Options

Pregnancy test result

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
Forum Member
✭✭
Just a quick question if some of you could help please? I've got a friend who's done 4 pregnancy tests today. 2 of them were positive and 2 were negative. She's very confused now, obviously!

Has anyone on here done a test which has been negative and then actually been pregnant? I'm infertile, so am not the best person for her to be asking, as I don't get positive results! (She doesn't know this, hence her asking me about this.) Is it possible to get a false positive? She's recently broken up with her boyfriend, so I'm wondering if it's possible for her to be stressed, which would account for her missed period. (she's about 6 weeks late.)

I'm guessing she is pregnant, and has had false negatives, rather than false positives. (I can go 6 months with no period, so 6 weeks is nothing to me!) I'm so worried about her. She's gonna go to the doctor, but I would like to try and reassure her if possible. I have a horrible feeling though, that she is pregnant.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work at an advice and information service for young people, this included doing pregnancy tests etc.

You can not get a false positive test as there are hormones present in your urine that can only be there when pregnant.

She should go see some one at a family planning clinic to discuss it further. If you need any other advice you can pm me if you want.:)
  • Options
    quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    False positives are very rare and generally mean the test is malfunctioning.
    http://www.peeonastick.com/ for information on home pregnancy testing
    http://www.vaginapagina.com/ is an excellent source on all aspects of femal reproductive health.
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If four done in one day, only one would have been with first urine of the day which would have the strongest concentrate, that is likely to be the correct one and would guess positive.

Later in the day the tests can look negative as very feint.
  • Options
    mistrimistri Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different brands will mark a positive on different days, so will different concentrations of urine. As others have said, false positives are rare (and are often people reading the test too late or a faulty test) whereas false negatives are common due to the differences in tests - especially if she's only just due her period. Once she's late, more tests should start to show positive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. I am guessing that your friend did two tests first thing and they both came up positive, so she got two more tests and they came up negative?

As other posters have said the urine passed first thing in the morning has the highest concentration of pregnancy hormones because it has been stored in the bladder overnight, which is why a lot of test recommend early morning tests.

Urine passed later in the day is less concentrated because people have been drinking fluids.

So a test at 8am and 8pm on the same day could show different results early on in a pregnancy.
  • Options
    CabbagesAhoy!CabbagesAhoy! Posts: 1,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did 4 pregnancy tests in a day once. 2 were positive and, after drinking some water, 2 were negative.

However I was certainly pregnant - false positives, as someone else has said here, are incredibly rare and indicate a faulty test.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I think she's pregant. False negatives are quite common, false positives are extremely rare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon she will be pregnant. A pregnancy test is basically looking for HCG levels in your urine. These are normally only present in pregnant ladies, so if it shows up positive it means the levels are rising, as they do in pregnancy.

If your friend took alot to drink to make herself pee, then that can dilute the result.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As other people have said false positives are extremely rare. False negatives are more common and can be down to many factors - a dodgy test, a test that has a higher sensitivity to another and not oicking up the hormone, usuing urine that is too dilute, etc.

Just one other misconception that I would like to correct as well. Stress does not delay your period - it can delay ovulation which then obviously has a knock on effect to when your period is due - but you wil ALWAYS start your period within 14-16 days of ovulation. So the fact that she may be stressing out about her period isn't delaying it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also OP I assume she has reason to believe she may be pregnant? Has she had unprotected sex in the last month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. This forum has some lovely people on it who take time to reply. :)

I've spoken to her this morning, and she's done another one which was also positive. I guess there's no doubt now. She's so scared; she's only just turned 20. Her ex is being a moron, saying he won't be able to cope with seeing her pregnant but will give her money. (Like that is enough; he made the baby too..) So I and her friends will support her.

Thank you again; I really do appreciate it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Just one other misconception that I would like to correct as well. Stress does not delay your period - it can delay ovulation which then obviously has a knock on effect to when your period is due - but you wil ALWAYS start your period within 14-16 days of ovulation. So the fact that she may be stressing out about her period isn't delaying it :)

Thanks for that too; I hadn't realised that. I always thought it was your period which was delayed. But this explanation does make sense when you think about it. I really should know more about this than I clearly do. :confused:
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that too; I hadn't realised that. I always thought it was your period which was delayed. But this explanation does make sense when you think about it. I really should know more about this than I clearly do. :confused:

I have to admit that I only found this out myself recently but as you say it does make sense when you consider the mechanics behind it :)
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Hi, thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. This forum has some lovely people on it who take time to reply. :)

I've spoken to her this morning, and she's done another one which was also positive. I guess there's no doubt now. She's so scared; she's only just turned 20. Her ex is being a moron, saying he won't be able to cope with seeing her pregnant but will give her money. (Like that is enough; he made the baby too..) So I and her friends will support her.

Thank you again; I really do appreciate it. :)

You sound like a lovely supporting friend who will give her a lot of support :) I had a negative pregancy test result 14 years ago. My 13 year old son is in the living room on the laptop at the moment.... so yes I think you are right and she is pregnant.