Options

Are wisdom teeth supposed to hurt?

moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ive only got one wisdom tooth- its been coming through for about a year now, and I think its nearly through. Ive had no real problems up until now with it, just the odd bit of aching and tender gums.

But since yesterday its been killing me. Not so much the tooth itself, but the back of my mouth. I can't open my mouth properly because it hurts and I can chew food properly because that hurts as well. Yet when I bite its ok. Also my other teeth are not hurting and my gums are not swollen so I don't think its impacted- in fact it feels like its coming through straight.

Its like the pain is in my jaw:( Im taking pain killers but they are not doing much. Im with a detist but they are completley useless so its gonna be hard to get an appointment short notice.

What cna I do?

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You poor thing. I would take some ibuprofen case there is some swelling and then I would rinse your mouth with warm salty water. It is possible that you may have got a bit of food trapped and its gone a bit yeuchy. I had a flap over one of mine for years and food used to get trapped.

An antispetic mouthwash is also a good idea. If it gets really bad your dentist should offer an emergency service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in exactly the same boat as you op. My dentist has already x-rayed my teeth and all 4 of mine have to come out eventually. There is no room for the bottom ones so every now and again it irritates the inside of my cheek resulting in exactly the pain you are describing. I am on antibiotics at the moment to get rid of the infection as he can't remove the tooth when its infected. This is the third time this has got infected but I am terrified of needles so have put off having it out but I think I'm going to have to this time :(

You definately should rinse out with salt water as this is what my dentist told me to do but you ought to go and see the dentist as you may need antibiotics.

Hope you feel better soon!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to reassure people. I am dentist phobic in the extreme but I have had two wisdom teeth out and it was a breeze compared to having a filling. In both cases they had started causing problems and I was so pleased to see the back of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,687
    Forum Member
    my top two wisdom teeth and one bottom one came thru with no problems, but when my last one was coming thru i had what sounds like the same pain you're having. every few months it would flare up again. i eventually had to have it taken out, the reason for all the pain being that there wasn't enough room for the tooth to come fully through but it still kept trying. having it removed was sore, but not as sore as the flare-ups. i hope yours isn't as bad, but i suggest u see your dentist asap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bottom left has been making an appearnce for about a year also, it does get sore at times, but ibupforen cures its.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I had my x-rays done for braces when I was about 16, the dentist said I have 2 sets of wisdom teeth :eek: He called in the staff to have a look, they had never seen anything like it before (was like that episode in friends when Ross has that thing on his bum). At 25 I am now getting a bit scared and waiting for the sh!t to hit the fan, so to speak :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK well thanks for the advice, ive taken some Nurofen which has eased it a bit. Im wondering if maybe I have got some food stuck under the skin (Ewww that sounds gross) because the left hand back side of the tooth still has not come through properly.

If its still giving me jip on Monday I will ring the dentist and get an appointment, which will be fun as they don't offer a very good service to their NHS patients but thats another argument;)
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my 2 bottom ones came through when I was really young and had my back teeth removed to let them come through as there wasn't enough room...they gave my jaw ache and earache
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All four of mine have hurt at times, I think it is the normal process. If you think about it they slowly break through the gums and all the other teeth move a bit to accommodate them=pain!

Obviously if there isn't enough room for them then you need a dentist's advice. I've had mine coming through for about 6 years now they are all through apart from one which is still half way. I don't know about anyone else's but mine always had spurts of coming through so every few months I would suffer and then it would stop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    moonbaby wrote: »
    Ive only got one wisdom tooth- its been coming through for about a year now, and I think its nearly through. Ive had no real problems up until now with it, just the odd bit of aching and tender gums.

But since yesterday its been killing me. Not so much the tooth itself, but the back of my mouth. I can't open my mouth properly because it hurts and I can chew food properly because that hurts as well. Yet when I bite its ok. Also my other teeth are not hurting and my gums are not swollen so I don't think its impacted- in fact it feels like its coming through straight.

Its like the pain is in my jaw:( Im taking pain killers but they are not doing much. Im with a detist but they are completley useless so its gonna be hard to get an appointment short notice.

What cna I do?

