Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Just had a reply from EE

Probably wrong but hey, well done for getting us something!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrgs1 wrote: »
    ANOB still well protected here, I was looking at a planning app by cornerstone to upgrade an exsisting mast in my town, lots of objections, there had to be a report from English nature, The National trust because of a Roman fort a mile away! Archaeology report, civil aviation and no school or college in the near vicinity took months.

All the ones down here have English Nature reports but they all acknowledge the need and the fact that Arqiva are bending over backwards to get them in the right place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparky93 wrote: »
    Devons link is missing a 01 from the url, hence its failed.
    Correct link is http://ee.co.uk/our-company/newsroom/2015/03/01/ee-to-offer-the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-galaxy-s6-edge-with-wifi-c

I think ee cocked url up, and corrected it, after D's posting.

Thanks mate. It may have just been too much Chardonnay on my part though!
    :)
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Can I have 2 guesses?
    It's either 10 or 28.2 million! Haha

Seriously? I'll go for 30% so 8ish million.

I'm closest so far!!

3.3 million.....

That's right. Only 3.3 million subscribers have a compatible VoLTE phone supported by Docomo with the correct firmware despite 28.3m total subscribers having a 4G phone (some with VoLTE as well but not supported).

As of December 31st, NTT Docomo only supported 13 LTE smartphones with VoLTE.

Even in the USA there are only a very limited number of smartphones to get VoLTE from the networks.

Same will happen here in the UK to start off with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Looks like mid Cornwall has had a good going over (and as with 3G, the exact "square" my house is in has no 4G officially but other parts of the village do).

I still only get 1 bar of 4G, so I'm guessing that the site outside my village hasn't had an upgrade yet

Devon might be pleased that it seems to have hit St. Austell though

Yeah they haven't quite done the mast in the Eden project though have they.
    Yelverton up to Tavistock now filled in. More up near Crediton too.
    The Brockhills mast at Harbertonford is now showing although it's totally inaccurate.
    The map shows the village covered which it isn't. Either side, yes.
    They have yet to turn on the Arqiva TV relay mast right in the village.
    This one.
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.390537,-3.715908,3a,75y,284.87h,94.99t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgk6rbUVlc2ygDywmON0g1g!2e0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    3.3 million.....

That's right. Only 3.3 million subscribers have a compatible VoLTE phone supported by Docomo with the correct firmware despite 28.3m total subscribers having a 4G phone (some with VoLTE as well but not supported).

As of December 31st, NTT Docomo only supported 13 LTE smartphones with VoLTE.

Even in the USA there are only a very limited number of smartphones to get VoLTE from the networks.

Same will happen here in the UK to start off with.

Bugger! That's mental isn't it.
    So that's 12% of users!!!
    Amazing.
    Well, all I can say, is that I'm glad that I bought an iPhone 6 from EE! :)
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys,

May be of interest to some. I've been having problems with my new phone (Yota 2) since I got it. In some low 4G signal areas (as my home is, bloody transmitter in the garden still not LTE enabed, despite being upgraded and brought into MBNL over a year ago), my phone would sit on H then flick to "emergency only" for a second, while it tried to connect to LTE and then drop back to H. This was annoying as it did it a few times a minute and caused me to miss calls.

Outdoors, it seemed to connect to LTE fine. I thought this was a bug with the radio chipset - however, when I discovered I could not send MMS, I checked the APN settings, which were all the old t-mobile ones (this must have been by default). Mobile data had been working fine.

When I changed them to the EE ones, the LTE problem went away, and it now sits on LTE indoors. Oddness, but in case anyone else on Android has problems connecting to LTE, check the APN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My Mast on 2G all day again today.
    Just when I needed the 3G upgrading 2 business PCs.
    Hey ho!
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Loads of planning applications for the London borough of Bexley to upgrade sites to support EE 800/1800/2600 MHz 4G and 3 800/1800 4G. I noticed there using remote radio heads for the 2600 side as I guess there limited for space in the Huawei cabs?

I know someone posted that 800 MHz was live on 3. Does anybody know if its up and running on EE?
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Loads of planning applications for the London borough of Bexley to upgrade sites to support EE 800/1800/2600 MHz 4G and 3 800/1800 4G. I noticed there using remote radio heads for the 2600 side as I guess there limited for space in the Huawei cabs?

I know someone posted that 800 MHz was live on 3. Does anybody know if its up and running on EE?

Supposed to be. I'm yet to see it, so may still be in testing phase.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    My Mast on 2G all day again today.
    Just when I needed the 3G upgrading 2 business PCs.
    Hey ho!

Devonbloke - A bit off-topic but thought it might help you:
    Get an old laptop or VMWare player and install Windows Server 2003 on it. Then install ISA Server 2004 or 2006 which are both easy to get hold of. ISA server acts as a proxy and a Windows update cache (set the cache size to be large).
    When you're with a customer you can change the proxy server in their IE temporarily to the IP of the virtual machine, which will be allocated by DHCP by the customers router. The customers machine will check for updates through the proxy, and if an already cached update is requested it will be pulled from the cache. It's lightning fast ;-)
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    steffangl wrote: »
    Get an old laptop or VMWare player and install Windows Server 2003 on it. Then install ISA Server 2004 or 2006 which are both easy to get hold of. ISA server acts as a proxy and a Windows update cache (set the cache size to be large).
    When you're with a customer you can change the proxy server in their IE temporarily to the IP of the virtual machine, which will be allocated by DHCP by the customers router. The customers machine will check for updates through the proxy, and if an already cached update is requested it will be pulled from the cache. It's lightning fast ;-)

If you've got windows server just install wsus!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    de525ma wrote: »
    Oh and fix Udny Green. Please. Put the 2G back on. Anything.

