Underrated Singers?

zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,781
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Which singers who have had big success do you think are underrated and deserve more recognition?

For me its:

P!nk (deserves a lot more awards and recognition)
Shakira
Paloma Faith
Cher
Dolly Parton
Enrique Eglesias
The Script

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Which singers who have had big success do you think are underrated and deserve more recognition?

For me its:

Shakira
    Paloma Faith
    Cher
    Enrique Eglesias
    The Script

Agree with all of these. Particularly Pink and Cher. I personally think Pink is one of the best arists of the 00s. I'd rather listen to her then the 'vocalists' like Mariah, Christina etc.

As for Cher, her dancier stuff doesn't show her voice, but her late 80s/early 90s stuff show her at her best. I Found Someone, Love & Understanding etc. I loved some of the stuff on her latest album too. Same as Pink - not a so called 'vocalist', but one hell of a singer! :D
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Agree with all of these. Particularly Pink and Cher. I personally think Pink is one of the best arists of the 00s. I'd rather listen to her then the 'vocalists' like Mariah, Christina etc.

As for Cher, her dancier stuff doesn't show her voice, but her late 80s/early 90s stuff show her at her best. I Found Someone, Love & Understanding etc. I loved some of the stuff on her latest album too. Same as Pink - not a so called 'vocalist', but one hell of a singer! :D

I have to say P!nk is the best performer out there
  • LMLM Posts: 63,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink has more recognition and respsect in the UK and in Australia. But in terms of the US, they accepted her but don't hold her in high regard.
  • Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    I liked The Script at first but all their songs sounds too samey now.

I think the Kaiser Chiefs are very under rated as were The Kooks and The Hoosiers,
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Shakira and Cher definitely.

I'd add Leona Lewis and Marina and the Diamonds.
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Clarkson, people just don't seem to appreciate just how talented she is. Some of this is probably down to where she made her name, but the women has an incredible voice.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prince and his voice seems to have got better with age.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie Ware it saddens me that trash like Taylor Swift is held in the highest regard when someone like Jessie goes all but unnoticed.

Sarah Mclachlan outside of NA relatively unnoticed.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For me its:

Shakira
    Paloma Faith
    Cher
    Dolly Parton
    Enrique Eglesias
    The Script

I love Paloma Faith, Dolly did a terrific set at Glastonbury.
  • Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »

Love Cher! im really into her Black Rose album at the moment, a rare gem it is too!!!
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexandra Burke. Saw her in The Bodyguard and my god, she was absolutely incredible.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Paloma Faith, Dolly did a terrific set at Glastonbury.

Her miming was impeccable.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicole Scherzinger.

Saw her in CATS on Wednesday and wow has she got some pipes on her. She can do quite raspy/raw vocals along with light/softer in very quick key changes. She was amazing
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sophie Ellis-Bextor
    Roisin Murphy
    Bat For Lashes
    Marina and the Diamonds
    Kelly Clarkson
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brandon Flowers (The Killers)

He's not the best singer technically, but I think he has the best tone.
  • Bob_AjobBob_Ajob Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beverly Knight (deserves more recognition)
    Nicola Roberts (to often overlooked in GA)
    Caro Emerald (she should be better known)
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Ajob wrote: »
    Beverly Knight (deserves more recognition)
    Nicola Roberts (to often overlooked in GA)
    Caro Emerald (she should be better known)

Agree with that.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Nicole Scherzinger.

Saw her in CATS on Wednesday and wow has she got some pipes on her. She can do quite raspy/raw vocals along with light/softer in very quick key changes. She was amazing

Agree with this. She's an incredible vocalist, but seems to have tarred herself with this kind of "pop princess" image.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D'angelo
    Erykah Badu
    Angie Stone
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Delta Goodrem- such an incredible voice, wish she would get more success in the UK and USA.
    Also agree with Kelly Clarkson.
    Nadine Coyle, wish she got some success unlike Cheryl Cole.
  • Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    Agree with this. She's an incredible vocalist, but seems to have tarred herself with this kind of "pop princess" image.

After seeing her this week in Cats, and seeing her previous work to do with musical theatre (like her performance of Phantom of the opera and Evita, all on youtube), I definitely think in the next 10 years or so that could be her future, and I think it will be in the UK too. I won't be all dramatic and gushy and say that the UK adore her but she seems well liked here and the theatre went crazy for her, she is a genuine talent, she can sing and act as well as being a stunner! :D

All that aside though, she does genuinely seem a lovely girl which is what I think people like, she is strangely quite relate-able and appears very humble. When the audience were clapping for the characters at the end, it seemed like it was them who were taking her under their wing, there was no "superstar" persona or no out-shining at all. She was actually waved to a group of kids in the front row which pleased the hell out of them.

What her fellow PCDs think of her personally though is probably another story :D
  • Arran_DempsterArran_Dempster Posts: 3,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer Hudson's albums and songs are so underrated. "Test of Faith" is the best vocal I've heard since Whitney Houston.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tori Kelly. Probably the sweetest voice and sweetest personality to go with it. The success of her Pro Green song will help her
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    After seeing her this week in Cats, and seeing her previous work to do with musical theatre (like her performance of Phantom of the opera and Evita, all on youtube), I definitely think in the next 10 years or so that could be her future, and I think it will be in the UK too. I won't be all dramatic and gushy and say that the UK adore her but she seems well liked here and the theatre went crazy for her, she is a genuine talent, she can sing and act as well as being a stunner! :D

All that aside though, she does genuinely seem a lovely girl which is what I think people like, she is strangely quite relate-able and appears very humble. When the audience were clapping for the characters at the end, it seemed like it was them who were taking her under their wing, there was no "superstar" persona or no out-shining at all. She was actually waved to a group of kids in the front row which pleased the hell out of them.

What her fellow PCDs think of her personally though is probably another story :D

She's performing on The Graham Norton Show right now. It's a ballad, and she sounds brilliant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Louise Marshall (who is the singer for the Jools Holland band)