Options

Corrie - Eastenders 'Copying' off each other?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
Forum Member
✭✭
I created a similar thread some time ago, but I then became less attached to both soaps.

I've already noticed that the Faye Windass storyline with her shipping her baby off to her biological father mirrors the storyline in Eastenders where Cindy Beale has her baby sent off to her biological dad's family.

Can anybody think of anything else recently that has been copied? It's clearly obvious that this isn't down to chance, so do you think one copies off the other, or it's purely mix and match? :-D

Comments

• Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about you think of more than just 1 before making a whole thread based on something you can't even have a reason to do so, do you know how far ahead stories are planned and I'm certain that no soap has the inside knowledge of what's being Anne's to even Nick any ideas, more to the point why would eastenders need to copie corrie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about you think of more than just 1 before making a whole thread based on something you can't even have a reason to do so, do you know how far ahead stories are planned and I'm certain that no soap has the inside knowledge of what's being Anne's to even Nick any ideas, more to the point why would eastenders need to copie corrie.

Haha, are you serious? How about you think before you reply?

Your reply is just too stupid to take seriously. It's been noted on here in the past that they've shown the same storylines. I think it's about time you realise this is not real life. It's made up - it's written - it is not real.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    There are no longer original storylines for soaps to use so they have no choice but to re use and copy ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scorpio2 wrote: »
    There are no longer original storylines for soaps to use so they have no choice but to re use and copy ones.

But where does that explain using them around the same time? Common sense (which certainly is not common) suggests these 2 story lines could be used easily 2-3 years apart.
  • Options
    Check it outCheck it out Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muchacho wrote: »
    But where does that explain using them around the same time? Common sense (which certainly is not common) suggests these 2 story lines could be used easily 2-3 years apart.

Yeah the Corrie team saw Beth sent away three weeks ago and thought "We should do that!" So they wrote new scripts, changed the story and filmed it. In three weeks. Full proof.

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the Corrie team saw Beth sent away three weeks ago and thought "We should do that!" So they wrote new scripts, changed the story and filmed it. In three weeks. Full proof.

Do me a favour.

I'll do you a favour. But only if you put brain into gear before replying.

Try again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll do you a favour. But only if you put brain into gear before replying.

Try again.

Okay, well why don't you tell us how you think they manage to copy each others storylines so closely? I'm all ears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, well why don't you tell us how you think they manage to copy each others storylines so closely? I'm all ears.

Ahh! We now have the "I have no common sense whatsoever, so I'll cause a change of direction, because I'm dumb"....

You think it's a coincidence that all these incidences have happened around the same time over the years?

If you know ANYTHING about soaps you'll know these things often happen around the same time.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the miley storyline is over

however EE are now doing a depression storyline following on from corries with steve

maybe the producers need to stop talking to each other

not so long since ee and ed had pill popping stories at the same time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    I don't think the miley storyline is over

however EE are now doing a depression storyline following on from corries with steve

maybe the producers need to stop talking to each other

not so long since ee and ed had pill popping stories at the same time

So do you agree with my theory that some storylines are 'copied' from each other? I don't suggest of course a spying mission, just a copy of scripts along the way.
  • Options
    Wong_BillabongWong_Billabong Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So do you agree with my theory that some storylines are 'copied' from each other? I don't suggest of course a spying mission, just a copy of scripts along the way.

They plan stories up to 12 months in advance. I know people who witj at emmerdale and I knew Katie's death from jan last year. It's not as easy as just copying scripts
  • Options
    eastendersboieastendersboi Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, are you serious? How about you think before you reply?

Your reply is just too stupid to take seriously. It's been noted on here in the past that they've shown the same storylines. I think it's about time you realise this is not real life. It's made up - it's written - it is not real.

Well your the one who made a thread of it so you need to ask yourself that, all soaps at some point have similar storylines it's all a coincidence but you won't believe that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh! We now have the "I have no common sense whatsoever, so I'll cause a change of direction, because I'm dumb"....

You think it's a coincidence that all these incidences have happened around the same time over the years?

If you know ANYTHING about soaps you'll know these things often happen around the same time.

How could they possibly copy storylines that are on screen three weeks apart? You are totally avoiding my question. I'd like to hear how you think they manage that. No change of direction at all actually. I stand by my point that your theory is ridiculous.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think people talk within the industry and ideas get shared plus there are only so many stories to tell really

think its less copying and more loose talk and limited imaginations
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The story lines are planned 6-8 months in advance, I doubt there is any copying going on.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE wouldn't exist without Corrie, adam woodyatt said so himself.

