Friends Gripes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g4jc wrote: »
    Anyone remember 'Mad About You' about a couple in New York?

There were a few crossovers between Friends, Seinfeld and Mad About You.

The husband (Paul Reiser) was Seinfeld's friend/neighbour and leased his "bachelor pad" to Kramer.

The wife (Helen Hunt) from this series appeared in an episode (of Friends) at Central Perk with a friend and tried to order drinks from Pheobe, mistaking her for Ursula, Pheobe's 'evil' twin, the nutty waitress in the couple's local bar/restaurant.

In TOW the Blackout (Friends) the blackout was caused by the wife in Mad about You.

I didn't know this! Great reply. Thanks.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Anyone think Rachel and Phoebe are really bitchy & unlikeable some of the time? I have noticed it more on rewatching the complete series on DVD.

Phoebe makes some cruel jibes towards Chandler and Rachel is just such a selfish jealous person at times.

Phoebe and Rachel both say some pretty nasty things about Chandler. If two of my best friends started dating, I can't imagine telling one of them that they could do better, which both Phoebe and Rachel say to Monica.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them are very likeable really:
    Rachel - starts out as spoiled princess, she matures a bit and generally becomes a better person but she is still very selfish and self-absorbed.
    Phoebe - selfish, deluded and quite bitchy. Goes from being 'arty hippy' type to complete bitch.
    Monica - neurotic and fussy but in retrospect generally nicer than the other 2 women.
    Chandler - amusing with his cynical quips but rather inadequate really. Little development there apart from the final pairing with Monica.
    Joey - starts off as a good looking fun guy, not too bright, ends up a complete idiot.
    Ross - the nerdy boy stayed more or less the same during the course of the series. Generally irritating in a Wood Allen type way.

They were all very self-centred and unaware. Life really did revolve around their little piece of NY. Phoebe occasionally attempted to play 'love the planet' but it was always more about how she appeared than real concern for anyone or anything outside of the immediate circle.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    None of them are very likeable really:
    Rachel - starts out as spoiled princess, she matures a bit and generally becomes a better person but she is still very selfish and self-absorbed.
    Phoebe - selfish, deluded and quite bitchy. Goes from being 'arty hippy' type to complete bitch.
    Monica - neurotic and fussy but in retrospect generally nicer than the other 2 women.
    Chandler - amusing with his cynical quips but rather inadequate really. Little development there apart from the final pairing with Monica.
    Joey - starts off as a good looking fun guy, not too bright, ends up a complete idiot.
    Ross - the nerdy boy stayed more or less the same during the course of the series. Generally irritating in a Wood Allen type way.

They were all very self-centred and unaware. Life really did revolve around their little piece of NY. Phoebe occasionally attempted to play 'love the planet' but it was always more about how she appeared than real concern for anyone or anything outside of the immediate circle.

Actually you make a good point and on reflection this is my main Friends gripe. They are young people living in one of the most exciting cities in the world but spend the majority of their time either in the same coffee house (go to a bar once in a while!) or holed up in Monica's apartment. As a result we, the viewer, were treated to hardly any scenes of New York, like in say Sex and the City which really showed off the Big Apple. They might as well have set it in some one shop town somewhere. 6 young, sexy, single people would not stay in one place so much!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Actually you make a good point and on reflection this is my main Friends gripe. They are young people living in one of the most exciting cities in the world but spend the majority of their time either in the same coffee house (go to a bar once in a while!) or holed up in Monica's apartment. As a result we, the viewer, were treated to hardly any scenes of New York, like in say Sex and the City which really showed off the Big Apple. They might as well have set it in some one shop town somewhere. 6 young, sexy, single people would not stay in one place so much!

Sounds more like your dream of living in New York, the reality is (although they had a ridiculously lavish apartment) they are just like everyone else, working, living in one area and trying to get through life. Get married, have kids etc. Wouldn't be able to afford painting the town red all the time.

You expect people to be living it up but it's really just home to them.

Although it reminds me of the episode where they take their surrogate sight-seeing and Chandler acts like he's never seen all the landmarks in New York. :D

And I've been to NY, it's not as... "glamorous" as it looks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Sounds more like your dream of living in New York, the reality is (although they had a ridiculously lavish apartment) they are just like everyone else, working, living in one area and trying to get through life. Get married, have kids etc. Wouldn't be able to afford painting the town red all the time.

You expect people to be living it up but it's really just home to them.

Although it reminds me of the episode where they take their surrogate sight-seeing and Chandler acts like he's never seen all the landmarks in New York. :D

And I've been to NY, it's not as... "glamorous" as it looks.

I've been too, and I thought it was fantastic! We crammed as much as we could into 5 days. I take your point about it being home to them, but I always wished they'd got out and about a bit more
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the whole point of it was they were supposed to be normal people with normal lives. Most of us spend our days doing exactly the same thing we did the day before. If you live in London how many times do you go to see Big Ben or take a trip on the London Eye? Hardly ever. You go to the same restaurants, the same bar, the same friends' houses. I liked that about Friends.

The inconsistencies I don't like with TV programmes are where they bring something in for one episode to make a cheap gag and then ignore it for the rest of the run. Some of them have been mentioned like Chandler's sudden hatred of dogs and Monica's allergy to cats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been too, and I thought it was fantastic! We crammed as much as we could into 5 days. I take your point about it being home to them, but I always wished they'd got out and about a bit more

:D Yep, that's what I meant. To a tourist it's a new environment to explore and take in. To someone who lives there it's probably boring. In everyday life you stick to your comforts and usual haunts.

