Options

Baby P - the untold story

d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else watching?
Absolutely sickening what that poor baby went through but an interesting documentary.

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am watching.

The clinic where the consultants worked was absolutely shocking.

Looking back at the witch hunt which took place and hearing the details of the serious case review does not make for comfortable viewing.

The conditions which some were working in were a recipe for disaster - not unlike the Mid Staffs hospital case.
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am in the middle of doing something with my headphones on the pc so only caught bits but what I did hear I got the impression that some of those involved still don't get it (the public reaction) and I was getting wound up. However, I think I need to see the whole documentary before I really judge but it is still an emotive subject so not sure some of them will come off any better now - no matter what they say :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that astounds me the most is that a pediatrician didn't notice his severe injuries just 2 days before he died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems really poor that only certain parts of the system were subjected to the full force of the outcry and press campaign when they made mistakes which were just as significant.

There is no way the police failings should have been ignored to the extent that they were.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    There was a hell of a lot of scapegoating in this case. As the woman on the docu said, all the small errors came together at the same time to cause disaster like a plane crash.

It always boils down to the same thing. Completely overworked staff working in dangerously understaffed and underfunded services with managers not listening to concerns from staff.

The way the press handled it was disgusting, pointing fingers at people and burning people at the stake before knowing the facts.

It fails children, their families and professionals all the time and it has to change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    There was a hell of a lot of scapegoating in this case. As the woman on the docu said, all the small errors came together at the same time to cause disaster like a plane crash.

It always boils down to the same thing. Completely overworked staff working in dangerously understaffed and underfunded services with managers not listening to concerns from staff.

Exactly.

As long as we keep chronically underfunding these services, awful things will keep happening.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot stand watching this program for the simple reason it has given Sharon Shoesmith & friends a chance to pretend they were somehow hard done by. Utterly shameless, revolting and frighteningly mentally delusional hearing them prattle on like they were the real victims. I cannot believe the BBC has given them a platform to do this.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cannot stand watching this program for the simple reason it has given Sharon Shoesmith & friends a chance to pretend they were somehow hard done by. Utterly shameless, revolting and frighteningly mentally delusional hearing them prattle on like they were the real victims. I cannot believe the BBC has given them a platform to do this.

..........I think youre missing the whole point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^indeed, are we supposed to feel sorry for them? There were faults in the system and others were also to blame (e.g. the police) but these people were paid good money to protect children like Peter and totally failed. I, for one, have no sympathy for them.
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as the professionals let him down and deserved legal action, the quotes of people saying they should bring back the death penalty or get them in a building and burn them is also sickening.

Disgusting attitude in my opinion.
  • Options
    muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Sharon Shoesmith comes across as quite uncaring, not taking any responsibility for her department's failings. Before tonight I actually thought that perhaps she was made a scapegoat but now I feel that she was incompetent.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you and everyone have been upset re this case, but it's best to:-

Have an open mind,
    Watch,
    Do not pre judge,
    View the truth,,

Don't believe everything printed before.

Is it OK that professional workers get death threats? Whatever they do? The daughter of a professional get a death threat? There are people with strong feelings yes, but we need the truth, and not be blinkered.

Again it's tragic what happened, but we need the truth, not scapegoats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looked it up and Sharon Shoesmith received £679,452 compensation for unfair dismissal, it would be laughable if it wasn't so tragic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    ^indeed, are we supposed to feel sorry for them? There were faults in the system and others were also to blame (e.g. the police) but these people were paid good money to protect children like Peter and totally failed. I, for one, have no sympathy for them.

But a lot of the professionals involved WERE made complete scapegoats. Many did everything they could and followed all procedures they should have done, but a few people and services did not act on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You have never made a mistake in your job ever?

I know its no excuse, but lets get real these things will have happened a lot before and will happen again.

Many of these professionals just cannot cope with their workload. They are not fit for the job, but also do not deserve death (maybe the parents do(maybe)) which some at the time wrote on BBC pages (as shown on the current documentary)
  • Options
    kaob82kaob82 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    So much media spin and rubbish in the press, shows how easy we can be manipulated by the press and how stories are reported.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The usual pass the buck show with everyone saying 'not my fault!'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    You have never made a mistake in your job ever?

I know its no excuse, but lets get real these things will have happened a lot before and will happen again.

Many of these professionals just cannot cope with their workload. They are not fit for the job, but also do not deserve death (maybe the parents do(maybe)) which some at the time wrote on BBC pages (as shown on the current documentary)

Of course I've made mistakes in my job but lives don't depend on my job. And in the case of Peter (I hate calling him Baby P as he had a name) many people made huge mistakes.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90 minutes of prime time airtime for a regional news story from nearly 10 years ago, suppose it is cheap though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Exactly.

As long as we keep chronically underfunding these services, awful things will keep happening.

Yep sadly so

Awful lot of people seem keen to not give anyone involved a voice to defend themselves.

Is that democracy right there? I mean everyone has a right to defend themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I find revolting is the bloodlust from people who have absolutely no idea about the pressures some people are expected to work under.

When people set out on a career in medicine or social work, do people really think they set out to allow the death of children? Really?

The social worker had a workload which was 50% higher than it should have been, the consultant worked in a clinic which was clearly unsafe and had resulted in another consultant going off on sick leave. She had been appointed when she was not really qualified and did not have enough experience. It now turns out that she probably did NOT miss a broken back - but hey, who cares? The capacity problems with the clinic meant that the social worker's referral was not acted upon for months.

So much easier to put the boot in to a few individuals that to admit that the system is completely unfit for purpose due to chronic under-funding.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    90 minutes of prime time airtime for a regional news story from nearly 10 years ago, suppose it is cheap though.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course I've made mistakes in my job but lives don't depend on my job. And in the case of Peter (I hate calling him Baby P as he had a name) many people made huge mistakes.

But how many lives do these same professionals save all the time?

Mistakes do happen in jobs like this, sometimes because of incompetence sometimes in spite of the highest level of professionalism. Peter was failed no one disputes that. But if you actually read the ins and outs a lot of professionals did their jobs well but were failed and then scapegoated by those above them. Take the chronic understaffing at St. Anns that professionals had continuously raised or the social worker who had constantly escalted her concerns.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaob82 wrote: »
    So much media spin and rubbish in the press, shows how easy we can be manipulated by the press and how stories are reported.

Fully agree.
    Evo102 wrote: »

This needs to be on TV it needs to be highlighted, they just put up 260 children more since Baby P,

it's not cheap, it costs a lot to put this programme together.

He Died 3 August 2007 (aged 1) and you say ten years ago, that's incorrect the same as the rest of your post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As someone said above, many over stretched workers raised issues that were ignored. The system failed more than any individuals.

and despite whatever individuals missed or should have done better, the ones to blame are actually the scum parents.

As the end of the programme stated, many are leaving or have left being social workers because of the stick they get for being as human as anyone else.

Doctors have peoples lives in there hands every day of every year and through the ages, many have made mistakes that cost lives. However they have probably saved 50.

Thinks are not perfect