Replacement MP3 Player

!!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My wife's mp3 player is bust after an incident involving a handbag with a hole, a night in a rain storm and some traffic.

Sadly, we're also bloody skint. Anyone recommend a decent player or good place to pick up reconditioned/clearance or second hand stock?

She had the iRiver B3. I've got the Cowon S9. In the past we've both been fond of Creative players.

Ideally she'd like 16Gb, but that's probably out of the price range which needs to be really, really sub £100!

Comments

• Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Sandisk Sansa Clip or Sansa Fuze at the price you are looking for

Clip comes with 8gb for about £40 but you can use a 16gb micro sd card to take it up to 24gb

Gets good reviews
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Philips GoGear Raga 8GB is about £30 if you search.

Though the expandable 8GB Sansa Clip+ at £35 on Amazon is the must have buy. But ignore the £120rrp. Its never sold at that price.
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at the Sansa, that's a good deal if it takes cards. Do you know if the library on the card and the library on the player are totally integrated? (i.e. they're all the same artist and album list)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not used one but know its probably the world's most popular Rockbox compatible model.
    Sandisk certainly must do this on purpose.
    Forum Member
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    I looked at the Sansa, that's a good deal if it takes cards. Do you know if the library on the card and the library on the player are totally integrated? (i.e. they're all the same artist and album list)

I believe they are, unlike the Creative Zen for example - if you look at some of the reviews on Amazon I'm sure you will get the definitive answer
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have the Cip Zip being released next month.

I'm sure they know their massive success is in using the older high quality sound programmable chipset and thus still being Rockbox-able.
    It certainly has to be why they are the number two mp3 player manufacturer in the world.
    http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/press-room/press-releases/2011/2011-08-24-sandisk-introduces-sansa-clip-zip-mp3-player
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6YoUTCB85U

I guess they could also go to a cheap chipset but still promote the Clip+. But probably not.
  • Oxygen78Oxygen78 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    You may have thought of this already..but...does her mobile phone play MP3s?

If so, then no need to spend any extra cash, apart from maybe a micro SD card.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Blackberry. So yes, but not very well!

For some unfathomable reason she switched from great Android phones to a crappy Blackberry and seems happier. But that's another discussion.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCWorld/Currys sell the cheap & cheerful Chinese made Logik players. i've got the 4G one - which takes AAA batteries, including rechargables - but there's also ones with rechargable internal lithium cell.

These seem to be the cheapest around, and basic, but ok.

My 4G is as good as a £35 Sony! The window shows details of what's playing, you can scroll through a track, or through the different folders, etc. Basic eq settings. Delete files on the device itself. To load, just plug into computer USB port. And there's a mike, you can record (although no audio line in).............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given the microSD slot. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy a 2Gb Clip and stick in a 16Gb card, which would be the same/cheaper than buying an 8Gb Fuze?
    Forum Member
    Given the microSD slot. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy a 2Gb Clip and stick in a 16Gb card, which would be the same/cheaper than buying an 8Gb Fuze?

No reason whatsover if you are happy with the lack of video playback which you get with the Fuze
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen on the Fuze looks a bit small for video, but I'm now leaning toward a 4 or 8Gb Fuze and an SD card.

Thanks for your all help, everyone!
    Forum Member
    Screen on the Fuze looks a bit small for video, but I'm now leaning toward a 4 or 8Gb Fuze and an SD card.

Thanks for your all help, everyone!

The latest generation Fuze+ is a good player but be satisfied that you are prepared to get used to the interface which some people say is a bit fiddly in comparison to the original Fuze
  • ShallShall Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    CLIP ZIP just released basically a clip + with a small colour screen. 4 OR 8 GB with the card slot