Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose DM would sic the police on his mum for stealing the clock, but I wish he would; she really has it coming! And wouldn't it be a scream for us to learn next season that his dad never actually died?

For that matter, what happened to the villa in Portugal? We were told in S2 that it was in ME's name. So why is she now homeless?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Needed the money, remortgaged and defaulted perhaps?
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love this series, but I have stopped giving a toss whether or not they stay together, absolutely no chemistry there between them anyway.

I would prefer a series on Allf and his Dad, get rid of Martin and Louisa, they have become sooo irritating now. It's a beautiful location with some good characters who are far more interesting than that pair.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    The final line "You're my patient. And my wife." can be read in so many ways. Note how he puts his patient first . . . always has and always will and that is something LG will have to deal with if she stays. He also says, "You ARE my wife." That suggests permanence. Or could be read as simply a statement of the present state of affairs.

[/QUOTE

No, not for me...

IMHO

I heard ' ...and my WIFE ' - that's permanent

He knows that Louisa may not remember what he has said

But he needed to say it for himself - hence, no looking back as he marched out in his usual brisk style - he is moving forward; he is not going to give up without a fight

I am convinced there will be a Series 7; MC found a fresh acting challenge in this series

Go Doc !
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    Is that it for Doc Martin then? Are they going to put the show out of its misery?

Each to their own - I, personally, love this show - having heavily invested in the main characters.

I can't let them go........another series, please !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    I used to love this series, but I have stopped giving a toss whether or not they stay together, absolutely no chemistry there between them anyway.

I would prefer a series on Allf and his Dad, get rid of Martin and Louisa, they have become sooo irritating now. It's a beautiful location with some good characters who are far more interesting than that pair.

I agree, Bert & Al are great characters.Plus many others, PC Penhale etc. I think the Doc could be left in but happy to lose Louisa:rolleyes:
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    I agree, Bert & Al are great characters.Plus many others, PC Penhale etc. I think the Doc could be left in but happy to lose Louisa:rolleyes:

Good grief, I called poor Al, Alf! Must water it down first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I thought she agreed and was just surprised he had come to the same conclusion.
    And from their conversation after the operation I'd say Louisa doesn't remember the talk on the operation table. But he does.

Someone said on FB that they thought she said "Okay" which would be much more hopeful in my book, for some reason. I think it was surprise, and just a little bit of hope that at least he recognized and admitted the need for change. And maybe also a little bit of the non-wedding moment?

And great point that HE remembers the conversation, even if she doesn't. B/c I think it told him that she does love him and want to be with him, even though confused and hurt.
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if one of you superfans can answer a question for me.

I only watched the first two or three series of this show but have enjoyed watching this most recent one.

How on earth has this child come about :confused: Even though they are now married they don't seem to be able to talk properly to each other and he doesn't seem to drink anything stronger than water (or maybe coffee?) so I assume the traditional "got drunk and ended up in bed" scenario doesn't apply.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I loved, loved, loved it! Wasn't it funny when Louisa told Martin that he has a big head? Like a moon, but in a good way. :cool::)

That scene showed she really loves him and really knows him. She likes his looks, and is sensitive to him. Under anesthesia she was speaking her thoughts and subconscious. It is funny to think about him being in Spain in those suits.

She says "it's" going to be difficult and meant the surgery. He answers yes, but the surgery is easy for him compared to being a good husband and father.

He made the commitment to work hard and ask her for help, but she won't remember what he said (most likely). It is more noble for him to follow through on his commitment now. Sort of like doing a good deed when nobody is looking.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Mona and Mofromco (and any other medical professionals in earshot) -- what are the chances the Louisa would remember any of that pre-op conversation?

And also: when he told her at the end, "I agree, and I don't want that, either," how do people interpret her "really?" As a kind of willing to be convinced "really?" Or was she a little hurt, as at the end of S3 when he told her that she wouldn't make him happy either.

(Boy, were they both right ....so far.)

Well, if they gave LG the British equivalent of Versed, the pre-operation medication used in the US, she would definitely not remember the conversation, at all, in any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    I don't suppose DM would sic the police on his mum for stealing the clock, but I wish he would; she really has it coming! And wouldn't it be a scream for us to learn next season that his dad never actually died?

For that matter, what happened to the villa in Portugal? We were told in S2 that it was in ME's name. So why is she now homeless?

DM's mom stealing the clock shows just how pathologically horrible she is. She doesn't care for the clock; she is taking it out of sheer revenge. It's the only thing DM found of value in AJ's items, the one he put back together, and which for him perhaps represented her love. So, since DM would not give her any money, after exposing her lies and rejecting her, she stole the clock, to try to hurt him as much as she could, one last time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though the last episode was enjoyable, as was the first one, the middle ones were still awful. I know a few on the Forum enjoyed the middle ones, and perhaps more were displeased but are so happy with the last they are going to sum up the season as wonderful, fantastic, and can't wait for the next season.

I wish I was feeling the same. But, for me, this season overall was quite disappointing, and so similar to S5, I wonder if this is the essential methodology of producers /writers creative forces from now on.

But, enjoying two episodes out of 8 for me is not a "good" season, especially when the big realization for DM is that he has "childhood issues", which we as fans have known for the past, well, 6 seasons.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Near the end when he entered the toilet crying I thought Louisa may have died.
    I know that was what the Director wanted us to think, but I was so pleased she had come through the operation.

The other point - is DM's father really dead?
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Well I watched this last night and see it did not improve from the 1st episode :(

They even made Al Large into a baffoon. He was not like that in the last series.

So disappointed as I really enjoyed all the other series. Shows they should not change the writers as I understand they did.

What a let down.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Near the end when he entered the toilet crying I thought Louisa may have died.
    I know that was what the Director wanted us to think, but I was so pleased she had come through the operation.

The other point - is DM's father really dead?

A point I raised earlier on (#319) in this thread. People seem to think he really is as (apart from me) no one commented on my suggestion. I thought he may have faked it for insurance like the 'canoe man'.

Those pair are low enough to do anything, especially as the mother couldn't decide when telling Martin if his father died from a stroke or a heart attack.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm disappointed.:( I really thought Ruth's pep talk to him about he simply had to change if he wanted a life with Louisa would have been the pivotal tipping point for him.

But it was not to be. Right at the end, he still referred to her first as his patient, secondly his wife. So no change in attitude at all. :(

The only thing that baffles me now is what the hell Louisa ever saw in him in the first place, and why she thought for a single minute she could change him overnight. :(
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A point I raised earlier on (#319) in this thread. People seem to think he really is as (apart from me) no one commented on my suggestion. I thought he may have faked it for insurance like the 'canoe man'.

Those pair are low enough to do anything, especially as the mother couldn't decide when telling Martin if his father died from a stroke or a heart attack.

I think it is possible, Terry, but we will probably never find out for sure, as I think the re-appearance of Margaret has served the purpose of vanquishing his parents, living or dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think it is possible, Terry, but we will probably never find out for sure, as I think the re-appearance of Margaret has served the purpose of vanquishing his parents, living or dead.

That clock will probably make a reappearance somehow. It's symbolic throughout the show.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    That scene showed she really loves him and really knows him. She likes his looks, and is sensitive to him. Under anesthesia she was speaking her thoughts and subconscious. It is funny to think about him being in Spain in those suits.

in keeping with the theme of really knowing him, did you see her roll her eyes when she heard him throwing up? Made me laugh in the middle of a very tense scene. :D
  • Options
    CurlyCurly Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    I think what many viewers seem to miss, is that Doc Martin, as with House MD, cares very deeply for his patients and those around him but cannot show those emotions due to a dysfunctional upbringing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Curly wrote: »
    I think what many viewers seem to miss, is that Doc Martin, as with House MD, cares very deeply for his patients and those around him but cannot show those emotions due to a dysfunctional upbringing.

I think people do see this but are frustrated that this is portayed with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and DM seems unable to demonstrate any realisation of self-awareness at all. That's why it gets repetitive.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed this last episode. It was packed with symbolism and reference that fans could notice and appreciate and lovely acting on the part of the cast.. The occurrence of an Arteriovenous Malformation was interesting.

The medical veracity in the episode was seriously lacking so the next time you are in an Operating Theatre do not imitate what you saw in the scenes. It doesn't bother me because when watching TV, movies etc. it becomes very clear to me whether to take the presentation as realistic or not. The OR dramatization of sclerosing Louisa's AVM was totally bogus. He touched Louisa's cheek which broke scrub...he must have pulled his mask down to barf and went back to the table..which broke scrub. I would have thought her head would have been immobilized because threading the catheter through blood vessels would be exacting work. Maybe it would be SOP for the patient to go home so soon after that surgery..I'm not a surgeon..but I wouldn't want MY patient to go home that soon. So..in a word..it was a bogus representation all the way around.

That being said I loved that he touched her cheek. I loved the Versed laden conversation and her "big head" observation. I loved that he locked that bozo surgeon in the closet..I loved their post op conversation and the fact I had to watch it very closely 3 or 4 times until I was satisfied with interpreting their facial expression. In the end there was hope for the dysfunctional couple so I didn't give a fig about how bad the medical stuff was anyway. Their medical consultant was not on set for this one but who really cares. Oh yes..and for the amount of time it took to resuscitate Caroline she would have been curled up in the fetal position in a vegetative state in a facility somewhere. No criticism..just fact. It was déjà vu to see Caroline in her bra getting shocked back to life...shades of Holly. So turn off the medical reality filter on this one and enjoy the story. (I wonder if they broke the medical show law? That Martin..he's so funny)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got to the airport pretty quickly, but where is the nearest airport, Exeter or Bristol? which aren't very close to Cornwall?
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    They got to the airport pretty quickly, but where is the nearest airport, Exeter or Bristol? which aren't very close to Cornwall?

Exactly and why didn't he ring ahead? It was an enjoyable but pretty daft chase to the airport.
This discussion has been closed.