Merging Apple ID's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
Forum Member
Trying to set up iphone and get organised but have a problem.I have two Apple IDs, and I'd like to just use one. Is there a way of merging the two so my itunes purchases and apps from the original one show on my newer account please, and it would also help setting up icloud etc.
Before anyone says it, yes I did email this to Apple who say they can't discuss ID questions, even general ones, unless I call their premium number...so anyone on here please?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apple does not give the option of merging 2 IDs together.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As above. I doubt there will ever be an option to do this as it would effectively allow hacked / hijacked IDs to be permanently stolen.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5622

I have multiple Apple IDs. Is there a way for me to merge them into a single Apple ID?

Apple IDs cannot be merged. You should use your preferred Apple ID from now on, but you can still access your purchased items such as music, movies, or software using your other Apple IDs.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way to do it is before you've created the 2nd iCloud ID. i.e. if you have a legacy Apple ID - i.e. a normal (non Apple) email address which was just used for iTunes purchases, you can then get an extra iCloud email address then both serve as the same Apple ID in future. You can do this easily from an iDevice by using your old Apple ID for iCloud, then just turn on Email or Notes and you will be prompted to create a user@icloud.com address which will become an alias for your original Apple ID.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    The only way to do it is before you've created the 2nd iCloud ID. i.e. if you have a legacy Apple ID - i.e. a normal (non Apple) email address which was just used for iTunes purchases, you can then get an extra iCloud email address then both serve as the same Apple ID in future. You can do this easily from an iDevice by using your old Apple ID for iCloud, then just turn on Email or Notes and you will be prompted to create a user@icloud.com address which will become an alias for your original Apple ID.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'legacy' Apple ID. You can choose any email address you want as the primary email address for an Apple ID, and it can be changed too.

You don't have to create a new Apple ID with an 'Apple' email address.

What you've described above simply adds the newly created iCloud email address to the list of alternate email addresses for the Apple ID in question, which is what allows that email address to be used to sign in to the Apple ID.

The OP is looking for a way of merging two existing Apple IDs, both with purchases, into a single consolidated ID. This is definitely not possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roush wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'legacy' Apple ID. You can choose any email address you want as the primary email address for an Apple ID, and it can be changed too.

You don't have to create a new Apple ID with an 'Apple' email address.

What you've described above simply adds the newly created iCloud email account to the list of alternate email addresses for the Apple ID in question, which is what allows that email address to be used to sign in to the Apple ID.

The OP is looking for a way of merging two existing Apple IDs, both with purchases, into a single consolidated ID. This is definitely not possible.
    I know. Which is why I said 'before' the creation of the 2nd ID. If you have 2 IDs both with purchases they cannot be merged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't merge Apple IDs full stop. I don't get what you're saying about a second ID as your post only ever referred to one ID. Activating iCloud Mail on an existing ID doesn't create a second ID, it just gives you a new email address.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't merge Apple IDs full stop. I don't get what you're saying about a second ID as your post only ever referred to one ID. Activating iCloud Mail on an existing ID doesn't create a second ID, it just gives you a new email address.

It's an alias. Same account. The last thing needed is a second account which cannot be merged.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second account is the last thing needed for what though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second account is the last thing needed for what though?
    Purchases. Much easier to have one account. Or it gets confusing and a total hassle with updates etc.