Xperia Arc Music Data Loss

porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I use a 16Gb memory card in my old regular Sony phone.
I transferred the music via cd to PS3 and then PS3 to memory card as it was a million times quicker than loading cd's into the PC.

In my old phone the card reads most music with correct albums , artists and tracks and even a few album covers with purchased albums and a few others too.

However , I moved the memory card to a new Xperia Arc and the majority of the music is unknown - both artists and albums.

Correct info is restricted to purchased tracks that were bought from Amazon or Play and my illegally downloaded tracks that had info added via Itunes.

It looks like I'm going to have load all the cd's to Itunes and then to the card again in order for the phone to get all the correct info.

Does anyone know of an App that might be able to decode the info from the card as it is or any way to do it quicker than loading discs to the PC?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would seem that in order to retain data the music needs to be transferred from the PC using Sony's Media Go program.
    I've copied the music to the PC and put it into the Media Go program but it's taking ages to find the album artwork
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't be necessary to use Sony's program. I have about 300 songs on my Xperia Arc - a combination of Amazon-bought, ripped from CD, and acquired from elsewhere - and all of them retain the correct ID3 information and, in the case of the Amazon-bought ones, the album art too. So something's not right with yours.

1) If you open the MP3 files in, say, Windows Media Player, is the artist and album information correct?

2) What app are you using on the phone? The stock one, or another?

3) You say you go from PS3 to microSD card rather than PC to microSD. I don't own a PS3 so have never tried this; does the PS3 do anything screwy to the files when it transfers them to the microSD?

4) When you transfer, which USB mode are you using on the phone?

We should be able to get to the bottom of this, but it's hard to suggest a starting point at the moment as there are too many possibilities!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD's are copied to the PS3 although they are in AAC mode but thats not made any difference with the files copied to the card and played on a Sony Cedar.
    And the music does play on the Arc , just no info.

The purchased tracks also have album art on the Cedar and Arc.

At the moment not tried much .
    Simply transferred the memory card from a Nokia phone where info was visible into the Arc where its all gone so not needed a USB connection yet.

Opened the Music on the Arc using the Music icon supplied on the phone and while tracks and albums are there they are all showing as ????

Putting the memory card into the PS3 and the PC shows all the correct info

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I fear I may have to erase the card and start again from scratch by loading the music to the PC first.

Not tried it yet but will have a try with Media Go soon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the same true of both AAC and MP3 files, or just AAC?

It might be worth downloading another music player (eg. Mixzing or Winamp) to the phone and seeing if it has the same trouble. It may rule out a couple of potential problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the files of both formats are a problem.

I connected the phone to the PC and the relevant info is all present and correct.

I used MediaGo to copy all media from the memory card to the Media Go program and all the info is there.

I'm now copying it all back to the memory card after erasing it ( having checked via a short test to another card) and while its extremely slow the info is now appearing ok with artists , albums and even some cover art.

Damn nuisance but it seems to be working.
    I guess instead of transferring straight from the PS3 ( which works fine on the Cedar) I'll have to transfer into Media Go then to the Arc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm glad it's working now after all the hassle! Sounds like something's going a bit screwy in the transfer from PS3 to microSD card. At least you now have a solution, even if it's not entirely ideal for you.