Options

Boys and Girls Alone on C4

Comments

• Options
    OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure I will be watching again next week as the warning at the start of the show "contains scenes of animal dissection" will probably happen next week...........what the heck are they letting them do that for - they are not living in an environment where that would be a necessity in order to eat - sounds horrible to me :eek: :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Sounds disturbing. No wonder we are a nation of messed up people when we view this shite as entertainment. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,189
    Forum Member
    Was this show as bad as it looked?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I thought Sid was adorable,esp when he uped the water game and used paint:eek::D

That Tiesha(sp?)is a little cow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt very sorry for Sid - he said his mum didn't listen to him.

And he was right.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Taboo wrote: »
    I thought Sid was adorable,esp when he uped the water game and used paint:eek::D

That Tiesha(sp?)is a little cow.

Yes I thought Sid was cute. It was really nice to see just how much they all missed their mummies and daddies, but also kind of awkward.

I'll definitely be watching again next week.
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    Dimsie wrote: »
    Well, every day I see evidence of working people working hard, trying their best to hang on to their jobs and worried sick because they might end up having to go cap in hand to the state simply to feed their families. I can't believe you think 'the majority of working class people no longer work' - who do you think actually does all the work that we see being done around us every day? Who's at the till when you check out at Tesco - an alien from Mars? Who does all the building, the plumbing, the painting, the hairdressing, the child care, to name but a few? The working class is the backbone of this country and always has been. Yes, there are those who are lazy and workshy, but you'll find workshy people everywhere and from all social classes.

As for the popping out babies, yes, many girls have babies but not all expect the state to provide for them. Many girls want to work and if they can arrange child care many of them take jobs or return to education. I know much publicity is given to those who just want to milk the system, but very little publicity is given to those who, like a young friend of mine, work 12-hour shifts in a nursing home to provide for her baby.

Please don't stigmatise the ordinary working class person and allege he/she doesn't want to work. Believe me, if every working class person downed tools tomorrow you'd soon realise just how much everyone relies on them, you included.

Yeah I know all of this. I know a 17 year old that works 12 hour days on a farm, 8 days on, 2 days off or something, a real hard worker. But like you said too, there are those that do milk the system, and they were the ones I was referring to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed this. :D

Felt sorry for the little 8 year old girls who were being bullied by the older girls.

What about that Ryan boy? :eek: He has a temper on him!

I found Sid adorable. Sad to see him quit so early on.

And the way the boys were crying for their mums was so sweet to see.

The girls seem to handle the situation better in terms of being able to survive with food and cleaning but the gang mentality and bitchiness was there for all to see. Sadly, that's how most girls are at school and with their friends. Thank God i wasn't like that.
  • Options
    JuceeJucee Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this show pretty disturbing, but I know I'm going to have to watch next week, I'm actually concerned for some of the kids in there:eek:

There seem to be some very worrying behaviour from some of them, Ryan seems a little disturbed to say the least and as for Charley and Ayesha, they remind me of the cow bags at school. There would always be the Princess Popular with her not so pretty bully sidekick who she could send off to do her dirty work. As for the 'redecorating' project to 'make friends' I found that pretty sick tbh. I was really impressed with the 2 8 year old girls, they seem to be more mature than the older ones put together, I hope they don't get disturbed or corrupted by appearing on this.

I really felt for the little lad who went home, I can't believe his mum was reluctant to take him out and as for her telling him to go in there and cook something, well maybe if she'd taught her lad to at least boil a friggin' kettle then maybe he would have coped better.

I agree that if this was BB then most the footage would have been stopped long before it began, one of the most worrying scenes was one of the lads holding a rake in the bedroom and then Ryan grabbing it. It was only seconds before it became impailed in someones head that they bothered to confistcate it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Don't why anyone can be concerned? In nearly every shot you could see an adult in the background, Sid was given a meal the first time he went out to see his mum and they are just a bunch of kids playing up to the camera. Waste of time if you ask me, hardly a proper social experiment and certainly not hugely entertaining. I'd rather watch the paint dry than a bunch of brats running and screaming round a house.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i saw a previous show where they left a bunch of lads alone for a few days, they completely trashed the house, their parents were utterly bewildered as to why, and when they ask for an explanation they got a shrug of the shoulders and a ' i dunno, cos no one was telling us not to...'

