University Placements

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello all.

I'm not sure if I should be worried about this or not.

I've applied for three universities for next year through UCAS. Technically I'm a mature student (will be 25 when I start) and don't really have any qualifications in the subject, although some experience. My reference was written by somebody who heads up a volunteering thing that I do each year which is where I've gained experience.

Also, rather stupidly, I forgot (or didn't think about) to put my GCSE results on my UCAS form, although I do have 2 BTEC National Diplomas to my name (with MMP and DDM as the results).

This is where I'm slightly worried.

Two of the universities contacted me to ask for my GCSE results which I've passed on to them. One of these two have since offered me an interview, the other I'm still waiting to hear from.

The third university have given me an 'unconditional offer'. With no interview, so no finding out about what I'm like or anything, and with no formal qualifications in this subject to my name, bar an OCN which counts for peanuts really, and no GCSE results. I'm worried that if they'll accept me without actually seeing what I'm like that the course won't be brilliant.

Any thoughts?

(And yes, I do know how stupid it is of me to apply to go to university during the current 'economic climate', especially as I've got a fairly good job (the fact that I don't like it much at the moment is neither here nor there) but this is something I have thought about for a while and have had much encouragement from other people who all think I should do it too, so I'm giving it a go anyway.)

Comments

• dawndavenportdawndavenport Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dissonance wrote: »
    Hello all.

I've applied for three universities for next year through UCAS. Technically I'm a mature student (will be 25 when I start) and don't really have any qualifications in the subject, although some experience. My reference was written by somebody who heads up a volunteering thing that I do each year which is where I've gained experience.

Also, rather stupidly, I forgot (or didn't think about) to put my GCSE results on my UCAS form, although I do have 2 BTEC National Diplomas to my name (with MMP and DDM as the results).

Two of the universities contacted me to ask for my GCSE results which I've passed on to them. One of these two have since offered me an interview, the other I'm still waiting to hear from.

The third university have given me an 'unconditional offer'. With no interview, so no finding out about what I'm like or anything, and with no formal qualifications in this subject to my name, bar an OCN which counts for peanuts really, and no GCSE results. I'm worried that if they'll accept me without actually seeing what I'm like that the course won't be brilliant.

Any thoughts?

(And yes, I do know how stupid it is of me to apply to go to university during the current 'economic climate', especially as I've got a fairly good job (the fact that I don't like it much at the moment is neither here nor there) but this is something I have thought about for a while and have had much encouragement from other people who all think I should do it too, so I'm giving it a go anyway.)

Dont apologise or make excuses for going to Uni...good on you! Its much harder when youre older - im doing it myself.

Anyway. If the Uni has made an offer, firstly well done! Secondly, theyve made an offer based on your mature student status and your experience/qualifications so far. It may be that your personal statement sold you over your lack of qualifications. Dont worry about it too much - youll be fine! Perhaps call and ask to speak with the admissions team just to get your worrys put to rest.

Well done again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it a social work course?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi - and congrats on your offer / interviews!

Some universities use "contextual factors" in their selection process and one of these "factors" may be the fact that you are a mature student. This means that you may have achieved an extra point in the selection process because of your status.

Also, depending on the course, they may value life / work experience over formal qualifications. Nonetheless, I am a wee bit surprised that the uni that has given you an unconditional didn't even want your GCSE grades, since all courses / unis will have minimum academic requirements that all students have to fulfill. Mind you, they may have just considered that your BTECs do this.

It's not very likely that just because a uni's given you an unconditional the course is rubbish: have a good look on their website, try to find course / module descriptors etc. and see what you think.

Obviously, do your very best at the interviews and get more offers so that you can then be the one who's choosing! But I wouldn't automatically be put off the uni who has already made you an offer.

Well done again!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway. If the Uni has made an offer, firstly well done! Secondly, theyve made an offer based on your mature student status and your experience/qualifications so far. It may be that your personal statement sold you over your lack of qualifications. Dont worry about it too much - youll be fine! Perhaps call and ask to speak with the admissions team just to get your worrys put to rest.
    Some universities use "contextual factors" in their selection process and one of these "factors" may be the fact that you are a mature student. This means that you may have achieved an extra point in the selection process because of your status.

Also, depending on the course, they may value life / work experience over formal qualifications. Nonetheless, I am a wee bit surprised that the uni that has given you an unconditional didn't even want your GCSE grades, since all courses / unis will have minimum academic requirements that all students have to fulfill. Mind you, they may have just considered that your BTECs do this.

It's not very likely that just because a uni's given you an unconditional the course is rubbish: have a good look on their website, try to find course / module descriptors etc. and see what you think.

Obviously, do your very best at the interviews and get more offers so that you can then be the one who's choosing! But I wouldn't automatically be put off the uni who has already made you an offer.
    I'm not really saying that the course is rubbish, but I was just expecting an interview - I applied for one last year (only one, bit silly of me really) and had the interview where it seemed, as there was a bit of 'practical' with it, they were also making sure that candidates were suitable for the course, and given that the uni that has offered me a place has only seen me 'on paper' I'm just a bit wary. Perhaps it's kind of a bit of me thinking that I'm not good enough (something which I need to make sure doesn't come across at my interviews!), so I'm wary that if they'll accept me 'just like that' then they can't be too worried about who they'll accept. Darn my low self-esteem!

I know it's possible for people with no proper qualifications to get into university as I've got a friend doing Physics who left school with few decent GCSE grades and attempted three courses at college and didn't complete. If he can do it, anybody can! Another friend said that unis have to fulfil a certain quota of mature students so I might be more likely to get in, but I'm not holding faith in that!

I'm going to have a proper look around at some point (guess I should go to see the place before I make any committment) as well as a browse around on the Internet to find out from people who actually go there what it's like - I know you can't always base stuff on what the marketing department of the place says!
    Is it a social work course?
    It is not. I'm deliberately being vague over the course and not mentioning which universities I've applied for (although one has had too applications, one for a foundation degree and one for a proper degree) :)
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any qualification is good, it shows you can learn. An unconditional offer is excellent - if you're not too sure go research the University, find out the drop out rate (if it's high then you'll need to think carefully) find out how many people go into work from the course, and how many continue on in education. The University obviously believe that you are an ideal candidate and will do them good. (Accepting people who will fail/drop out/struggle will not do their reputation any favours, whereas a good student with a good pass rate will..)
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    An unconditional offer is fantastic! :) Universities tend to like mature students and judge them in a very different way to A Level students. Have you visited the uni yet? If not, definitley do so. Speak to current students, they tend to be very honest and helpful. Good luck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not. I'm deliberately being vague over the course and not mentioning which universities I've applied for (although one has had too applications, one for a foundation degree and one for a proper degree) :)

Oh okay, just wondering as for social work if you have a certain amount of relevant experience you can be accepted without an interview. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    OP - I started uni as a mature student in september (and its the best thing I've ever done). I applied in feb, with 12 GCSE's to my name, and no relevant experience (its an animal based course), I had an unconditional offer within 14 days.

The course is excellent (one of the best in its field) and the fact that they didn't interview me didn't put me off at all. Some of the other mature students did have interviews, so I asked my tutor why I didn't and she explained that they take alot on the basis of your application. How good your recommendations are, as well as how you come across on the bits you fill in. So maybe its just that you had an excellent, relevant recommendation and they didn't see a need to interview you.

For what its worth, I took the foundation degree option, with the view to topping up to a batchelors at the end of year 2, since starting I've found that I much prefer the practical side, and will probably not top up, so its worth exploring both options, you may find one suits you better than the other.

Good luck with it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    OP - I started uni as a mature student in september (and its the best thing I've ever done). I applied in feb, with 12 GCSE's to my name, and no relevant experience (its an animal based course), I had an unconditional offer within 14 days.

The course is excellent (one of the best in its field) and the fact that they didn't interview me didn't put me off at all. Some of the other mature students did have interviews, so I asked my tutor why I didn't and she explained that they take alot on the basis of your application. How good your recommendations are, as well as how you come across on the bits you fill in. So maybe its just that you had an excellent, relevant recommendation and they didn't see a need to interview you.

For what its worth, I took the foundation degree option, with the view to topping up to a batchelors at the end of year 2, since starting I've found that I much prefer the practical side, and will probably not top up, so its worth exploring both options, you may find one suits you better than the other.

Good luck with it!
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm probably looking too much into it and should be excited that I've been given an unconditional offer - I was at first, it's only in the last week or so that I've been thinking about it. I shouldn't think so much about stuff! Never good for me to do that!

It wasn't the Foundation degree that I applied for that has given me this place; I applied for the batchelors at this uni. I haven't really got that good a set of GCSE results - only 8 at C or above, not including English S&L - but I guess the other qualifications I have could've clinched it. I don't suppose everybody has two BTEC Nationals, but that's really only equivalent to 5-and-a-bit A-Levels. My reference and personal statement must've been better than I thought!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one who went in as a mature student and didn't get an interview. I'm now in my second year of a Psychology degree.

As far as I'm aware, unis take mature students on their life experience, although grades can help. If they've offered you an unconditional without an interview, they must think that you can handle the course and that you're the person they want.

Go to an Open Day. That way, you'll be able to chat to lecturers and students, and see how you feel.

Well done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry, whether or not you get interviews depends on the uni and the course. No one on my course had an interview and its a really good course.
  • I love EllieI love Ellie Posts: 8,009
    Forum Member
    Hello all.

Any thoughts?

At last, someone who calls University "University" and not the horrible "Uni".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm probably looking too much into it and should be excited that I've been given an unconditional offer - I was at first, it's only in the last week or so that I've been thinking about it. I shouldn't think so much about stuff! Never good for me to do that!

It wasn't the Foundation degree that I applied for that has given me this place; I applied for the batchelors at this uni. I haven't really got that good a set of GCSE results - only 8 at C or above, not including English S&L - but I guess the other qualifications I have could've clinched it. I don't suppose everybody has two BTEC Nationals, but that's really only equivalent to 5-and-a-bit A-Levels. My reference and personal statement must've been better than I thought!

5 and a bit A Levels is pretty good, most students only leave with 3 (sometimes 4) so your probably ahead of the curve. They wouldn't accept you onto a batchelors without being sure you'd be able to handle the work