BBC1 - Esio Trot - 18.30-20.00

Comments

• Susie246Susie246 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this, especially the two leads. Agree that the narration was overdone but the thing that grated for me was Judi Dench's accent, which was her usual posh precise diction with the odd cod Northern bit shoehorned in. Just didn't sound right.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually didn't mind Corden despite thinking oh god its him at the beginning. His softly spoken narrative suited it well I thought.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

In future, instead of tweeting or writing posts during transmission of a programme, pay attention to details in the credits. They're there for a reason!

Not always easy as they move too fast! Nearly didn't watch it because the trailer was awful. I'm glad I did.
  • who me?who me? Posts: 17,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually didn't mind Corden despite thinking oh god its him at the beginning. His softly spoken narrative suited it well I thought.

I wasn't too keen when I saw James Corden either but likewise I really thought it worked with the narration. I liked the part especially on the bus when he was telling us the story and the other passengers wanted to know how it turned out.
    It was enchanting beginning to end.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.

I haven't read the book (or any others by that author) but would interested to hear from those who have whether there were 100 tortoises in it? Given that Mr Hoppy only needed a few (12 at most?) using all of his savings in the tin seemed completely unnecessary.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it.

I haven't read the book (or any others by that author) but would interested to hear from those who have whether there were 100 tortoises in it? Given that Mr Hoppy only needed a few (12 at most?) using all of his savings in the tin seemed completely unnecessary.

I did find it odd having that many but I think he was a perfectionist and wanted to get the swap just right.

I loved how the money saved went from a Canadian fishing trip to bait :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Delightful film almost ruined by a ghastly idiotic narrator.
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like James Corden and thought he did a good job narrating, also liked the style of how it was done, was very touching and kept me interested all the way through.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it having never heard of the Dahl book, and enjoyed it very much. As Judi was born and brought up in York, she would have had no trouble returning to her northern accent - it was nice to hear it as a change from her usual way of speaking. I thought the story was very sweet, and I enjoyed the ghastly boring neighbour - very funny, especially the scene when he called round with Alfie and poor Mrs. Silver realised she'd been tricked.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it.

A while since I read the book but I seem to remember there were around that purchased.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not watched this yet, but looking forward to it despite that irritating fat Corden bloke who I can't stand.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it.

I think having so many tortoises was just for visual effect.
    Twelve tortoises wouldn't have the same visual impact of having absolutely loads of tortoises all over the kitchen.
    I think it's entirely due to television being a visual medium, and therefore the language used to tell the story will be more visually based than a book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think having so many tortoises was just for visual effect.
    Twelve tortoises wouldn't have the same visual impact of having absolutely loads of tortoises all over the kitchen.
    I think it's entirely due to television being a visual medium, and therefore the language used to tell the story will be more visually based than a book.

No he visited many pet shops in the book and bought loads.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a nice show, I'm in the minority who actually like James corden I think, it had two great actors in it too so wS never going to be unwatchable in my eyes
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    The Radio Times did say it was spread out from the book as thin as a fairy's wings. But enjoyable even so and 30 minutes would have done it.

I enjoyed it anyway, Cordon doesn't bother me, well I don't watch him oh apart from when he was in Doctor Who twice.

To be fair, the children were more annoying.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that, a nice feel good story that was easy to watch with two top class actors. More of the same please BBC!
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed this. I just don't understand why James Corden had to be shoe horned in, seemed totally unnecessary and just took away from it.
  • Susie246Susie246 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Watched it having never heard of the Dahl book, and enjoyed it very much. As Judi was born and brought up in York, she would have had no trouble returning to her northern accent - it was nice to hear it as a change from her usual way of speaking. I thought the story was very sweet, and I enjoyed the ghastly boring neighbour - very funny, especially the scene when he called round with Alfie and poor Mrs. Silver realised she'd been tricked.

Well I live in York and can only repeat that her accent was just a weird mixture which didn't sound right.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Susie246 wrote: »
    Well I live in York and can only repeat that her accent was just a weird mixture which didn't sound right.

I assume this was an American co-production so maybe it's to appeal to them?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Okay, thanks. I didn't know.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ... I believe he only bought eight! But I can see why they went for more ... eight would hardly be noticeable. Actually Mrs Silver was upset when Alfie couldn't get in his tortoise house and Mr Hoppy gave her some magic words to make him smaller again. He then chose one of the smaller tortoises and swapped it. In the book Mr Hoppy's secret is never revealed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    No ... I believe he only bought eight! But I can see why they went for more ... eight would hardly be noticeable. Actually Mrs Silver was upset when Alfie couldn't get in his tortoise house and Mr Hoppy gave her some magic words to make him smaller again. He then chose one of the smaller tortoises and swapped it. In the book Mr Hoppy's secret is never revealed.

I know his secret wasn't revealed but he definitely bought more than 8. For a start he had to try 2 different tortoises when getting a slightly smaller one and the book reviews all say he bought 140.
  • daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know his secret wasn't revealed but he definitely bought more than 8. For a start he had to try 2 different tortoises when getting a slightly smaller one and the book reviews all say he bought 140.
    I stand corrected then .. possibly he only used eight as swaps and that's why it stuck in my head. Anyway, my apologies. I really ought to re-read it :)
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excess and surreal are all part of Dahl as a storyteller, so i would expect both here.
    Thousands of tortoises...but only one that matters! Thats part of the charm.
    The sweetness would be Curtis.
    Its an interesting mix of Dahl/Curtis...as its an interesting mix of Dench/Hoffman.
    Judi Dench is from Yorkshire and well acquainted with regional accents. She did soft Northern Irish in Philomena too.

Love the magical final camera shots on the balcony.
    A drama full of hope, and an apt choice to start the new year.
    Id love to see them all do another....

Overnight Ratings were good at 6.47 million. Thats "Call the Midwife" levels.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The look on his face when she said "Is there anything I can do for you" was priceless, comic timing.