so that is why kids need parental/adult guidance because they are TOO YOUNG to be able to manage on their own. even if they could cook a bit and clean up for themselves they simply dont have the emotional maturity to deal with being alone for too long.

i was not surprised in the slightest about the behaviour of the girls, i have a 12 yr old daughter and i know how bitchy girls that age can be, how they clique up and exclude other girls, often for no rational reason at all.

i was a pretty independent kid at that age but i know if i was stuck in a house with no adult supervision and a bunch of other girls i would have not liked it one bit and would have struggled to cope.

if there was a girl who was being a bitch and being nasty and thinking herself high and mighty i know I would have ended up having a fight with her, as i did on a few occasions when i was that age. couldnt stand high and mighty girls who thought themselves so great.

if this show proves anything it is the importance of having a stable adult influence in a childs life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alphacrust wrote: »
    What I love about all these shows is....

There's a sodding film crew with them all the time!!

To film something of half decent broadcast quality you will need:

- a cameraman
    - a boom opperator
    - a director
    ... and anybody else who wants to hang on for the ride...

Hardly an experiment on children being left alone :rolleyes:

Paul.

PRECISELY. And someone was asking the lad who was painting his cupboard WHY ARE YOU PAINTING YOUR CUPBOARD, and the lad said I DONT KNOW JUST AM.

So there are people there all the time.

I couldnt quite see the point to it all myself, and turned over after a bit.
  • Options
    RodneyKRodneyK Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    The two older girls, charlie and Tia (not sure of her name) have basically been watching too many american high school flicks, like mean girls, and are trying to emulate what they have seen. It doesn't automatically make them bad people, just misguided and somewhat spoilt. They might turn out ok, they might not....
    You might as well give up hope for Charley right now in light of these quotes from her mum...
    Debbie Beaumont, a 42-year-old sales co-ordinator for an insurance broker, refuses to have a word said against her daughter Charley, 12.

'She's a leader, but that can come across as bullying. At home, I've often found her defiant. She and another girl were the ringleaders in ostracising the youngest girl, Maddie, who had just turned eight.

'Maddie had daubed pink hearts on the walls, and Charley thought it was babyish. There was a slight altercation between me and Maddie's mum. I told her that I have two older children, and once her daughter is a bit older she will see that this is nothing to worry about.

'I didn't think Charley was doing anything malicious. Some of the girls, including Charley, trampled over the other girls' beds, but they didn't destroy their property.

'It wasn't nice to watch, but what do you expect when they've been given no structure and aren't even eating the right food? The girls spent a lot of time bitching. I don't act like that - I work in an office and I never talk about other women in a negative way.

'My daughters come home from their all-girls' secondary school with hair-raising tales. It upsets me. I think it's partly TV shows they watch like Hollyoaks, where there's constant rowing, and partly the speed of modern communications. They're always chatting to friends on MSN Messenger on the internet, or texting their friends.'
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the last five minutes and the teaser trailer for next week's show.

There were kids smoking (isn't it illegal to show anyone smoking on TV let alone kids under sixteen?) and two lads kicking the crap put of each other as the film crew carried on filming.

I may have got it out of context but it looked like a new low in voyeurism and exploitation to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where did they get the **** from? did they manage to buy them from somewhere - if so who sold underage kids the ****, or were they given them by an adult? maybe someone from the prod company to make controversial telly?
  • Options
    cmrxxcmrxx Posts: 7,048
    Forum Member
    I'll second most of that, some of the conclusions people have jumped to on this thread, about how these kids are going to turn out, baffling.

For me its not how they are going to turn out, it is how they behave now, the people they effect now. Their behaviour can have a lasting effect on others that can take a long time to heal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Get off his arris, read the Pizza packet.
    See what the other boys do, observe the pictagrams on the oven?
    I'm guessing most of the boys weren't cooking from scratch, but warming things up, nothing to stop him observing and copying them.

Maybe this'll be his wakeup call and he'll spend more time in the Kitchen observing and learning.

Quite clearly he didn't have a clue with regards to basic skills in the kitchen and I think perhaps he felt a bit embarassed about this and ashamed, considering the other boys had somewhat more experience. Sometimes when you're in a situation like that it's not that easy to go and ask someone for help, so you just avoid the situation.

