Options

Son Wants to join Xbox Live (Gold tier) - options?

deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
Forum Member
Hi!

My 12 year old son recently inherited my Xbox 360 (a couple of months ago) as upgraded to an Xbox One.

Just for ease of use, I initially set him up with an Xbox Live Silver account, so that he could download games and demos. He has recently added some of his school friends to his Xbox Live Friends List however, as these are all on Gold memberships, whilst he can chat to them online, he can't obviously play online with them (he currently only has 1 online compatible game anyway - Minecraft).

I have an Xbox Live Gold account on my Xbox One but was wondering if I can add my son to a 'Family Membership' which would allow him to have Xbox Live Gold access? Is this even possible (its been untold years ago that I started my gold membership, not even sure what options there are now!!) ?

If not, whats the easiest way to get a gold membership for him? Use a credit card (mine or my wife's) or just buy a redeemable voucher from somewhere (where's the best reputable online ship to do this?)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I think the family sharing is only available on Xbox One not 360.

To avoid using your credit card on his account the easiest way is to buy a code to redeem on the console. Most people I know use cdkeys.com as you can get 12 months Gold for about £23 which is a big discount on what you'd pay getting it direct from Microsoft.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong but I think the family sharing is only available on Xbox One not 360.

To avoid using your credit card on his account the easiest way is to buy a code to redeem on the console. Most people I know use cdkeys.com as you can get 12 months Gold for about £23 which is a big discount on what you'd pay getting it direct from Microsoft.

...cheers for that SaddlerSteve - appreciated! ;-)

Man, that IS a massive saving on the regular £39.99 official price!!! :o Never even knew you could get it so cheap!

So, if I buy from that website, do they just email me back the code, which I then enter into the 'Redeem A Code' section on the Xbox 360 dashboard (think its in the Xbox Guide section actually!) ?
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Remember if you get him an Xbox Gold membership he'll also get "free" games each month. So the list of games he has to play with his friends will grow, or in the case of single player games, he'll at least be able play what they're playing.

These subscriptions are usually very good value for money, especially if you get it at a discounted price.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Remember if you get him an Xbox Gold membership he'll also get "free" games each month. So the list of games he has to play with his friends will grow, or in the case of single player games, he'll at least be able play what they're playing.

These subscriptions are usually very good value for money, especially if you get it at a discounted price.

...oh yea, thats true - Gold members get them freebies every month as well!!!

Definitely will check out that link!
  • Options
    The Special OneThe Special One Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for cdkeys. Great price and you should receive the code instantly.