Perfect hot chocolate recipe

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
Forum Member
✭✭
What's your foolproof hot chocolate recipe that's absolutely bliss at this time of the year?

Comments

• GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll watch this with interest!

I can even get by with that 40 calorie Cadburys Dairy Milk flavoured one as long as it has a dash of milk and is whisked vigorously.

Maltesers in hot milk is bliss, but about 300 calories for a portion size that I like to drink!

I'm sure others have got much, MUCH better ideas than that though.
  • azaleaazalea Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    I'll watch this with interest!

I can even get by with that 40 calorie Cadburys Dairy Milk flavoured one as long as it has a dash of milk and is whisked vigorously.

Maltesers in hot milk is bliss, but about 300 calories for a portion size that I like to drink!

I'm sure others have got much, MUCH better ideas than that though.

Me to!
    I like my cadburys bournvile, like you say 40 calories is ok.
    I went out a few weeks ago and orderd one, it took ages but oh my when it came it was gorgeous. It was obviously a proper chocolate melted in the pan job. I wish now I had asked how they made it.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made this last Christmas for my wife and daughter (I'm not a hot choc lover).
    They loved it:
    http://www.celebritykitchen.co.uk/jamie-olivers-epic-hot-chocolate
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    Cadbury's Hot Chocolate, with a nice dash of milk.

I prefer this to Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate or the cocoa.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 heaped teaspoons Cadburys hot choc in a mug of warmed milk. Stir in 2 teaspoons hazelnut syrup and top with squirty cream dredged in some of the hot choc powder. Sexy.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rare to get a decent instant but instant is so much handier when the kids are plaguing you for cup after cup. We like Galaxy instant hot choc. I put very heaped spoonfuls, plus a little extra, to make it very chocolatey. I mix the powder with milk before pouring in the boiling water. Pretty sweet so doesn't need sugar.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made this last Christmas for my wife and daughter (I'm not a hot choc lover).
    They loved it:
    http://www.celebritykitchen.co.uk/jamie-olivers-epic-hot-chocolate

I know I'd love that - love Horlicks - but there's so much involved it almost qualifies as cooking to me. :blush:
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After having Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate, going back to powdery stuff isn't easy.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I'd love that - love Horlicks - but there's so much involved it almost qualifies as cooking to me. :blush:
    Just the once to make a decent supply - then just store it in a (kilner) jar and use when you feel the urge.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I drink Suchard Express, it's just lovely. A spoonful of powder mixed into a mug of hot milk.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Cadbury's drinking chocolate with milk. ;)
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    After having Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate, going back to powdery stuff isn't easy.

What is Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate like? Sounds nice! ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter introduced me to an Italian hot chocolate drink called Ciobar, it's made with milk, it's thick and delicious.
    You buy it as a powder and make it in the pot like you would most chocolate drinks, it gets thicker as it gets warmer.
    It isn't as thick and dark as the chocolate you can buy in Madrid, but you could still dunk churros or baby doughnuts in it.
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury's drinking chocolate, full cream milk, a tiny pinch of salt and a small dash if Monin vanilla syrup (both of which bring out a more chocolatey flavour). Plus - on cold winter nights - a tot of brandy!