I enjoyed the show, it was interesting... though a little like car crash TV, but I guess that's what makes it watchable.

I thought the two 8 years (Maddie and Sophia?), were much more mature than the two bullyish girls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    lynwood3 wrote: »
    Both parents and children are selected for the programme that the producers envisage, not because they are a true cross-section of society..........just like Big Brother

How right you are!

I can't understand how any parent would put their child up for this. Some might try to justify it by saying they want them to learn how to stand on their own feet, or to gain confidence after a bad time at school or whatever. But basically the lure of being on TV seems worth whatever they have to go through to get it.

And of course the producers "cast" the kids to get the sort of conflict that is arising. There were no doubt hundreds of kids put forward and I am guessing they had certain types they looked for.

You could more or less tell who would fill what role from the way the mother's described them, i.e. Charley's Mum said she was "popular" at school - so OK you know before it starts she will be the uber-bitch who rules the classroom clique and decides who will / will not be the outcasts; Ginger girl's Mum said she had had a hard time at school - so you just know she will be a victim all over again.

I can't imagine how embarassing it must have been to be sitting in a room with the other parents watching your child be unspeakable to someone else's child and then trying to justify it.

On the whole I think this age range (8 to 11) was just too young for this sort of thing. That doesn't mean I think kids of that age should never leave their parents. As others have said, children that age regularly go away overnight on school trips or brownie camps. My own daughter has since she was 7 or 8 and loved it. But the difference is that at least in those situations there are adults around. The kids might be expected to help out with cooking, cleaning etc but at least there is proper adult supervision and structure. It is the lack of this that caused the problems here.

It was made clear that the "chaperones" on this programme would only step in if the children were in danger. Any other bullying or bad behaviour just goes unchecked and that is what the kids of that age are not mature enough to cope with.
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nicola001 wrote: »
    I love the little boy ( the one that left ) ! He is soooo cute

He cant physicaly do things for himself but he is very mature for his age ( he reminds me of a little old man :D )

Oh Sid is so cute absolutely ADORABLE. I can't understand how his mum could have put him in there and he didn't even know how to boil a kettle.

He did a great job of painting that wall (though didn't know why he did it - soooo sweet).

The girls, oh dear. Scary stuff. I could believe alesha(sp) throwing a full bucket of water over sophia and one of those chaperones should have filled the bucket up and chucked it right over her. That was absolute out and out bullying.

Then the older girls just cooking for 6 and alesha saying should she not have it etc. Pathetic (she could also do with missing a few meals imo).

When they went and vandalised the house with their scary messages what an absolutely vindictive and vile thing to think about doing never mind do.

The younger girls (especially Sophie - the redhead) are doing really well. I would rather have Sophie as a daughter than Charley and Alesha any day (sorry for misspelling of the names).

I reckon Sophie will do well when she grows up.

I loved little Sid though what a wee cutie, and his mother should maybe have a little think about how she can impress upon him that she does love and miss him.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished studying child development, doing social psychology now for my psychology degree, so this show is right up my street!

Finding it absolutely fascinating. I just did a bit or work about how the failure of groups leads to tyranny, and lo, and behold, take a look at the Charley-ocracy of the girl's camp. That smarmy, smirky little cow's really got my goat - where does she get off being such a horrible person? Anyway, the girls met to discuss rules, the meeting failed, and Charley and the other kid took it upon themselves to dictate to the rest of the group, or "rule with terror." The boys meet to discuss rules, they get a chance to "police" the community in the shape of the "anarchist" lad, (which was a fascinating sequence), and the only problem is hunger!

Next week, it looks like they get ciggies...watch the complaints FLOOD in!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been said several times in this thread, the 'cigarettes' are fake
  • Options
    dickronsondickronson Posts: 2,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    I caught the last five minutes and the teaser trailer for next week's show.

There were kids smoking (isn't it illegal to show anyone smoking on TV let alone kids under sixteen?) and two lads kicking the crap put of each other as the film crew carried on filming.

Why on earth would it be illegal to show people smoking on tv?!
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why parents would let their children be shown on tv like this...:confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted