't Look Now which were both made into films but are both just short stories. All the stories in the collection are absolute gems. Its called 'Classics of the Macabre' and is well named.

Good writer.

I had a book with Don't Look Now in it, but not The Birds, so must have been a different collection :(

Don't Look Now scared me a bit though, I wouldn't read it at night if you're a scaredy cat like me :eek::o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    possibley the most under-rated author ever
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperSpurs wrote: »
    I had a book with Don't Look Now in it, but not The Birds, so must have been a different collection :(

Don't Look Now scared me a bit though, I wouldn't read it at night if you're a scaredy cat like me :eek::o

Yes, I agree, Don't Look Now is very atmospheric and a bit spooky.

Did your collection have the story in about the woman who gets her eyes operated on and then starts seeing everyone with animal's heads? Its called Blue Lenses, great story, very clever and imaginative.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all im new to Daphne. I read The Scapegoat which was fascinating and then went onto Rebecca which I loved. Started Jamaica Inn but never really got into it so I also was looking for the next one to get me back hooked think i might try the Cousin Rachel one. I have Frenchmen's Creek but if its romantic dont think I will bother.