Compare the characters, Ian Beale, long term character, numerous partners and children...Ken Barlow.

Bet lynch and Peggy Mitchell, the skaters and the battersbys - both arrived to stir things up, currently only Kat and Leanne remain, both have mellowed but show glimpses of their past characters.

There was a children in need spoof a few years ago, which pointed this out! I don't watch EE these days so I can't comment on current castings, but there will always be copycat/similar characters. Like the formula/right mix of people to create "dramatic entertainment"
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Eastenders blatantly copies old soap stories. The New Year's Day Ronnie and Emma
    Story was an exact rehash on the Chloe and Martha episode on Home and Away years previously. The minute Emma wasn't feeling well
    I knew it would happen. There was even a thread about it on here at the time
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=BadRomance;78717068]Eastenders blatantly copies old soap stories. The New Year's Day Ronnie and Emma
    Story was an exact rehash on the Chloe and Martha episode on Home and Away years previously. The minute Emma wasn't feeling well
    I knew it would happen. There was even a thread about it on here at the time[/QUOTE]

Lmao, yeah the EE team sit through old soap episodes on YouTube daily, just to 'copy' :D
  • Options
    Chloe_BeadsChloe_Beads Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    May contain spoilers and can't tag on my phone so please don't read if you don't want a spoiler..

Yes I do think they copy ...

Baby goes off to biological father cs copy ee

Steve male depression story ee copy cs

Stray dog found and kept to help some one feeling low ee Abi and scamp and cs Steve and doggie

To name just a couple in the last few months more will come to me I'm sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As a continuation all the soaps do it with in 12/ months at the max again may contain spoilers

Sarah sugdan cancer storyline .... Cs to have a child cancer story line in the summer

Ben Mitchell living with a girl and chasing after men ... Robert sugdan living with a lady chasing after men ... Both have killed people almost by accident and lashing out

Ee also rehash there own dirty den alive and well after been dead for years and now kathy alive and well after been dead for years ... And both stories will involve Sharon and Ian .... again

And it is possible we know what's happening in soaps up to 4 weeks In advance from spoilers and more from the press release that producers do if you choose to read them and all the producers will read what's happening in rival shows as they want the viewers so yes they can copy and yes filmed well in advance but we have seen many times in soap that things can be thrown in last minute eg a royal baby scene or a reference to real world events so yes they can be changed and edited in easily with 4 weeks plus from spoilers been published... There are sooooo many stories that all run very close to each other and big stories that are never more than 18months apart...
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May contain spoilers and can't tag on my phone so please don't read if you don't want a spoiler..

Yes I do think they copy ...

Baby goes off to biological father cs copy ee

Steve male depression story ee copy cs

Stray dog found and kept to help some one feeling low ee Abi and scamp and cs Steve and doggie

To name just a couple in the last few months more will come to me I'm sure

They really don't
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    I created a similar thread some time ago, but I then became less attached to both soaps.

I've already noticed that the Faye Windass storyline with her shipping her baby off to her biological father mirrors the storyline in Eastenders where Cindy Beale has her baby sent off to her biological dad's family.

Can anybody think of anything else recently that has been copied? It's clearly obvious that this isn't down to chance, so do you think one copies off the other, or it's purely mix and match? :-D

Theres a bit of whatever you can do we can do better mindset across the soaps. For instance the live episodes, corrie did one first so the other soaps tried to out do it. Then you have the baby swap plots. Eastenders definetely tried to outdo emmereale and corrie but they made it too sensational so it backfired.

However, minor instances such as characters getting dogs and getting the dad to look after a baby will just be a coincidence rather than stealing plots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its not the getting a dog tho it's the story that sourrounds it that are more than coincidence ... Abi feels low and inferior to Lauren and goes off the rails and finds a dog and takes it in and looks after it and it helps her and she grows attached

Steve has depression and feels low and inadequate and the rest is written above ...

It's not oooo shall we get a family pet!
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronation Street. brought in Linda, a long-lost mother who re-appeared about 20 years later and expected her children to love her, and her husband to take her back. Emmerdale brought in Emma, a long-lost mother who re-appeared about 20 years later and expected her children to love her and her husband to take her back. Copy cat?
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Perhaps there is a big book of 1001 script ideas floating about the studios, hehe!