• Random PrecisionRandom Precision Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    I watched Avatar on Sky 3D last night and WOW, im so glad i bought a 3DTV
    Me too, it was stunning:)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The biggest question is "are they as good on non 3D content as a non 3D set. Anybody?

Of course, the TV isn't really any different - it has a few added features, but nothing is taken away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping to pick one up in 2011. Was looking at this one. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Hoping to pick one up in 2011. Was looking at this one. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Thats the TV ive got, and both 3D and 2D look stunning

HD Looks amazing out of the box and with slight tweaking 3D looks amazing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member

Got that one myself, highly recommended :)

About the best 2D picture i have seen with teh added bonus of being able to show 3D:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

C225 wrote: »

About the best 2D picture i have seen with teh added bonus of being able to show 3D:cool:

Brilliant, cheers guys :)
  • malcommalcom Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the current 3D technology will soon be redundant.....Toshiba are shipping in Japan 20" 3D TV's that don't reguire viewing glassess.....Larger screens under development a 52" having been demonstarted.......Other makers will certainly follow.......

Sky will have to think again sooner rather than later.......
    Forum Member
    malcom wrote: »
    I think the current 3D technology will soon be redundant.....Toshiba are shipping in Japan 20" 3D TV's that don't reguire viewing glassess.....Larger screens under development a 52" having been demonstarted.......Other makers will certainly follow.......

Sky will have to think again sooner rather than later.......

What does that have to do with Sky? - Sky don't make TV's.

I would imagine the difference in in the TV technology, not the broadcast system - or are you claiming all 3D BD players could be obselete as well?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malcom wrote: »
    I think the current 3D technology will soon be redundant.....Toshiba are shipping in Japan 20" 3D TV's that don't reguire viewing glassess.....Larger screens under development a 52" having been demonstarted

While I don't doubt they're developing these things, various companies have been supposedly developing them for years. The 3D won't be anywhere near as good as seperate HD images to each eye and the set will physically have to be deeper to have some depth to the background image. Wait for that technology and you'll be missing out!
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brin1 wrote: »
    think you're confusing LED and OLED

Well, I'm only confused to the extent that I didn't realise that the manufacturers were now calling LED-backlit LCD screens "LED TVs".

I find that misleading and confusing for everyone.

It's going to be difficult to launch "true" LED TVs in the future. OK, they can call them "OLED TVs", but that is going to sound like a relatively subtle difference to the average consumer. Ironically it is the change from "normal" LCD screens to "LED backlit" LCD screens which is actually the subtle change here. The move to OLED will mean "perfect" blacks and much faster response times. Now that's a change I am willing to embrace.

A quick google confirms that OLED screens are indeed rare - the LG 15 incher at about £1.5k seems to be the only one out right now. Still, that stacks up with £5k for a 50 incher (not much more than 5 years ago) - so there's hope yet.

Sadly I fear that lower quality LCD screens will catch on with the mainstream and make true LED screen a non-commercial prospect. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lower quality LCD screens are now being produced to target the less affluent populations of Brazil , China , India and Russia. I guess it wont be too long before the same TV's are available in Argos , Aldi and Lidl at seemingly bargain prices.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone comment on how good 3D is on a LG PX990 series plasma please ?
    Forum Member
    Lower quality LCD screens are now being produced to target the less affluent populations of Brazil , China , India and Russia. I guess it wont be too long before the same TV's are available in Argos , Aldi and Lidl at seemingly bargain prices.

What makes you think they aren't aleady? - basically the cheaper low quality sets are just made using cheap and older generation technology. In particular the LCD panels are usually two or three generations behind the better makes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I am on the verge of buying a new set and for a variety of reasons have pretty much decided on a 3d capable one with a new blueray player.

The question I have may seem dumb, but if sky transmits two half size stereo images doesn't that mean that the picture I see through the glasses will only be half size? Suddenly that 40" doesn't seem that big.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

C225 wrote: »

Just also to add, I'm not right up to speed on the glasses situation. What glasses does that Sammy require?
    Forum Member
    I am on the verge of buying a new set and for a variety of reasons have pretty much decided on a 3d capable one with a new blueray player.

The question I have may seem dumb, but if sky transmits two half size stereo images doesn't that mean that the picture I see through the glasses will only be half size? Suddenly that 40" doesn't seem that big.

When you set the TV to 'side-by-side' it combines the two images to give a full size one - that's why you need a 3D TV.
    Forum Member
    Just also to add, I'm not right up to speed on the glasses situation. What glasses does that Sammy require?

You need the Samsung ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Thanks Nigel!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member

At the moment all the companies are using their own settings and timing, which means you can only use the glassess made by that company....
    Forum Member

Samsung Active glasses

if you go for the TV with the offer of a 3D Blu ray player plus the Shrek films you get 2 pairs anyway :D
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Thing is if you have a big family they will all have to wear the glasses . Cant watch normally or the screen would just be fuzzy. Cant you get 3d contact lenses (joke!)
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Thing is if you have a big family they will all have to wear the glasses . Cant watch normally or the screen would just be fuzzy. Cant you get 3d contact lenses (joke!)

Not a bad one either :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gyran_tol wrote: »
    At the moment all the companies are using their own settings and timing, which means you can only use the glassess made by that company....
    Samsung Active glasses

if you go for the TV with the offer of a 3D Blu ray player plus the Shrek films you get 2 pairs anyway :D

Thanks for that. I'll look out for that BD player offer :)
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. I'll look out for that BD player offer :)

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-le40c750-40-full-hd-3d-ready-lcd-tv-with-free-shrek-3d-the-complete-collection-free-3d-blu-ray-player-and-2-pairs-of-3d-glasses-08764393-pdt.html

there you go, there website seems to be busy, and im not sure what stock levels are like, as my TV was the last one out of 6 stores in the area