David Hess Has Died (Last House/ Edge Of Park)

porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
Forum Member
✭✭✭
You might not know the name but you'll know him when you see him.
Best known for playing sleazebags in the original Last House on the Left and House On the Edge of the Park.
He also wrote the music for Last House and played a similar role in Hitchhike.
He was 69

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties_news.htm#David_Hess_9110

Comments

• thewhizzthewhizz Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Quite a shock really. I bought quite a few signed items from his webstore years ago when it was still active. Quite a shock really as he had done some conventions this year and was said to be in great health. I know he was pencilled to start in quite a few movies and i always thought i would get the chance to meet him. I never went to see him when Smash Cut was screening in London or last year when he was in Glasgow for a screening and Q&A. It will be interesting to see if his family do any kind of re-release of the Last House On The Left soundtrack or any of the many other songs he's done over the past 50 odd years.
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just heard about this. What a damn shame. :(
    The man was a fantastic actor, and such a convincing screen villain. My favourite role of his has to be Alex in House on the Edge of the Park. Always manages to creep the hell out of me. And he was just as fantastic in Last House on the Left.
    RIP David. You will be missed. :(
  • MacclesMaccles Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    It is shocking indeed. Apparantly the upcoming House On The Edge of The Park DVD was already produced before news of his passing so there wont be any extras on there mentioning David's passing. Some people suggested some kind of slipcase to go over the DVD as a type of commemorative edition but apparantly this is not possible either as the discs have been sent to retailers. I'm surprised that DVDs are sent to retailers weeks in advance. It certainly would have been nice for them to make some kind of slipcase or special inserts for future pressings and even give those that have pre-ordered or bought the DVD when it comes out a chance to get these items. It really wouldn't cost them a lot to do.

It's just a shame horror conventions never really took off in this country. There's so many actors i would have loved the chance to have met, that attend many events all year round in America but never come here. I always imagined David as being a rough and tough guy and someone i would have had a chance to meet someday. I still have some personal emails from him in my email folders and also some signed items i got from him years ago via his website when he was actively on there so in some ways i have more than most fans could hope for but I still wish i could have met the man in person. His death really has affected me.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nhodkin147 wrote: »
    My favourite role of his has to be Alex in House on the Edge of the Park. Always manages to creep the hell out of me.

Yes, he was superb in that film, really menacing.
    R.I.P. :(
    Forum Member
    Here is a short clip from the upcoming House On The Edge Of The Park DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-KlDz_kEdQ
  • nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't gonna buy this because I already have the region 1 uncut version, but I'm gonna buy it now in memory of David. And as you said, it's a shame they couldn't have held the release back a bit and put a tribute to David on the DVD extras, or put it in some sort of memorial slipcase. :(
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK dvd is cut. Waste of money.
    There are bonus feature about Hess on the dvd's and Blurays of Last House on the Left (only out on bluray in the US)
    Forum Member
    Most people will be buying it for the extras anyway.

The bluray for Last House On The Left can be bought on Amazon for a little over a tenner and it is region free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccles wrote: »
    Most people will be buying it for the extras anyway.

The bluray for Last House On The Left can be bought on Amazon for a little over a tenner and it is region free.

Thats the remake.
    The recent Bluray for the original movie does not seem to appear on Amazon UK although they have an image of the cover which then leads to specs of the remake:confused:
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rest in peace :(
    Forum Member
    porkpie wrote: »
    Thats the remake.
    The recent Bluray for the original movie does not seem to appear on Amazon UK although they have an image of the cover which then leads to specs of the remake:confused:

It could be a user that has uploaded the image and was selling it as a private seller.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maccles wrote: »
    It could be a user that has uploaded the image and was selling it as a private seller.

But it leads to Amazon info for the remake - can't find it on Amazon.com either.

This is the disc:

http://www.movietyme.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=22&products_id=52322