Options

Mel Giedroyc the new Sarah Millican. grrr

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    When ever I have seen her, Mel seems ok. There are plenty worse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    well the OP was carping about two women to be accurate. I guess if the haters are giving Mel a kicking they're at least leaving Sarah Millican alone for a while. There is a real whiff of woman-hating about these crusades on DS against female comedians (Jo Brand is another that gets them foaming at the mouth with rage in these forums).

Well, quite a lot of them are quite dislikable characters. I don't like Millican, because she was incredibly rude to me once on Twitter, so I sort of went off of her. Afterwards, when I hear her, I just think about her incredibly harsh comment to me online. Let's just say, that if you're someone who works in the public light, what you do and say to the public, shapes their opinion of you and your work, regardless of your gender.

Other than that, she's just really all potty jokes. It seems to be a real thing with British comedians actually. It's all basically telling jokes about farting, or some other rot. It's childish jokes, which is great, if that's your thing, but it's not for everyone.

Mel, I quite like. I like to see her on more panel shows. But, Mel & Sue, well they just seem to end up trying to speak over each other a lot. It's annoying for me. If there's too much going on at the same time, I end up either not being able to hear what's going on, or I get impatient and just give up. But that's me. Congratulations that you're willing to support whatever show is on, just based upon the fact that the people presenting it are women, but frankly, for me, a vagina doesn't give you a pass from criticism.

As for Jo Brand, her hardline feminist attitude or being anti-men, really turns me off. It would turn me off as much as a male comedian who is hard line anti woman. I have zero patience for sexism, regardless of the gender of the perpetrator.

Now, Watson & Oliver, and French & Saunders, those are just four women who I want to see more of. I understand that French & Saunders probably want to take a break after decades of success, but I'm a little disappointed that Watson & Oliver haven't been back for a third season as yet. It must be difficult to come up with new material however.

Sue Perkins, I don't mind. I'm a little lukewarm on her, but much of her stuff is incredible. I remember I was in fits of laughter at her rather dry humour, the first time I ever saw her on TV on The Good Life. There are many really talented women in television, all over the world, but particularly in Britain. But your assertion that just because a few get criticised that there is somehow some sort of DS woman hating going on, is utterly ridiculous. It couldn't, rather be further from the truth.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel is o.k but I prefer Sue, especially when she's on QI. She's good on that, unlike Millican and Brand who are their usual boring man hating personas. Those two need to change the record.
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that if you worry too much about someone being on the TV all the time, you don't have much else to worry about do you?
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiperson wrote: »
    I think that if you worry too much about someone being on the TV all the time, you don't have much else to worry about do you?

Sometimes "worrying" about trivial things takes ones mind off bigger things.
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Still haven't seen the lovely Giedroyc on my screen. I even turned Bake Off on thinking it was a guaranteed sighting, but to my dismay Sue was going solo. This may be a small thing but it worries me. On the up side I haven't seen Millican once.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, Watson & Oliver, and French & Saunders, those are just four women who I want to see more of. I understand that French & Saunders probably want to take a break after decades of success, but I'm a little disappointed that Watson & Oliver haven't been back for a third season as yet. It must be difficult to come up with new material however.
    I agree. I'd like to see more of Watson & Oliver too. I loved their parody of The Killing. They seem to be doing Malteser ads at the moment. Same with French & Saunders. Their old shows are still funny proving that female comedians don't need to base their act around potty jokes and hating men.

As for Mel, I like her. I find her funnier than Sue and she has a lovely voice (unlike Millican).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    If I had to, I'd rather be stuck in a lift with Giedroyc over Millican. I used to watch the old light lunch back in the day and it wasn't a bad show. At least Mel has a brain and hasn't made an entire bloody career about talking about her minge. How anyone finds Millican amusing is beyond me. I think if women of her ilk had known there was a demand for acting like the stereotypical stupid geordie woman, that the stand up circuit would have been flooded years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Ant and Mel I don't suppose Millican will get much voice-over work, her voice is monotone and irritatingly pitched a semi-tone higher than it needs to be.
  • Options
    Par6Par6 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Talking of voices, why does Mel g talk in that fake whisper voice?
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't watch their daytime show, but always liked Mel and Sue. Mel gets extra points for being in Sorry, I've Got No Head. Particularly liked her and Marcus Brigstock as ever optimistic auditionees who completely eff up every time.

