Carla the Hypocrite and other continuity potholes

2»

Comments

• Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    3. Is anyone - ever - going to ring Tina's actual mother?

...that is the thing which riles me - where the heck has her Mother been?
    I wonder what the excuse will be as to why she wasn't at Tina's bedside?.......cant think of one myself.
  • Maria_J47Maria_J47 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Surely the biggest hypocrite in all of this is ROB sorry to shout but he has caused this whole sorry mess, it is his fault that Tina is dead, nobody elses and that Carla will/might lose her baby!!!!!!!
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxer1988 wrote: »
    No one is denying that Carla has cheated and betrayed people/friends in the past (it seems like some people forget that she has suffered/been punished too) but that does not excuse Peter and Tina's behaviour and it would be very strange if she didn't feel angry and hurt. And again, she doesn't just have Peter's betrayal to deal with. She's being wrongly accused of killing Tina and she's about to suffer a miscarriage.

No it doesn't excuse it but Carla knew what Peter was like, his history speaks for itself. it's how they started out she took on someone who had a lot of baggage and issues to start with, but she doesn't have a right to take it out on everyone else that is my stance anyway.
    Ditto Leanne and Maria and don't get me started on Peter and Liam's cheating ways. The point is why is it that Carla is singled out as a hypocrite and why is that posters feel the need to suggest Carla is getting what she deserves etc and yet not Maria or Leanne or for that matter Peter.

When Leanne cheated she got her fair share of criticisms and flack on here, but you can't do the same thing and then when it happens to you make out Tina's done any worse that you've not done yourself, consequences I would personally find it hard to sympathize with anyone who has twice had sex with married men and cheated on partners like Carla has done that too me is were the hypocrisy lies, same goes for Leanne and Peter.

As a viewer I'm fed up of theses cheating storylines anyway especially for Peter the cheater his had about 4 in six years since he come back, a bit ridiculous for any one character, in my opinion.
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    ...that is the thing which riles me - where the heck has her Mother been?
    I wonder what the excuse will be as to why she wasn't at Tina's bedside?.......cant think of one myself.

It is a bit off I would imagine that her mother is next of kin, but as Tina was estranged from her I guess it's not out of the realms of possibility that people would have a hard time getting hold of her but that would be the police responsibility.

but Her mother is in next week so we can presume she has been told.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no sympathy for Carla and it's nothing to do with the fact she was in the same position as Tina once upon a time. It's just based on the fact she is extremely selfish and cold hearted and the way she attacked Deirdre last night was horrendous.
  • Wheeler2Wheeler2 Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no sympathy for Carla and it's nothing to do with the fact she was in the same position as Tina once upon a time. It's just based on the fact she is extremely selfish and cold hearted and the way she attacked Deirdre last night was horrendous.

I think deidre deserved it . She was giving carla funny looks.

Carla has done wrong in the past . Haven't we all . But he's also had a lot done to get too.

She is as much a victim in this as Leanne was . She married because she thought peter loved her .
  • boxer1988boxer1988 Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harlowe wrote: »
    No it doesn't excuse it but Carla knew what Peter was like, his history speaks for itself. it's how they started out she took on someone who had a lot of baggage and issues to start with, but she doesn't have a right to take it out on everyone else that is my stance anyway.

I can't disagree with that and I know I will be getting frustrated if/when she takes it out on anyone who isn't her husband.
    Wheeler2 wrote: »
    I think deidre deserved it . She was giving carla funny looks.

Carla has done wrong in the past . Haven't we all . But he's also had a lot done to get too.

Have to agree with that too. Carla was just being friendly to Deirdre at first and she wasn't even going to mention Peter but Deirdre went out of her way to make it known whose side she was on and was already suggesting to the pub that Carla was struggling because of a 'guilty conscience'. I like Deirdre and I know Peter's her family but that was unfair and I'm not surprised Carla didn't let that go.
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxer1988 wrote: »
    Like Alison King said, what goes around comes around, so Carla's past mistakes (being the other woman, doing the cheating, betraying a friend etc.) were always going to come back on her but I don't believe that justifies Peter or Tina's behaviour, and Peter's betrayal was just the start of it because Carla's now being wrongly accused of murder and she's about to lose her baby. Gosh she was being tormented by Frank Foster not that long ago.
    Admittedly, I get frustrated when characters forget their own sins but it would be very strange if Carla wasn't hurt or angry with Tina, especially when she didn't even get the chance to confront her or ask her why. Tina may have just pretended to be Carla's friend but Carla genuinely cared about her and despite everything, she goes to Tina's funeral, which I think says a lot. I reckon there will be a time when she will either be reminded of her own mistakes or she will acknowledge them herself.

Peter has a lot to answer for though. There's no denying that Tina wouldn't leave Peter alone but he still had a choice. He chose to drop his pants and lie to his wife - who happened to be carrying his baby - for months. He eventually told Carla everything so why didn't he do that before letting Tina believe he loved her and would run away with her? It also says a lot that the only thing he could say when he tried to explain his behaviour is that Carla 'gave him too much' and Tina did all the running.

excellent post!
    yes people have affairs, i dont condone them but to be honest i know people who had affairs and they have stayed with those people for the last 10 yrs. you marry someone at 20 yrs old pfffft as if they are the love of your life.... everybody grows and changes as they get older and their are a hell of a lot of unhappy marriages about. society is not the same as it was 100 yrs ago.
    Carla found an attraction with peter when she was friends with leanne yes ! so she will be thinking Karma, but peter didnt keep carla as his mistress he married her and got her pregnant, now it becomes cheating on the wife and your unborn child. I used to love peter but now i just think hes a ball less ........ard
    Carla is strong and independent and i think she will end up with a couple of bambinos whilst still running her factory cause she isnt a victim ! Loving her vunerable side though :)
  • avon942avon942 Posts: 18,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dickronson wrote: »
    I also wouldn't mind her thinking about Maria in all of this.
    Whilst, being pregnant by a husband you have just found out has cheated is horrific, it was actually much worse for Maria, as Liam was dead to boot!

I hope we get some scenes between them when Maria gets back.:)
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I'll be disappointed if they don't have Carla acknowledge the similarities with the Leanne situation, they normally do a good job of making her self-aware of her wrongdoing when she's going through the wringer. I'm sure it will be mentioned, the parallels are too clear to ignore really - coping with Peter's deterioration, miscarriage, betrayed by a friend... although the Carla/Leanne friendship was actually a proper, natural one and not forcibly contrived to make the 'affair with a mate' story happen, or borderline lesbian like her and Michelle's questionable codependency thing (if foldy arms wasn't such a mean-spirited bore it'd probably be quite hot!).

But then again, I have to echo others; the fact that Carla has been the other woman in the past doesn't absolve her right to feel like any wronged woman (or man!) would now. She was taken in by Peter just like many others have and really thought they had something rock solid, and let's face it she given up a lot of her independence for him. All the while he's throwing it back in her face bemoaning how 'it's too much' and she's 'emasculated' him (though on the latter point I think he's done a good job of that all by himself, self-pitying waster). Hopefully in time she'll realise he's not worth the heartbroken wife bit and will move the hell on. I want Carla Connor back!

I do think it says a lot for her character, and indeed Alison King's portayal, that love her or loathe her, she's certainly generates a lot of actual discussion when she's at the thick of the action as opposed to just sharing hate and ways for her to die grimly. I hope one day her and Leanne can build some bridges... how will the two camps converse with one another if THAT ever happens?! ;)