anyone without Tivo noticing how the normal boxes are becoming more glitchy?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Yeah you're both being idiots now, to be fair.

Take it to the car park.
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    renno69 wrote: »
    no-one is suggesting that, do virgin pay you to troll around berating any comment that might not be in virgins favour? (been checking some of your posts)
    I am saying that MY box has become more prone to problems since tivo's arrival, now it's probably just a coincidence as i stated but maybe, whatever upgrades they implemented to support tivo on the system may not be as compatable with the older boxes and maybe causing problems, do you not think that's even a slight possibilty? and i don't suggest they'd really do it on purpose. I see you missed that i was joking when you previously quoted me, quoting me out of context lol.

Hey Renno69, care to read the above post that you wrote? i'm pretty sure you accuse me of "trolling"......:p
  • renno69renno69 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    BTW I bet you don't! :D:D
  • cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have between 40-50 hours free an my box, I did a re-format a few months ago, though I did use the DTV medic the other day and it seems tuners 1 and 2 can't equalise and my low range RF is too high but I haven't a clue what that means or what to do about it lol
    Log this as a fault and get an engineer out - they will be able to balance it.
  • kayjayrkayjayr Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Yes mine has been the same, running slow & changing channels. Also if I'm watching a recorded programme & I rewind it thinks I'm in 'delay' mode & then when I try to stop it freezes up & won't change channels & the timer is running in delay & I have to reboot it, it seems to happen on a Sunday morning around 11ish [don't know if it does it Mon - Fri as I'm at work & Sat I'm out & about early]. I thought the same thing that they're doing it on purpose so I'll upgrade to Tivo as I was one of the first to enquire & I keep getting emails but it's too expensive so I'll make do with the odd glitches for now anyway.:(
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone else is finding their boxes becoming more glitchy since Tivo came out?
    I have the SA V+ box and allthough never perfect was mostly trouble free, but since the new ones arrived, it 'seems' like it's not working as well. i.e. hanging whilst changing channels, random re-boots and missing epg's are becoming more frequent than before. Anyone else noticed this? The cynical part of me is thinking maybe it's a ploy to get me to upgrade lol, though i'm sure that's not the case, anyone any thoughts? similar experiences?
  • kayjayrkayjayr Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Yes mine has been the same, running slow & changing channels. Also if I'm watching a recorded programme & I rewind it thinks I'm in 'delay' mode & then when I try to stop it freezes up & won't change channels & the timer is running in delay & I have to reboot it, it seems to happen on a Sunday morning around 11ish [don't know if it does it Mon - Fri as I'm at work & Sat I'm out & about early]. I thought the same thing that they're doing it on purpose so I'll upgrade to Tivo as I was one of the first to enquire & I keep getting emails but it's too expensive so I'll make do with the odd glitches for now anyway. :(
    Forum Member
    cy_bones wrote: »
    Log this as a fault and get an engineer out - they will be able to balance it.

is it a serious problem? im just wondering because i'm not even sure if I should be acessing the medic as it's an engineers tool i.e. will it be classed as tampering? even though im not affecting anything by using it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it a serious problem? im just wondering because i'm not even sure if I should be acessing the medic as it's an engineers tool i.e. will it be classed as tampering? even though im not affecting anything by using it.
    Don't say that you have used the tool - just say that you are having what appears to be speed / signal problems.
    Forum Member
    there's your accusation and if you bother to reply you are just proving my point!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Having to wait on an enginner for my sumsung V+ box which is less than a year old, a major glitch in my book :(
    Forum Member
    brydo16 wrote: »
    Having to wait on an enginner for my sumsung V+ box which is less than a year old, a major glitch in my book :(

whats wrong with it?
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It keeps closing itself down.
  • geebee.ukgeebee.uk Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I don't have a TiVo box myself, but has anyone considered that in order to deliver the higher quality hd signal greater bandwidth would be required and maybe virgin are implementing some form of traffic shaping on their network to give the high end users a better quality of service!?
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably similar to the iPhone situation where you can't update the 3G software to the latest version that the 4 runs on as it slows it right done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brydo16 wrote: »

3rd box in less than a week. The original Samsung V+ kept pixellating and freezing after about a year or just under and was replaced. This second box had such a noisy hard drive that you could hear it well above quiet passages in programmes. This one was replaced the following morning and finally a box that's working properly....OK so far.
    One little criticism, why aren't the engineers fully aware of how Dolby Digital works? This guy didn't even know that different channels broadcast in varying sound formats. Ie BBC1 HD is DD whereas ITV1 HD is linear. He reckoned he'd never seen that before, which I suppose, if most of the time he's just connecting directly to a TV, is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I had 4 series links for yesterday (Wed) not one recorded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    whats wrong with it?

Engineer came ouy and it wasnt the box, It was the cable in the street, all fixed now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My box is crap as it has always been, crap after midnight as usual. But most of the time it works fine, I will still be getting TiVo soon though.
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CapricaMan wrote: »
    I had 4 series links for yesterday (Wed) not one recorded.
    It might need a re-boot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well mine has definately deteriorated since Tivo was launched.

It keeps reebooting itself, sometimes 3/4 times a day.

Once some strange codes appeared at the front and it wasn't an "err" message.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Well mine has definately deteriorated since Tivo was launched.

It keeps reebooting itself, sometimes 3/4 times a day.

Once some strange codes appeared at the front and it wasn't an "err" message.

Isn't it more likely you have a fault with either your box or connection?

Or maybe your cleaner spilled yoghurt sauce on it? ;)
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My V+ box has not been so good lately, and re-boots automatically or needs a reboot more often. Really annoying when it does this in the middle of a recording. It failed entirely to record Channel 4's 'The Killing' last week and for some reason I just could not get a continuous recording of The Bourne Supremacy or The Bourne Ultimatum - both required re-boots during the programmes - even on the +1 channels when I tried again.

To be fair, my V+ has been on continuously for a few years and we do use it to the max, with loads of series links and never more than just a few hours of recordings spare, so maybe it is on its way out.

Getting a TIVO box in a couple of weeks, so I am a happy bunny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kayjayr wrote: »
    Yes mine has been the same, running slow & changing channels. Also if I'm watching a recorded programme & I rewind it thinks I'm in 'delay' mode & then when I try to stop it freezes up & won't change channels & the timer is running in delay & I have to reboot it, it seems to happen on a Sunday morning around 11ish [don't know if it does it Mon - Fri as I'm at work & Sat I'm out & about early]. I thought the same thing that they're doing it on purpose so I'll upgrade to Tivo as I was one of the first to enquire & I keep getting emails but it's too expensive so I'll make do with the odd glitches for now anyway. :(

I have found this to happen (and long before Tivo came out).

If I "skip back" a lot, it thinks I am in delay TV mode. It might be easier to do what I do, than to reboot.

I go to "recordings" and set one in motion. You will experience the same problem, but after two or three attempts it will revert back to normal. It's easier than having to get up to reboot it and, even with the faffing around, is quicker than the 5 mins or so it takes to reboot.
    geebee.uk wrote: »
    I don't have a TiVo box myself, but has anyone considered that in order to deliver the higher quality hd signal greater bandwidth would be required and maybe virgin are implementing some form of traffic shaping on their network to give the high end users a better quality of service!?

Yes, I wondered this too. I think it can be no coincidence that all this started when Tivo did, but I don't think it's neccessarily been done on purpose.
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Isn't it more likely you have a fault with either your box or connection?

Or maybe your cleaner spilled yoghurt sauce on it? ;)

:D It could be, especially as another poster on here has said that when the engineer came it turned out to be the street cabinet. But it still seems odd that people started having these problems at the same time that Tivo came out.
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    My V+ box has not been so good lately, and re-boots automatically or needs a reboot more often. Really annoying when it does this in the middle of a recording. It failed entirely to record Channel 4's 'The Killing' last week and for some reason I just could not get a continuous recording of The Bourne Supremacy or The Bourne Ultimatum - both required re-boots during the programmes - even on the +1 channels when I tried again.

To be fair, my V+ has been on continuously for a few years and we do use it to the max, with loads of series links and never more than just a few hours of recordings spare, so maybe it is on its way out.

Getting a TIVO box in a couple of weeks, so I am a happy bunny.

Same here, maybe mine is on it's way out too.

I have just had it rebbot itself again. This time it changed one of my reminders in the list from BBC3 to channel 0! The programme title was shortened to "comedy" and the description had been changed to the forthcoming PPV boxing event.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OLD BOY wrote: »
    ...To be fair, my V+ has been on continuously for a few years and we do use it to the max, with loads of series links and never more than just a few hours of recordings spare, so maybe it is on its way out. ...
    Have you ever formatted it? It did wonders for mine!

I only formatted it twice in the 4 (roughly) years I had it but it speeded the box up and stopped the reboots. Of course, you need to set the series links again...

The problem is getting through the recordings you ant to watch! Having said that, if you're getting TiVo soon then you are probably working your way through them anyway!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Absolutely no issues here, SA V+ and 2X VHD