What do you mean, that was a kids show? :blush::)

(It was the Noughties Do Not Adjust Your Set, better than most 'adult' sketch shows IMO)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of the sight of her too. It happens all the time ..... Chrstine Bleakley, Sarah Millican, Davina McCall, Miranda Hart ..... They just don't know when to stop. It is SO boring.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She and Sue can both do one, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't mind Light Lunch all those years ago. But they're both absolutely insufferable these days. The schtick has got old.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Ant and Mel I don't suppose Millican will get much voice-over work, her voice is monotone and irritatingly pitched a semi-tone higher than it needs to be.
    Yes, it's so annoying that everything about Sarah Millican is deliberately designed to upset people. It must have taken years to work out exactly which pitch was the most annoying.

Or maybe that's just her natural voice? Women do tend to have higher pitched voices than men.
    cribside wrote: »
    If I had to, I'd rather be stuck in a lift with Giedroyc over Millican. I used to watch the old light lunch back in the day and it wasn't a bad show. At least Mel has a brain and hasn't made an entire bloody career about talking about her minge. How anyone finds Millican amusing is beyond me. I think if women of her ilk had known there was a demand for acting like the stereotypical stupid geordie woman, that the stand up circuit would have been flooded years ago.
    Well, I find Millican funny. Not because she puts on a stupid woman act, nor because it's a stupid geordie woman act either. It's because her material and delivery is funny, simple as that. She's discovered that a woman being crude in very a matter of fact way is funny. That's bound to include some minge references, but that's only fair. Male comedians have been doing knob gags for centuries.

Mel is I'm sure a very nice person, but she's made a career out of Sue Perkins being very funny.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Yes, it's so annoying that everything about Sarah Millican is deliberately designed to upset people. It must have taken years to work out exactly which pitch was the most annoying.

Or maybe that's just her natural voice? Women do tend to have higher pitched voices than men.

Well, I find Millican funny. Not because she puts on a stupid woman act, nor because it's a stupid geordie woman act either. It's because her material and delivery is funny, simple as that. She's discovered that a woman being crude in very a matter of fact way is funny. That's bound to include some minge references, but that's only fair. Male comedians have been doing knob gags for centuries.

Mel is I'm sure a very nice person, but she's made a career out of Sue Perkins being very funny.

Well we'll never know if that's true. I don't find Sue that funny but I've been a Mel fan for years. Mel has a much more relaxing voice which is why she gets so much more voice over work. She has done Musicals, sitcoms, all sorts. Yes she may not have been on our screens but she has talent. If Mel had presented Bake Off by herself the show might have been as big a success, maybe bigger. We'll never know.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Well we'll never know if that's true. I don't find Sue that funny but I've been a Mel fan for years. Mel has a much more relaxing voice which is why she gets so much more voice over work. She has done Musicals, sitcoms, all sorts. Yes she may not have been on our screens but she has talent. If Mel had presented Bake Off by herself the show might have been as big a success, maybe bigger. We'll never know.
    I think we have a very good idea. Mel hasn't done anywhere near so much solo work on TV as Sue has. It's really hard to credit the idea she might have done GBBO on her own. Sue on her own possibly.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    She knew when Mel & Sue was to be aired as it's live, Bake Off would be in the calendar and 'The Gift' has been 2 years in making so they'd have a air date known sometime ago, she must have known about her appearance on Radio 4 Xtra as it was review of last weeks programmes.
    Yes .. how dare she want to be on everything. As a TV presenter/comedian .. she should be doing her best NOT to be on our screens.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I think we have a very good idea. Mel hasn't done anywhere near so much solo work on TV as Sue has. It's really hard to credit the idea she might have done GBBO on her own. Sue on her own possibly.

She easily could do it on her own and has done on several occasions.

Don't forget Mel has had two children in the intervening years.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she keeps Sarah Millican off our screens, I'm happy.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Par6 wrote: »
    Talking of voices, why does Mel g talk in that fake whisper voice?

It's the type of voice people have when they're talking to a small child and putting them to bed.
    Which may be great for children's television where the viewers are small children. When you're an adult she just sounds constantly patronising all the time.