Options

Panic buying bread and milk. Why?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    A couple of winters ago, when we had the really bad one, one of my neighbours bought ten loaves and ten cartons of milk. But the main roads all reopened two days later, and he didn't have room in his freezer for all that milk and bread so ended up giving us all in the close a loaf and carton of milk each, and throwing a couple of each out. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, a gritter truck passed through the village a couple of hours ago when I was headed to the shop, and right behind it was Kingsmill truck and a Nisa truck. By the time I got to the local shop they were unloading them and the shop was stocking up on bread and milk, no doubt ready for the panic buyers.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I think it's the "panic" bit that misleads people. Really it's just precautionary buying. Bread and milk typically goes fast in the average household so, if conditions are set to make going out to fetch more very undesirable, handy to have some extra there to spare the trouble. It's not that these items are especially amazing, they're just a standard factor of the typical family's diet.

(this has been your daily dose of obvious information, sponsored by zx50)

No no no, it's panic I tell you, and everyone other than me is an idiot for doing the things they do that I don't! :D
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It snowed really badly over night here and most people are off work and school etc today. I nipped to the shop down the road earlier to get a paper and there wasn't a single load of bread or bottle of milk left in the store, I asked the woman working there and she said that people had been in last night and had basically cleared the shelves and that due to the driving conditions they wouldn't be getting another delivary until further notice. I don't think I have ever seen this shop cleared of bread before.

Why do people do this? What is so wonderful about bread and milk that makes people buy every last loaf and pint when there is a crisis? :confused: I can only imagine the mentality of these people. Nuclear holocaust? Asteroid on course to smash into earth? Doesn't matter as long as we've got bread and milk:rolleyes::yawn:

Greed. Pure and simple.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've answered your own question haven't you. There is now no bread in the shop and none being delivered, so it seems what you prefer to label as panic buying was more like sensible foresight. Maybe you were just overly keen to get on your high horse?

Not sensible forthright, just pure greed and selfishness IMO.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I wanted to store long term food in an emergency it wouldn't be bread and Milk. It would be bottled water and tinned food (plus can opener)

I buy a 4 pint of milk once a week and never use it all by the end as a single person. As for bread I buy it like once in a full moon.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think that's probably what you want it to be so that you can feel justified in sneering at them. In reality, they foresaw a shortage and bought extra. No drama needed.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milk lasts way beyond its use by date. I can't understand the need to panic buy it.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If I wanted to store long term food in an emergency it wouldn't be bread and Milk. It would be bottled water and tinned food (plus can opener)

I buy a 4 pint of milk once a week and never use it all by the end as a single person. As for bread I buy it like once in a full moon.
    But it's not an emergency we're talking about, it's just convenience in times of terrible weather that make going out to get more a hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Milk lasts way beyond its use by date. I can't understand the need to panic buy it.

Because you'll run out and there'll be none delivered to the shops? The OP's predicament proves the so-called "panic" buyers right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member

I cant express how fundamentally stupid you come across calling people who buy things from a shop greedy and selfish.

Shops have things for sale, people go into them to purchase things that the shop has for sale that the person does not own but wishes to posses, they exchange money for the goods and they then own the items that are theirs to do with as they wish.

Do you want a limit on what or how many items people can be?
    "Sorry grandma, that vodka drinka has brought that law in so i could only buy 2 loaves and 4 pints in a day. Your going to have to go without food till the weather improves, hopefully your shivering from the cold will distract you from your hunger."

If I knew where you lived id go to every shop within 15 miles of your house, id buy all the bread and milk then stand outside your house the next time we have bad weather pouring pint after pint of milk over my genitals and crushing loafs slice by slice between my bum cheeks and staring into your windows while giving you the finger.
    Supermarket Nazi trying to tell people what they can and cant buy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are seriously arguing over bread and milk? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It snowed really badly over night here and most people are off work and school etc today. I nipped to the shop down the road earlier to get a paper and there wasn't a single load of bread or bottle of milk left in the store, I asked the woman working there and she said that people had been in last night and had basically cleared the shelves and that due to the driving conditions they wouldn't be getting another delivary until further notice. I don't think I have ever seen this shop cleared of bread before.

Why do people do this? What is so wonderful about bread and milk that makes people buy every last loaf and pint when there is a crisis? :confused: I can only imagine the mentality of these people. Nuclear holocaust? Asteroid on course to smash into earth? Doesn't matter as long as we've got bread and milk:rolleyes::yawn:

Are you sure they are panic buying? Maybe they just really like bread and milk.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stocked up on sanitary towels and tampons so that's me sorted just need to get something for the missus now.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plipplop wrote: »
    If I knew where you lived id go to every shop within 15 miles of your house, id buy all the bread and milk then stand outside your house the next time we have bad weather pouring pint after pint of milk over my genitals and crushing loafs slice by slice between my bum cheeks and staring into your windows while giving you the finger.

The imagery, my brain, nooooooo.
  • Options
    jamtamarajamtamara Posts: 2,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a good idea to buy tins of soup.

However, I have read through this whole thread and uness I have missed something no-one has pointed out that buying them "in case the power goes" and "warming on a cold day" from another poster endorsing the sentiment are both a contradiction of intent.
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe people panic buy so they don't have to cry about being bread and milk less on the internet.

Always someone puts a twist on whatever is said on DS :rolleyes:
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of people that complain about others panic buying are just miffed that their panic buying trip was unsuccessful because someone else got there first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stocked up on sanitary towels and tampons so that's me sorted just need to get something for the missus now.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try 2 keep my food cupboard stocked with the ingriedients to make bread for emergency, but I often do like to make my own anyway. I keep a tub of marvel milk powder in just incase as well, even though I am not keen on it. Also semi skinned milk you can freeze anyway.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oor fridge is shit we'd last about an hour if a zombie apocalypse hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I think I can live without bread or milk for a few days if it came to it. Its never going to go on for more than a few days. I think I'll live.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    The funny thing is these people don't even eat bread or drink milk.

I remember not so long ago people were buying butter and yoghurts at Tesco because they were getting it cheaper for some reason (I can't find the story right now). I wonder how many of them were buying them *simply* because it was cheaper.
    Yes. And you get idiots who ransack the supermarkets on Xmax Eve, forgetting that they are open again on Boxing Day.

That's for people who realise that, despite having enough food to feed the population of Exeter, they realised they don't have enough Brussels sprouts or parsnips. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    plipplop wrote: »

Are you sure you've really thought this through ? Pretty sure ice, snow , cold milk and nudity don't mix too well :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Are you sure you've really thought this through ? Pretty sure ice, snow , cold milk and nudity don't mix too well :D

They don't? Well that's my weekend plans ruined :cry: