Options

How can people survive without Sky+?

Comments

• Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean seriously, is there anyone out there going into 2011 with no sky+?

:confused:

Yes. We have no Sky or Sky+. Have no idea what Sky+ even is! All we have is Freeview and there's quite enough to watch on there.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No need for Sky+ in my house either.
    My survival is not remotely affected by not having it. Unless sI;ve died and no one has told me. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people don't have Sky+. Some use basic Sky, the online player services, Freeview, some don't even have that. We used to have basic Sky & got Sky+ because it was costing next to nothing at the time. Back then, my OH wanted the most expensive package because according to him he'd be watching the sports, movies etc & it would be value for money. I ended up watching them more than him, & that was hardly ever, so I downgraded the package & he didn't even notice for a couple of weeks. :D

I wouldn't like to be without Sky+ now because (a) I put some of what's shown on dvd, and (b) when I'm ill, it's sometimes for weeks at a time, so having the wealth of channels to choose from helps relieve the boredom, as I doubt those programmes would have been shown on a terrestrial service. I also love being able to record something and fast-forward through commercial breaks - there's rarely a day when I don't get interrupted watching something, so being able to put something on "pause" comes in very useful. However, if I moved to an area where Sky+ wasn't available, I'd survive - somehow. ;) Having said that, now that Freeview services and equipment have improved, we'd consider a change if most of the channels we regularly watch (for instance, we make a lot of use of the Discovery channels) could be accessed.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Sky+ isn't the only PVR, there are plenty of Freeview hard disk recorders that let you do that.

Thee certainly are. And lots of the freesat ones have BBC iPlayer built in too. Most them are better quality than a sky+ box, last longer (so don't nuke your recordings when the man comes to replace the box) and are more flexible in use. Not to mention not costing £220 a year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have been using Freeview+ for a while now.

We actually don't use the pause feature much, commercials don't seem to annoy us as much during live stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont have sky, too many unwatchable channels for too high a price...
    ripped dvds, obtained shows and XBMC give me my PVR
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cancelled Sky which went off last month as I wasn't watching or recording much (usually at least 80% free on a Sky+ box) and haven't missed it at all.

Didn't want to spend much on a PVR due to only recording about 5 programmes a week so I bought a USB TV tuner for £20 and connected it to my pc (which is on most of the day) using an external aerial.

My pc is connected to the TV by a HDMI lead from a HD graphics card.

Their are plenty of catch up services if needed as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cancelled my Sky+ HD sub, didn't have it over Christmas, now have a Humax Foxsat HDR, I aint gonna look back either, just wish I had done it sooner to save some money.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since we left the UK to Live in Rhodes we dont have a TV.Watching TV has been replaced by conversation
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I haven't got time to watch the rubbish that is on the 5 main channels without shelling out more money for even more rubbish.

What about digital switchover? Do you have a Freeview box?
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes , I use V+ ;)

Believe it or not some people don't give a crap about tv or whats on it and are happy to watch whats on when its on.
  • Options
    aligailaligail Posts: 481
    Forum Member

Another one here - haven't got Sky+ and have got no desire to get it !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

I'm very confused(.com) by your post. Sky+ is a nice PVR for watching Sky, but its not like equivalent non-branded products haven't been available for years which you could use to record or timeshift any programmes you could receive, and in addition you can catch up with the main five terrestrial channels online these days.

I don't have SKy+, nor do I have cable (TV), but I can watch what I want when I want with what I have.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thread. I was starting to think I was the odd one out for not having Sky. I'm already paying for a tv license, theres no need to pay extra for something I wont use.

Ive got a Freeview box that can record up to 250 hours on its internal disk. Theres plenty of decent stuff to watch on there. (Also have a combined VCR/DVD recorder). A lot of Sky programmes end up on Freeview anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why enjoying the flexibility of Sky+ makes you "addicted to the TV". In fact surely it has the opposite effect, meaning your life isn't dominated/controlled by TV schedules at all?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    michael777 wrote: »
    I don't see why enjoying the flexibility of Sky+ makes you "addicted to the TV". In fact surely it has the opposite effect, meaning your life isn't dominated/controlled by TV schedules at all?

That's what I thought too. In some ways recording stuff probably means you watch less TV (well live telly anyway) overall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Ive got a Freeview box that can record up to 250 hours on its internal disk. Theres plenty of decent stuff to watch on there. (Also have a combined VCR/DVD recorder). A lot of Sky programmes end up on Freeview anyway.
    My OH would go nuts if I got rid of the Discovery channels & I don't think Freeview carries those. However, I'm interested in your vcr/dvd recorder - can you tell me which one you've got? It would also be useful to know which Freeview box you're using. I might have to do a bit of bargaining, but if I could find enough plus points, maybe he'd go for it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    michael777 wrote: »
    That's been my experience. I use DigiGuide which has the schedules for up to two months ahead. I usually have a quick whizz through, then set our Sky+ up for things I know we don't want to miss. We also have Remote Record on our phones for things someone might mention to us on the day that we've forgotten to set it up for. Most of what we watch has been recorded in advance, so that we can watch it at our convenience. :)
  • Options
    poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    The record and pause function is my favourite part of Sky TV!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Had Sky + for a while before eventually deciding it was a waste of money as we hardly ever watched it.

Freeview suits us fine in this house.

agree.

I shudder to think of all the money we've wasted with sky over the years.

I now have freeview+, FTA sat, and all the online services (bbc, itv player etc)

I hate to think im wasting my life staring at the TV, so the fewer channels I can have ... the better IMO.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only need food, warmth and water to survive
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My OH would go nuts if I got rid of the Discovery channels & I don't think Freeview carries those. However, I'm interested in your vcr/dvd recorder - can you tell me which one you've got? It would also be useful to know which Freeview box you're using. I might have to do a bit of bargaining, but if I could find enough plus points, maybe he'd go for it. :)

The vcr/dvd recorder is Panasonic. A few years old now but you can still get them in Currys or Comet.

The Freeview box is tvonics. An older version of ones on their website. Thats in the lounge for my wife to record her programmes. Ive got an older one in the kitchen to record my programmes. :)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The record and pause function is my favourite part of Sky TV!

You can do that with all Freeview+ and freesat+ boxes.
    Some are better than others, my old TUTV box is always buffering so I can rewind live T.v, my Hitachi don't and I have to press pause to start it buffering.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a Freeview+ box and yes it have changed the way I watch T.V, in the fact that I hardly watch live T.V now. I can now watch the stuff i want to watch when I like.

survive without it I can and had done for 2 years without any T.V and there are plenty of people I know that don't have sky+ or any other PVr and they survive. some people. One household i know that have Sky+ have never recorder anything on the box since they had it 3 years ago, never paused it, they just watch what is on.
  • Options
    galleonslapgalleonslap Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day, it's down to how important TV is in your life.