Options

What is being done about North Korea?

Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
Forum Member
✭✭
As they have specifically said they are going to target long-range nuclear missiles at the US, doesn't that amount to declaring war? And if not, surely it's only a matter of time (1-2 years I should think) before a major US city is destroyed?

Comments

• Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let China deal with them. They dont want NK ruining their trading with the USA by nukeing them. Its bad for business!
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does the OP ever return to any of her "The end of the world is nigh " threads?
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Nothing is done because nothing can be done without starting a war which at the very least will end up making a mess of Seoul.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if not, surely it's only a matter of time (1-2 years I should think) before a major US city is destroyed?

Clutches sides to avoid splits.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let China deal with them. They dont want NK ruining their trading with the USA by nukeing them. Its bad for business!
    China are allied with them I thought? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Clutches sides to avoid splits.

:D:D:D:D:D
    Why do you think it's funny if that happens?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they have specifically said they are going to target long-range nuclear missiles at the US, doesn't that amount to declaring war? And if not, surely it's only a matter of time (1-2 years I should think) before a major US city is destroyed?

Don't you think the US already have nukes targeted at certain countries including N.Korea? Doesn't mean a declaration of war.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

America and the USSR have missiles pointed at each other for nearly 50 years. Neither actually fought a war against each other in all that time. (although they did fight various proxies which includes the Korean War, Vietnam War and Afghanistan - with the US backing the Mujaheddin during the Russian occupation of that land, plus the failed invasion of Cuba in the Bay of Pigs).
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if not, surely it's only a matter of time (1-2 years I should think) before a major US city is destroyed?

Yeah, right :D
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must be a bundle of laughs at a dinner party
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How Do You Solve a Problem Like Korea?
  • Options
    thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanctions.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Global warming?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Sound of Music parody? :)

How about "The hills are alive with the sound of gunfire" to solve the problem
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Sound of Music parody? :)

How about "The hills are alive with the sound of gunfire" to solve the problem

Send in some nuns and a troupe of singing children. That'll scare the life out of them.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    they do have a delivery system but

miniturising warheads is actually very difficult and expensive

but like israel and iran the US wont let this happen and will strike before

they get too close

they will have embedded spies monitoring the situation
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member

You overestimate NK and underestimate the US dramatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    You overestimate NK and underestimate the US dramatically.

Send in Team America :D
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered what the North Korean state teaches their children about other countries in the world. We know they've been told to see the USA as the great Satan himself and South Korea as the north's evil twin and I also expect they tell their people the Chinese, the Iranians and the Russians are their best pals but what do they tell the people about the rest of us?
    What is the official state line on say, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil etc? Are they all evil too? Do they even bother telling them that there are other countries in the world besides their own and their friends and enemies?

Just curious about just how limited the information about the rest of the world the ordinary North Koreans have access to. If I went to North Korea, approached an ordinary North Korean and told them Im from England, would they even know that country exists, let alone be able to point it on the map?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    I've often wondered what the North Korean state teaches their children about other countries in the world. We know they've been told to see the USA as the great Satan himself and South Korea as the north's evil twin and I also expect they tell their people the Chinese, the Iranians and the Russians are their best pals but what do they tell the people about the rest of us?
    What is the official state line on say, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil etc? Are they all evil too? Do they even bother telling them that there are other countries in the world besides their own and their friends and enemies?

Just curious about just how limited the information about the rest of the world the ordinary North Koreans have access to. If I went to North Korea, approached an ordinary North Korean and told them Im from England, would they even know that country exists, let alone be able to point it on the map?

It's possible that they might know something about England as the North Korean football team became national heroes for their exploits in the 1966 World Cup

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/08/north-korea-world-cup-middlesbrough
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called posturing. They want more aid.

Even if it wasn't, China would step in long before they'd risk the US turning another of their neighbours into a forward operating base.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    The DPRK would happily abandon their nuclear weapons if the rest of the world followed suit. The nation is under heavy sanctions and pressure, its military must be given priority so long as the international community continues to violate its national sovereignty. The DPRK as an independent sovereign nation and has the right to launch satellites for peaceful purposes and to explore space, as well as developing more powerful rocket-carrying capabilities in order to counterbalance the hostile US military and for the self-defence of the DPRK.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DPRK would happily abandon their nuclear weapons if the rest of the world followed suit. The nation is under heavy sanctions and pressure, its military must be given priority so long as the international community continues to violate its national sovereignty. The DPRK as an independent sovereign nation and has the right to launch satellites for peaceful purposes and to explore space, as well as developing more powerful rocket-carrying capabilities in order to counterbalance the hostile US military and for the self-defence of the DPRK.

Thank you for that Mr Kim!
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    It's possible that they might know something about England as the North Korean football team became national heroes for their exploits in the 1966 World Cup

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/08/north-korea-world-cup-middlesbrough
    Forgot about that. I wonder then if they see us as allies or just America's sidekick nowadays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not intended as a take over of This thread. Please read all you'll see the connection!;)
    We should also mention Iran thay said thay would wipe Israel off of the map. that would cause war to break out between countries all over the world, Israel (Jerusalem) is the religious center of three major religions, Jews, Christians and Muslims, Hopefully the Christians would behave as taught by Jesus 'Forgive your enemy' but I can't speak for the others.
    I believe it would have the same effect as north Korea hitting an Amarican City.