Prompts for Windows 8.1..........

SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
Forum Member
I keep getting annoying prompts to upgrade to Windows 8.1. Is it worth allowing the upgrade or not? Have heard some scare stories about it causing problems................

Can I turn off the prompts? I just keep putting it off. for now.............

Comments

• Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO Windows 8.1 is stable now. It's been out for a while now so any issues should have been ironed out. I upgraded a while back on a desktop and laptop and have had no problems myself

So I say just update. If you are really worried backup first with something like Acronis
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I have been running it without issue for a while. You can turn off Windows update you can even turn off the action centre which I assume is the pop up. However I would not suggest it as you could be missing on critical security updates.

I would suggest doing a back up or at least creating a system restore point before doing the update then if you do get any issues you can always go back.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I updated ages ago and haven't noticed any problem

To be honest I haven't really noticed much difference at all
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Are the prompts via Windows Update?
    If so you can hide updates via Windows Update in Control Panel.

I upgraded from 8 to 8.1 without a problem but then again it was on a new system with nothing to lose.
    I would recommend backing up before a major update like that.
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all for advice so far -much appreciated I've created a restore point just in case. My laptop is fairly new and had Windows 8 already built in.

Everything is running fairly well at the moment so I didn't want to upgrade to Win 8.1 just in case it caused problems.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Win 8.1 is quite a major upgrade and resolves a number of the issues that punters were wittering about on Win 8. I'd go for it, it's stable, provides a lot of improvements and is [imho] v good.

You can always wind back if you don't like it, but it is better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3GB worth of an update. Not for me
    Forum Member
    You do realise you don't have to watch it happening? Leave it on overnight, by the time you wake up it'll be done and prompting for a reboot.

There really isn't much that's logical in deciding that sticking with the worst version of Microsoft's 3rd worst OS is the best way forward.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    The Windows 8.1 upgrade is much better than the original Windows 8, the upgrade is done through the MS store after you have all the Windows 8 windows updates installed.

The only issue you might have after the upgrade is that you might need to install some updated hardware drivers (from memory it is usually wireless drivers) The upgrade can take a while to download & install & it will restart your PC several times during it.

After the process is finished & everything is working fine & you have rebooted a couple of times, right click the start button & click search & enter cleanmgr.exe & that will open the disk clean up app, click the ok button for it to scan your Windows drive to see how much space can be freed up & then on the window that appears click clean up system files & you can then gain some space by removing the previous Windows 8 install.

You can always use Macrium Reflect Free to make a backup of your windows drive before you do the update in case you don't like it & want to go back to windows 8 but windows 8.1 does fix a lot of the silly issues & niggles that Windows 8 had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC Windows 8 is out of support now so you're best off upgrading.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have until 12 Jan 2016 to move to W8.1 , W8 is still in support.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle-windows81-faq
    Forum Member
    It's no longer on general sale - maybe that's what you meant. MS have withdrawn Win 7 & 8 from general sale so except for run-out & OEM stock it's no longer available. Win 8.1 it is.