Options

The New Normal [US Pace]

LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This show looks good..... alot has been said about it, mostly been controversial

"The New Normal" is an upcoming NBC Comedy created by Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler.
The show tells the story of a blended family which includes a gay couple, Bryan (Andrew Rannells) and David (Justin Bartha), and a woman, cash-strapped waitress and mother of one, Goldie (Georgia King), who becomes a surrogate to assist them in having a child.
The show also features Ellen Barkin, Bebe Wood and Nene Leakes.

"The New Normal" will premiere Tuesday September 11th at 9:30 on NBC.

The New Normal Trailer (NBC Series) - YouTube

https://www.facebook.com/NBCTheNewNormal
The New Normal - Official NBC Site
The New Normal TV

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Those you with a US IP address can watch the Pilot on NBC.com and Hulu, I liked it...
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to give this a go. It is controversial in the States but over here no-one will bat an eyelid.
    It looks good and has Nene from The Real Housewives Of Atlanta in it, so I will watch just for her. Hopefully it will do well. It has a lot going for it, mostly because it's a Ryan Murphy show. I think it will at least get a full season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jessica Lu from Awkward is in it, so i'm gonna give it a go :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the pilot online.

Nothing particularly spoilerish but tagging just in case, as it hasn't aired yet:
    I thought it was cute and quite funny. The characters are a bit on the stereotypical side but I imagine there will be some development there as the season progresses.
    I think I'm going to continue watching.
  • Options
    bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    Made me laugh out loud a few times. "These Salami smokers" pmsl.
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it last night. Thought it was really good. Some of the dialogue was hilarious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made me laugh out loud a few times. "These Salami smokers" pmsl.

:D Amen to that! For a bigot-kinda-character, she is actually very likeable and very funny! Not sure if the second episode has aired, but the pilot was very good and had plenty of chuckles watching, looking forward to having something new to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched the pilot.. loved it!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 episode were aired yesterday - the pilot and the 2nd episode
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the first two episodes and actually really enjoyed it! It's not always laugh-out-loud funny, but it's got a warm feeling to it. Will definitely be watching the rest of the series! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    I really like it so far. The bigot mother is hilarious. I actually had to catch my breath from laughing so hard at her lines about Los Angeles being an used condom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how their is these kinda of messages in the show, in the dialogues

I really liked 'how can we protect our child from hate'

Lol at Shania and that boy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    lol this is my new fav tv show at the min!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not bad. I'm especially pleased at one future cast member in particular.
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure this might turn out to be my favourite show ever.
  • Options
    Joel BonnerJoel Bonner Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I got a few laughs out of it and the lead characters are likable. It's not too bad at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it. The characters are all really likeable and it's got it's touching moments and it's funny moments. Hope it doesn't get cancelled. Normally don't start watching US shows until I know they have at least a couple of seasons in them, but failed with New Girl and Once Upon a Time last year and looks like I'll be failing with The New Normal this year!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, the latest episode was just weird and possibly too liberal even for me. The message: If you support Obama but don't have any black friends you're a racist and a hypocrit. If you have too many white friends you should purposefully seek out to have more black friends, not based on their personality, but just so they can make you appear less racist in front of other people. wtf?:confused: Kinda goes against the idea that race shouldn't matter.
    I understand it's a comedy so things shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's obviously caused some controversy already and this sort of thing just gives more ammo to right-wing nutjobs who are campaigning to get the show off the air.

On a side note, Shania is quite funny. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dishpop wrote: »
    I have to admit, the latest episode was just weird and possibly too liberal even for me. The message: If you support Obama but don't have any black friends you're a racist and a hypocrit. If you have too many white friends you should purposefully seek out to have more black friends, not based on their personality, but just so they can make you appear less racist in front of other people. wtf?:confused: Kinda goes against the idea that race shouldn't matter.
    I understand it's a comedy so things shouldn't be taken too seriously, but it's obviously caused some controversy already and this sort of thing just gives more ammo to right-wing nutjobs who are campaigning to get the show off the air.

On a side note, Shania is quite funny. :D

It's Ryan Murphy, his track record is good. I don't think NBC is going to take this off the air just because it's liberal, because they want Murphy back in future. Not to mention MSNBC is one of the most liberal news networks in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Ryan Murphy, his track record is good. I don't think NBC is going to take this off the air just because it's liberal, because they want Murphy back in future. Not to mention MSNBC is one of the most liberal news networks in the US.

I wasn't saying it should be taken off for being too liberal... far from it. I was just saying this week with the "We need to find black friends or else we'll be seen as racist" storyline was lame and contrived and IMO gave out the wrong message. Last week with the homophobic man confronting them at the clothes store was much more realistic and heartfelt, I hope the show continues with issues like this to open viewers' hearts and minds on same-sex parenting, without alienating viewers who might be on the fence on the issue. Just wasn't a fan of this week's ep that's all, but will continue watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dishpop wrote: »
    I wasn't saying it should be taken off for being too liberal... far from it. I was just saying this week with the "We need to find black friends or else we'll be seen as racist" storyline was lame and contrived and IMO gave out the wrong message. Last week with the homophobic man confronting them at the clothes store was much more realistic and heartfelt, I hope the show continues with issues like this to open viewers' hearts and minds on same-sex parenting, without alienating viewers who might be on the fence on the issue. Just wasn't a fan of this week's ep that's all, but will continue watching.

I know you were referring to overly-conservative people. I think they're trying to point out how stupid people on both sides are, hence the "we need black friends" story, I think it's taking the piss, rather than seriously saying that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    picked up for a full season!! woooohoooo :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really loving this show. Didn't expect much from it...but it's clearly turning out to be one of my favourite tv shows...20 minutes is not long enough per episode :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene in this week's episode where Jane went to the doctor after having an orgasm was unambiguously and rather overtly copied, almost word for word, from this scene in Desperate Housewives, where Bree, a sexually-repressed traditional Republican character, had EXACTLY the same encounter a few seasons ago - she went to the doctor after having an orgasm after having sex with someone (having only had a really dull husband before) and assumes it is a minor stroke, tries to explain the tingly feeling but didn't immediately want to tell the doctor what she was doing at the time. Sound familiar? :mad:

It might not have been intentional thieving, but it was so direct a copy it's impossible to try and rationalise it as anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The scene in this week's episode where Jane went to the doctor after having an orgasm was unambiguously and rather overtly copied, almost word for word, from this scene in Desperate Housewives, where Bree, a sexually-repressed traditional Republican character, had EXACTLY the same encounter a few seasons ago - she went to the doctor after having an orgasm after having sex with someone (having only had a really dull husband before) and assumes it is a minor stroke, tries to explain the tingly feeling but didn't immediately want to tell the doctor what she was doing at the time. Sound familiar? :mad:

It might not have been intentional thieving, but it was so direct a copy it's impossible to try and rationalise it as anything else.

I noticed that too - the second that scene started I just knew it was going to be similar to that in Desperate Housewives.

I didn't find it funny as it was something I'd seen before.