Hi.....I`am a Dentist.....You have an infection in the gum around your erupting wisdom tooth.....the medical term is "pericorinitis"........You can`t open you mouth properly because the infection has spread into the muscles that move your jaw .Take anti-inflammatory pain killers such as ibuprofen and rinse vigorously with an antiseptic mouth wash.Make an appointment to see your Dentist(they are obliged to see you within 24hrs).....you should be given a short course of the anti-biotic metronidazole...this will clear up the infection.You should then have a further appointment made so that your Dentist can take a radiograph of this tooth in order to assess whether the tooth is impacted and hence likely to give you further problems......Do not believe all the horror stories you have heard about extracting wisdom teeth.The vast majority of these teeth erupt without causing problems.....if an extraction is required then again the vast majority can and are easily removed.....however a small minority of impacted wisdom teeth can be difficult to remove and it is these cases that give rise to the nightmare stories surrounding the extraction of wisdom teeth......Please remember that every case is different and needs to be assessed on an individual basis.
    If the stiffness of your jaw does not improve overnight then I would phone your Dentist tomorrow(Sunday)....there should be a message on the answer phone giving you the number of an out of hours emergency service.....if you get no joy from them and your jaw is so stiff that you can put no more than two fingers in your mouth(ie can`t open more than 15-20mm) then you should contact your out of hours GP to get these anti-biotics
    Tony.
  • Options
    shazspiceshazspice Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    this may sound a silly question but what age should wisdom teeth start coming through. Im 23 and none of mine have come through yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shazspice wrote: »
    this may sound a silly question but what age should wisdom teeth start coming through. Im 23 and none of mine have come through yet.

In theory 18....but I could write an essay on why that is not always the case.....I`ll keep this brief.....firstly you may not actually have any wisdom teeth....it is not uncommon for these teeth not to develop.....secondly your wisdom teeth may be present but remain buried within your jaw and will never erupt because there is insufficient room for them.....I`ll stop there because I`d be here all night explaining why there is insufficient room......but I`ll give you a clue....it`s due to a lack of very abrasive/gritty food in our modern diets....Trust me mother nature designed us so that are wisdom teeth would erupt without causing any problems.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All very well, provided...

theres enough space for the teeth to come through (some people have too many teeth to begin with).

the teeth done come through straight, but at an angle, thus running into other teeth.

how good or bad the job of taking the wisdom teeth out is varies. Some people's teeth are larger, or have longer roots, and they may not have much space due to having too many teeth to begin with. In such situations, the teeth have to be cut out, and this is some times in hospital.

Dave
  • Options
    Forum Member
    David (2) wrote: »
    All very well, provided...

theres enough space for the teeth to come through (some people have too many teeth to begin with).

the teeth done come through straight, but at an angle, thus running into other teeth.

how good or bad the job of taking the wisdom teeth out is varies. Some people's teeth are larger, or have longer roots, and they may not have much space due to having too many teeth to begin with. In such situations, the teeth have to be cut out, and this is some times in hospital.

Dave

Wrong.:)
  • Options
    winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    In theory 18....but I could write an essay on why that is not always the case.....I`ll keep this brief.....firstly you may not actually have any wisdom teeth....it is not uncommon for these teeth not to develop.....secondly your wisdom teeth may be present but remain buried within your jaw and will never erupt because there is insufficient room for them.....I`ll stop there because I`d be here all night explaining why there is insufficient room......but I`ll give you a clue....it`s due to a lack of very abrasive/gritty food in our modern diets....Trust me mother nature designed us so that are wisdom teeth would erupt without causing any problems.

Can they still be coming through in middle or even retirement age? I'm sure I have a tooth which growing bigger top left at the back, and now nearly as big as the surrounding ones. the one in front of it was removed years and years ago and it seems to be closing that gap slightly.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What cna I do?

Sounds like an infection. Make an appointment with the dentist.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    When I had my x-rays done for braces when I was about 16, the dentist said I have 2 sets of wisdom teeth :eek: He called in the staff to have a look, they had never seen anything like it before (was like that episode in friends when Ross has that thing on his bum). At 25 I am now getting a bit scared and waiting for the sh!t to hit the fan, so to speak :cry:

Holy ^%*!!! That sound really bad!!! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi.....I`am a Dentist.....You have an infection in the gum around your erupting wisdom tooth.....the medical term is "pericorinitis"........You can`t open you mouth properly because the infection has spread into the muscles that move your jaw .Take anti-inflammatory pain killers such as ibuprofen and rinse vigorously with an antiseptic mouth wash.Make an appointment to see your Dentist(they are obliged to see you within 24hrs).....you should be given a short course of the anti-biotic metronidazole...this will clear up the infection.You should then have a further appointment made so that your Dentist can take a radiograph of this tooth in order to assess whether the tooth is impacted and hence likely to give you further problems......Do not believe all the horror stories you have heard about extracting wisdom teeth.The vast majority of these teeth erupt without causing problems.....if an extraction is required then again the vast majority can and are easily removed.....however a small minority of impacted wisdom teeth can be difficult to remove and it is these cases that give rise to the nightmare stories surrounding the extraction of wisdom teeth......Please remember that every case is different and needs to be assessed on an individual basis.
    If the stiffness of your jaw does not improve overnight then I would phone your Dentist tomorrow(Sunday)....there should be a message on the answer phone giving you the number of an out of hours emergency service.....if you get no joy from them and your jaw is so stiff that you can put no more than two fingers in your mouth(ie can`t open more than 15-20mm) then you should contact your out of hours GP to get these anti-biotics
    Tony.