OMG it's finally fixed. The 2G has returned.

Locals say it was due to a Wind Turbine being constructed which was "blocking" the signal from Newmachar, which is some distance away.

How could this be the case? Unless it was plonked right in the path of a microwave link?
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    OMG it's finally fixed. The 2G has returned.

Locals say it was due to a Wind Turbine being constructed which was "blocking" the signal from Newmachar, which is some distance away.

How could this be the case? Unless it was plonked right in the path of a microwave link?

Glad it's back on.. Coverage the same as before?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steffangl wrote: »
    jchamier wrote: »
    If you've got windows server just install wsus!

Thanks guys. Yeah it's mainly when the PCs are on the workbench.
    I was aware about using a server OS to cache the updates but hadn't really got round to setting up an old PC to do it. I also had forgotten about it.
    So thanks for reminding me. I might just get round to it now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At a customer today who is fairly remote and I suddenly have a better usable signal.
    No more masts have gone up but the last time I was there I had to go outside to make a call but today I had a strong EDGE signal and I could put the phone up high in the office and use my hotspot to update their PCs on a 1-2 bar 3G signal.
    Not possible last year.
    I know which EDGE mast this is. It's the one I mentioned the other day that the new MIP mast is going to connect to. Would it be likely they would upgrade the antenna before integrating the mast into MBNL does anyone know?
    I'm figuring that the combination of my iPhone 6s better antenna and perhaps a mast antenna upgrade has done this?
    It wasn't just a bit either, it was markedly stronger. In fact the guy there was surprised I was making a call indoors (as he is on O2 "because nothing else works here").
    Mind you when I was pulling in 8meg 3G (and they only have 1meg adsl 1 there) he couldn't quite believe it.
    I explained about 800Mhz, VoLTE etc etc and I think he is now about to change networks and upgrade his 5s! Haha
    He will be in line of sight of the MIP mast when/if it goes up.
    Oh wait, that means he will have O2 3G/4G then I guess!
  • Options
    sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    when the one by me, was 4g,ed it also became Edge too, fromgprs. and yup, makes a diference froma no call, to a call lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah but this one has been EDGE (Orange) from 1996.
    I was wondering (and it's probably been asked before) if they were likely to upgrade the antennas before doing all the integration stuff.
    The last time I was at this customer I had to go outside and my phone just hung on to the signal. Today I had EDGE indoors, 2 bars and could walk around on a call.
    As I say, I know this one is staying on as it is going to feed the new MIP mast via Microwave.
    I have a children free weekend so I might walk up the bridle path and have a look on Saturday.
    I just missed out on a Canon 350D with extra 90-300 lens on eBay yesterday.
    I'm gonna get serious with this mast photography I think!
    Hahaha
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    What method are you going for, the classic integral with respect to x?
  • Options
    sparky93sparky93 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Yeah but this one has been EDGE (Orange) from 1996.
    I was wondering (and it's probably been asked before) if they were likely to upgrade the antennas before doing all the integration stuff.
    The last time I was at this customer I had to go outside and my phone just hung on to the signal. Today I had EDGE indoors, 2 bars and could walk around on a call.
    As I say, I know this one is staying on as it is going to feed the new MIP mast via Microwave.
    I have a children free weekend so I might walk up the bridle path and have a look on Saturday.
    I just missed out on a Canon 350D with extra 90-300 lens on eBay yesterday.
    I'm gonna get serious with this mast photography I think!
    Hahaha
    I like masting too, just useing a typical compact samsung st200 camera, 12x optical zoom, does me ok :-) can see how the sites change with age as old gets replaced with new....
    edge kit, replaced with better, maybe tx power turned up a bit too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it's back on.. Coverage the same as before?

Yup... good old GPRS. It's a damn sight better than nothing.

Can't believe it's that strong if it comes from the old Orange site just north of Newmachar...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    What method are you going for, the classic integral with respect to x?

I'm sorry... but er what????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sparky93 wrote: »
    I like masting too, just useing a typical compact samsung st200 camera, 12x optical zoom, does me ok :-) can see how the sites change with age as old gets replaced with new....
    edge kit, replaced with better, maybe tx power turned up a bit too.

No one understands me. Does anyone understand you?
    It's them isn't it?
    We're normal, they're all mad??
    I guess it's a fine line between train spotting and mast photography but I think we have the EDGE!
    Oh god, I'm on fire tonight!!
    Hahahahaha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yup... good old GPRS. It's a damn sight better than nothing.

Can't believe it's that strong if it comes from the old Orange site just north of Newmachar...

Unless I want to make a call, I'll settle for nothing!!!
    I will now go and get my coat.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted last week about EE/3 through the MBNL arrangement. Upgrading a couple of masts near my office in Market Harborough at that point they installed the new cabinets including a Dorset style for EE which i am now told is just for 2&3G and a Samsung for 3.

I noticed on Tuesday morning on the way to work that the engineers were back on site-and around 11am until 17:00 everybody in the offices phones on EE &3 showed signal but you could not make outbound calls,texts or use Internet .

We were all hoping that 4G would appear when they connected all back up but disappointingly that did not happen even with the new equipment still sub 1mb speeds I am a little surprised that the new equipment Seems to have made no difference at all to coverage or speed.
This discussion has been closed.