Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• DableyDabley Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyable episode. Rachel Riley really does get lovelier every day! Bob was amiably surreal and bantered well with Skinner, and his hate of cashiers giving you your change with coins heaped on top of the banknote and receipt was spot on. Can't abide Mrs Brown's Boys, but thought that Brendan came across well as himself.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed last night episode.

Bobs always great value and Brendan just avoided being annoying, I though they bantered well.

Rachel was a bit of a spare part IMO, nothing more than eye candy. I though the episode was like a boys night out and Rachel didn't quite fit in.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »

Bobs always great value and Brendan just avoided being annoying, I though they bantered well.

Rachel was a bit of a spare part IMO, nothing more than eye candy. I though the episode was like a boys night out and Rachel didn't quite fit in.

You thought Brendan avoided being annoying??!?

I thought he was awful. Turned every story around to a mention of how famous he was and how successful Mrs Brown's Boys was. I thought Rachel was clearly a fan of that muck, the way she laughed vigorously at everything he said but Frank and Bob seemed to be gritting their teeth and doing well to stay polite at having to share the stage with that imposter almost from the outset.
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »

Only just 😊
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought he was awful. Turned every story around to a mention of how famous he was and how successful Mrs Brown's Boys was. I thought Rachel was clearly a fan of that muck, the way she laughed vigorously at everything he said but Frank and Bob seemed to be gritting their teeth and doing well to stay polite at having to share the stage with that imposter almost from the outset.

You've made your feelings quite clear, and annoyed a lot of people along the way, on the MBB thread.

Millions continue to disagree with you.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So a lot like 8ootc does Countdown.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fun episode I thought; everyone contributed okay and there seemed to be a nice rapport with the four of them. I'd be perfectly happy if the BBC gave Bob Mortimer his own channel and he just did everything, including the news and the weather, Question Time...whatever he wants! (bit of a fan.)

Edit: Bob's Broadcasting Corporation?
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Brendan O'Carroll is beyond cretinous.

I have never seen him wear his glasses over his eyes. Only ever on the forehead.
  • lybertynelybertyne Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sportfreunde Stiller
    Juli
    Wir Sind Helden
    Die Ärzte
    Silbermond
    Clueso
    Virginia Jetzt!
    Bosse
    Klee
    Luxuslärm

There's nothing wrong with German music :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Same thoughts as you on last night's show

Is it just me or does Riley really have to struggle to come across as having any sort of a personality?
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Watched the last two episodes, still suffering from it's usual problems IMO.
    Too much of Frank's cutaway jokes, not enough banter, poor editing.
    Can't say I've seen any of this covering food in bacon thing, that Bob Mortimer came up with, food fad that's passed me by.
    Thought last weeks with Coren and Davis was the funnier episode.
    No problem with Brendon either.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Is it just me or does Riley really have to struggle to come across as having any sort of a personality?

She comes across as very nice but when she appears alongside bigger/louder characters like Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock, Frank Skinner etc she seems to get a bit lost.

She seems to be well on her way to cornering the market in 'non-comedian on comedy panel show' roles.
    Forum Member
    She comes across as very nice but when she appears alongside bigger/louder characters like Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock, Frank Skinner etc she seems to get a bit lost.

She seems to be well on her way to cornering the market in 'non-comedian on comedy panel show' roles.
    She didn't say much when she appeared on WILTY either.

Susie Dent seems to handle Cats does Countdown pretty well. On some occasions you can see she is uncomfortable with some of the humour but gets on with it and has some good lines herself.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Cornering the market, what shows has she been on?
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The smug Skinner is looking more like a Thunderbirds puppet with every passing week.

His reasons for not putting items in are usually weak - like low slung jeans, jailbird style because "people used to criticise us for wearing flares."
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    I much preferred the original format with Paul Merton and one guest. I find Frank Skinner (and David Walliams) impossible to watch. I think there's something deeply unsavoury about both of them, so .... Room 101 not on my list of things to watch, whoever the guest.
    I detect a whiff of snobbery
    Brendan O'Carroll is beyond cretinous.
    He gave the impression of trying to take over.
    degsyhufc wrote: »

I thought she was lovely. :)
    Jefferson wrote: »
    The smug Skinner is looking more like a Thunderbirds puppet with every passing week.

His reasons for not putting items in are usually weak - like low slung jeans, jailbird style because "people used to criticise us for wearing flares."
    Frank is not smug and he is obliged to say something when he rejects perfectly reasonable choices
    Forum Member
    Thought it was a bit of a flat episode last night. They usually need a comedian or someone funny on to link things up.

Des tries to be and I suppose Chiles does also but they're not very good at it.
    Jamil was just annoying and embarrassing in trying to be funny and popular. I hope that isn't her natural state. If it isn't then she shouldn't try so hard and she'll probably come across as more likeable.
  • HildasMurielHildasMuriel Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I felt a bit sad watching Des - it looks like time has finally caught up with him and I'm not sure he was 100% following all that was being said.
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    I much preferred the original format with Paul Merton and one guest. I find Frank Skinner (and David Walliams) impossible to watch. I think there's something deeply unsavoury about both of them, so .... Room 101 not on my list of things to watch, whoever the guest.

The original series was presented by Nick Hancock, with one guest, followed by Paul Merton presenting with the same format.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Probably due to the peculiar make-up. ;-)
  • Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    before you all start YES I've dragged up a thread from 03/15, however if I'd started a new one folk would probably have pointed me to this one ;-)

anyways just wanted to say I'm very disappointed to see they've done away with the hatch opening and the real life model (relating to the panel members choice) popping up. They've now got a screen beside each person that shows the choice appear / disappear down one of those air/vacuum chute things.

I work in IT but come on ... does EVERYTHING need to be electronic :(
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The orignal Nick Hancock converyer belt version gave a more realistic feel to what you could believe was a real room. The electronic screen is better than the hatch. David Tennant's issues with a South African accent was hilarious.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the music they played over scooter tricks boy?
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    before you all start YES I've dragged up a thread from 03/15, however if I'd started a new one folk would probably have pointed me to this one ;-)

anyways just wanted to say I'm very disappointed to see they've done away with the hatch opening and the real life model (relating to the panel members choice) popping up. They've now got a screen beside each person that shows the choice appear / disappear down one of those air/vacuum chute things.

Yes, I agree, I'm going to miss all the little Action Man versions of Frank :)

They seem to have scrapped the "categories" too.
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I'm sad the crap models have gone

But David T's South African accent descending into Dudley was hysterical