Wow. Thanks for this. I am going to ring the dentist tommorrow. Its not so bad thats its causing me agony, but I want to get it sorted before it gets any worse.

I can't understand how its got infected at all, im always careful with my teeth. I brush twice a day use mouthwash etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    winenroses wrote: »
    Can they still be coming through in middle or even retirement age? I'm sure I have a tooth which growing bigger top left at the back, and now nearly as big as the surrounding ones. the one in front of it was removed years and years ago and it seems to be closing that gap slightly.

In short yes......I myself had an upper wisdom tooth removed in my early 30`s......As you`v already had a tooth removed there should be enough room for this erupting tooth and you should`t have any problems...(fingers crossed)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow. Thanks for this. I am going to ring the dentist tommorrow. Its not so bad thats its causing me agony, but I want to get it sorted before it gets any worse.

I can't understand how its got infected at all, im always careful with my teeth. I brush twice a day use mouthwash etc.

.....don`t worry...it`s not because your not cleaning your teeth properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .....don`t worry...it`s not because your not cleaning your teeth properly.

OK Lol. Its just because ive never had any problems with my teeth before. Ive been quite lucky- ive only got one filling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have problems with mine nearly all the time. The one bottom one has been causing pain for about 2 years, has only really broken through in past year. Sometimes it catches the side of my mouth and cuts it, and sometimes the are around the tooth itself hurts (like you described). And now the other bottom one is doing the same. Next checkup I will ask for an XRay to see if they need removing!

Anyway...althought you may think you are being careful, they are situated awkwardly, so sometimes (even though you do brush thoroughly and use mouthwash) something can get stuck and affect the tooth and surrounding area. As other have suggested, just use warm salt water to rinse the mouth, and carry on using mouthwash also. If possible, brush after each meal to aid in preventing further infection. Maybe even floss if brushing isn't always suitable.

If it does get unbearable, phone the dentist, explain the situation and try and get an appt. asap.
  • Options
    Andy CarltonAndy Carlton Posts: 4,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suffered for a couple of weeks with each tooth coming through and I still have all mine at 38 and they have never caused any pain since.

I am surprised at how many ae having problems with wisdom teeth?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right well ive been to the dentist this morning and yes, its definatly infected. He could tell just by touching my jaw that it was. Apparently my face has been slightly swollen today so obviousley the infection is getting worse.

Well I have been given some very strong anti biotics and a moutwash that tastes disgusting. But apparently my tooth is growing sideways, and its going into my cheek. So although this should clear the infection for now it will probably keep returning:(

He's advised me that I will need to have it removed in the long run- so I am going to think about it and go back in a month.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What cna I do?

Sounds like you have an infection (I haven't read whole thread sorry - I am sure someone has already said this) and chances are you'll need antibiotics.

I had this a few months back and was in so much pain I couldn't eat, sleep or even think really. I am not one for taking painkillers but I was in so much agony I am sure I was even going over the recommended doses?? :eek:

It took until day 3/4 of a 5 day course of antibiotics until I felt semi normal. It was horrendous!!

I cannot say anything other than get to a dentist ASAP - if you cannot get your regular one just call around in your area, dentists will see you as an emergency. I paid £29 to be seen and then another £8 for the antibiotics...

For future reference make sure you buy a small toothbrush designed to be able to fit under the folds of skin covering the wisdom teeth and make sure you brush whatever part of the tooth that is poking through twice a day. If you feel the pain start up again then use a medicated mouthwash such as Cordosyl (sp?). This is the advice the dentist gave to me and touch wood....

EDIT: I should have read the whole thread!!!

So it was an infection OP? Did they flush out your gum/s for you? I hope you feel a little bit better just by going (may take a few days for the antibiotics to kick in though)

As I say I had this not so long ago and it was awful, the worst pain I've ever been in so I do sympathise!!

If it's something that will reoccur I would def look into getting the tooth removed!!