Like someone living in London who doesn't get excited at the sight of Big Ben. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lot of phoebe hate on here which is surprising. She gave me one of my favourite memories of friends. When Ross learns the bagpipes to play at Monica and Chandlers wedding as Chandler is part scottish and he tells them to join in. Phoebe " heeee heeeeeiiiiieeeee" Rofl. Even jennifer Aniston couldn't stay in character and keep her laugh in you she her on the couch next to her trying to keep a straight face
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Yep, that's what I meant. To a tourist it's a new environment to explore and take in. To someone who lives there it's probably boring. In everyday life you stick to your comforts and usual haunts.

Like someone living in London who doesn't get excited at the sight of Big Ben. :p

You might occasionally try a new coffee shop though! Or a club, or a bar, they never went anywhere! Just seemed a bit unnecessary to set it in NY, I always thought that. Of course people,that live in cities don't do tourist stuff, but they do make the most of the facilities otherwise what would be then point of living there?
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Ross learns the bagpipes to play at Monica and Chandlers wedding as Chandler is part scottish and he tells them to join in. Phoebe " heeee heeeeeiiiiieeeee" Rofl. Even jennifer Aniston couldn't stay in character and keep her laugh in you she her on the couch next to her trying to keep a straight face

Love that scene, seeing Jennifer Aniston desperately trying not to laugh always makes me laugh even harder. :D Here it is, along with an out-take of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQicfUjVVqU

I don't think I really have any Friends gripes, I loved all the characters and all the episodes!
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is another continuity gripe.

I'm sure early in the series Ross claims he studied Paleontology as a bit of a joke. Later it is implied he had always been interested in dinosaurs from a young age, in particular I recall a scene in the episode where Freddie Prinze Jr plays a male nanny, where Ross is telling a childhood story about how his Dad got on his back for playing with dinosaurs in his room rather than playing outside like a real boy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might occasionally try a new coffee shop though! Or a club, or a bar, they never went anywhere! Just seemed a bit unnecessary to set it in NY, I always thought that. Of course people,that live in cities don't do tourist stuff, but they do make the most of the facilities otherwise what would be then point of living there?

Well they did go to plenty other places at times and spoke of things they'd done but as for what we actually see it's a few regular sets. Makes it cheaper to make. :D
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love that scene, seeing Jennifer Aniston desperately trying not to laugh always makes me laugh even harder. :D Here it is, along with an out-take of it.

I don't think I really have any Friends gripes, I loved all the characters and all the episodes!

I have never noticed that before. :D

Even Lisa Kudrow is trying not to laugh at about 1:07 onwards. :D

Edit: I loved all the Friends characters but Phoebe was my favourite by quite a distance, she had the best lines and her delivery was fantastic and I liked that she was a bit of a bitch.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    I was watching the episode with Danny DeVito the other day, and concentrating on the background instead of the foreground action, and it makes the whole scene seem very weird. There's a bunch of other guests, none of whom we've ever seen before, who are just sitting around chatting while this bizarre scene with an aging, crying, short, bald stripper plays out in the same room as them. None of them seem to be interested in what's going on, nobody else in the room tries to intervene.

Generally in Friends, there are scenes when one of the two main apartments hosts a party, and a bunch of people turn up that we've never seen before. There is at least one episode where Chandler tries to chat up a woman in his own apartment and she just walks away. Who does that? When you're a guest in someone's home?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching the episode with Danny DeVito the other day, and concentrating on the background instead of the foreground action, and it makes the whole scene seem very weird. There's a bunch of other guests, none of whom we've ever seen before, who are just sitting around chatting while this bizarre scene with an aging, crying, short, bald stripper plays out in the same room as them. None of them seem to be interested in what's going on, nobody else in the room tries to intervene.

Generally in Friends, there are scenes when one of the two main apartments hosts a party, and a bunch of people turn up that we've never seen before. There is at least one episode where Chandler tries to chat up a woman in his own apartment and she just walks away. Who does that? When you're a guest in someone's home?

Lol, the party scenes always make me laugh, like you say, a bunch of random strangers that none of the Friends interact with, they just talk with each other as though the guests aren't there. In Season 1 Phoebe is really excited that 'Betty' came to her party. Poor old Betty was never mentioned again...:D
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Forgot how funny that clip is :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol, the party scenes always make me laugh, like you say, a bunch of random strangers that none of the Friends interact with, they just talk with each other as though the guests aren't there. In Season 1 Phoebe is really excited that 'Betty' came to her party. Poor old Betty was never mentioned again...:D

:D I loved that line. "Betty!"

Also at Monica's party when she says something about a "bunch of people I don't even like" and then everybody comes out of hiding and Rachel goes "S...surprise Monica". :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D I loved that line. "Betty!"

Also at Monica's party when she says something about a "bunch of people I don't even like" and then everybody comes out of hiding and Rachel goes "S...surprise Monica". :D

The guests always look like Rabbits in headlights, you just know they're thinking 'I'm in Friends!!!'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Phoebe found her brother Frank did she ever mention Ursula? And also when her real mum was found was Ursula ever spoken about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of Pheobe's friends shave their head? In TOW The Candy Hearts she mentions her friend Abby who shaves her head, later in the beach house episodes she sets Ross up with Bonnie who shaves her head. Scriptwriter error or does she just know more than one who does that?
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    When Phoebe found her brother Frank did she ever mention Ursula? And also when her real mum was found was Ursula ever spoken about?

She went to see Ursula to tell her she found their birth mother and Ursula either already knew or pretended she knew already I couldn't really figure than scene out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She went to see Ursula to tell her she found their birth mother and Ursula either already knew or pretended she knew already I couldn't really figure than scene out

Cheers, couldn't remember.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

She knew, because she said 'the mom from the beach' or words to that effect when Pheobe told her their mum wasn't their birth mum.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Cheers, couldn't remember.

......No, its actually FRIENDS who hgas these gripes!! Cheers is another show!!!LOL

Apologies!!