New iPod Range

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Will work fine, it will come with a US plug rather than UK you can charge it through USB fine.

iPods don't come with plugs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah, USB. Sorry.

./facepalm
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt-08 wrote: »
    iPods don't come with plugs.

Ohh didn't know that, i'm still using my old iPod Photo 60GB which came with a plug as did my iPhone.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's rumoured there will be an Apple Media event on September the 7th. The Touch and Nano seem likely to get cameras in them.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rumoured there will be an Apple Media event on September the 7th. The Touch and Nano seem likely to get cameras in them.

I can understand the Touch getting a camera, as there's always been a space "allocated" due to its removal, being based on the iPhone hardware platform.

But the Nano getting one? That almost implies a touch based Nano?

Sony did Net MD players with cameras in them years ago, but being typically Sony, it was neither widespread or competitive on pricing. Probably a reasonable camera, as well as being a very high quality audio player - but quality does not necessarily follow with sales.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

I already have an ipod but will want a new one just wasnt sure if it would all work fine
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iain wrote: »
    are you sure that Zunes are nicer and have a better UI and software?

i was always under the impression that iPods had been the success they are largely down to them...having the best UI and software.

Well that's a non-sequitur if ever I've heard one. You might as well say that the success of Windows is the fact that it is the best overall OS, or the success of Norton is the fact that it is the best AV, instead of a consequence of the respective companies marketing strategies, which are either very clever, or aggressive and more than just a little dubious, depending on your point of view.

Once a product achieves the market penetration of the ipod or Windows, it becomes very difficult to unseat it, even if you produce a superior product. A lot of people behave like sheep and follow the advice and behaviour of other sheep, even if the only substance to that advice is that a lot of other sheep say the same thing.

Are you referring to itunes when you talk about "the best software?" If so, you've got to be kidding me. I've rarely experienced such a bloated, buggy piece of horse-manure - at least in the Windows version. If I'd known what a nightmare it can be to get the thing working, I'd have forked out the extra cost for an ipod Classic alternative such as the Cowan or Archos range I was considering until my 160 Gb Classic refurb caught my eye.

The thing even installed junk without my knowledge - the bonjour nonsense actually broke my internet connection. Fortunately I managed to find an installer some kind soul had modified to get rid of the stuff apple installs without permission. Funny, I thought only malware did that.

Interestingly itunes was the only application I've ever known that Total Uninstall couldn't completely remove first time. It took me ages to sort everything.

Yes I should have had a disk image to back up from - but I didn't expect such problems from a company whose fanboys, including my brother, convinced me were light-years away from the dreaded Microsoft. Same difference if you ask me.

And please don't direct me to all the Windows users who haven't had a problem with itunes - while googling for solutions it became apparent that legions of others have experienced the same problems I have. Apple's own forums demonstrate the truth of that statement.

If ten million people buy a car and only a million of them explode in flames, killing everyone on board, then the fact that 90% of customers are satisfied is immaterial.

Sure there are good things about the ipod, but now I've got my hands on it, the hype is a bit overboard if you ask me.

On that note, why the flip do you have bother with all this itunes rigmarole in the first place? Why can't you just drag and drop files as you can with the Archos etc? (Unless you actually can and I've just missed something.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,667
    Forum Member
    Apple Keynote speech 9th September 6pm BST
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Sony did Net MD players with cameras in them years ago, but being typically Sony, it was neither widespread or competitive on pricing. Probably a reasonable camera, as well as being a very high quality audio player - but quality does not necessarily follow with sales.
    Speaking of Net MD (and this is totally OT), I found my MD collection the other day whilst looking for something else. So decided to put some in to see what was on them (I'm rubbish at labelling stuff), I was totally blown away by the sound quality, I'd forgotten how good the output stages of the player were.

All the CD's I transferred to MD were transferred using an optical cable, but the sound quality coming out of the MD player was absolutely sublime! Once again reminded me how terrible the output stage of the iPod is!
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Sold my 16gig iPodTouch the other day, going to through in a few quid hopefully if the new one is about £200 :D
  • mrdeejaymrdeejay Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jbeavon wrote: »
    Speaking of Net MD (and this is totally OT), I found my MD collection the other day whilst looking for something else. So decided to put some in to see what was on them (I'm rubbish at labelling stuff), I was totally blown away by the sound quality, I'd forgotten how good the output stages of the player were.

All the CD's I transferred to MD were transferred using an optical cable, but the sound quality coming out of the MD player was absolutely sublime! Once again reminded me how terrible the output stage of the iPod is!

Yes MD were amazin g still have a good hundred of them good for recording off the radio in mono so you can get fulll shows etc.

Pity MD did not take off I still use mine today.
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    KIIS102 wrote: »
    Sold my 16gig iPodTouch the other day, going to through in a few quid hopefully if the new one is about £200 :D

Just curious, how much you get?
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you referring to itunes when you talk about "the best software?" If so, you've got to be kidding me. I've rarely experienced such a bloated, buggy piece of horse-manure - at least in the Windows version. If I'd known what a nightmare it can be to get the thing working, I'd have forked out the extra cost for an ipod Classic alternative such as the Cowan or Archos range I was considering until my 160 Gb Classic refurb caught my eye.

The thing even installed junk without my knowledge - the bonjour nonsense actually broke my internet connection. Fortunately I managed to find an installer some kind soul had modified to get rid of the stuff apple installs without permission. Funny, I thought only malware did that.

Interestingly itunes was the only application I've ever known that Total Uninstall couldn't completely remove first time. It took me ages to sort everything.

Yes I should have had a disk image to back up from - but I didn't expect such problems from a company whose fanboys, including my brother, convinced me were light-years away from the dreaded Microsoft. Same difference if you ask me.

And please don't direct me to all the Windows users who haven't had a problem with itunes - while googling for solutions it became apparent that legions of others have experienced the same problems I have. Apple's own forums demonstrate the truth of that statement.

If ten million people buy a car and only a million of them explode in flames, killing everyone on board, then the fact that 90% of customers are satisfied is immaterial.

Sure there are good things about the ipod, but now I've got my hands on it, the hype is a bit overboard if you ask me.

On that note, why the flip do you have bother with all this itunes rigmarole in the first place? Why can't you just drag and drop files as you can with the Archos etc? (Unless you actually can and I've just missed something.)

Three years of using iTunes in Windows and I never even once had a lockup or a crash. Only a handful of programs I have used have been as reliable.

Yes, you can drag and drop into iTunes. Remember also that iTunes is your content storage and organising tool. It isn't Windows Explorer. :) Most people that want drag and drop with Explorer want it so they can illegally share their music with others.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem with itunes on Vista was that it fails to authorise the computer if it does not run as administrator. Other than that I had no problems running it with 2 nanos and one itouch with firmware 2.0 and 3.0. Maybe I was just lucky so far :D And you can share illegal music with ipods, too, even if apple tries to make it complicated. They probably think their customers are all thieves and bastards :rolleyes:
  • ScrolllockScrolllock Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    My only problem with itunes on Vista was that it fails to authorise the computer if it does not run as administrator. Other than that I had no problems running it with 2 nanos and one itouch with firmware 2.0 and 3.0. Maybe I was just lucky so far :D And you can share illegal music with ipods, too, even if apple tries to make it complicated. They probably think their customers are all thieves and bastards :rolleyes:

Why should Apple make it easy for people to break the law? :confused::)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrolllock wrote: »
    Why should Apple make it easy for people to break the law? :confused::)

They can't save us from going to hell against our will :p And you can kill somebody by driving a car. Shouldn't they make them the way they can't actually move? They should leave it to their customers if they use it responsibly, most of them do, most of the time. BTW why don't they sell DRM protected files on itunes anymore?
    Forum Member
    Just curious, how much you get?

£170 :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    when will the new touch be released? Will it be the 10th?
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are usually available straight away through the Apple store.. You may have to wait a few days for them to appear in other shops though.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £170 :)

Considering you can buy it new for about £200 ATM and the new ones are due out in 3 days thats a great deal.
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Considering you can buy it new for about £200 ATM and the new ones are due out in 3 days thats a great deal.

yup. I will so be ordering the new 3G iPod when its announced :D. Im getting all hyped now, few more days
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now the next generation is rolling in, time to hit those bargain bins for "last gen" ipods. :D

Here's hoping that the next nano has a better battery compared to the 4g nano - that thing didn't hold a candle against the 2g nano I lost, could run it for weeks without a charge (how I miss thee:cry:)
  • Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yup. I will so be ordering the new 3G iPod when its announced :D. Im getting all hyped now, few more days

Other than sticking a camera in it I can't really see what else they can do with it.
    Forum Member
    Well im basically paying £30 for the new 3g iPod with a camera, im happy with that
  • Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope you'll be very happy with your [new] iPod :)