Options

Getting Wimbledon tickets for a particular day

2»

Comments

• Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw on the news a group of people sitting together in Australia t-shirts and shouting for an Australian, how did they know that the Australian player would be there that particular day? And get seats next to each other? I guess they didn't travel over on the off chance! :)

A lot of us are asking the same thing. And why are they always at the front?

My guess is that they are Australians who live in London. I recognize a couple of the faces from previous years : the one with the Boris Johnson hair and another one with a jutting jaw who looks like he might be related to Tomic - perhaps that's a clue?

I wish they'd shut up, they're irritating. I've started a thread on them if anyone wants to give an opinion.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They probably camp overnight; after the first day you can pretty much work out who will be playing which day. They're at the front because some of the front row seats are allocated to queuers and I guess they are first in the camping queue every night.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to come back to this, I was watching The Wright Stuff this morning (intellectual I know, lol) and they were discussing that 25% of tickets go to corporate hospitality, whose clients spend hours in the tents quaffing champagne and doing business deals, and never use the seats at Centre Court! They showed a pic of a match with literally 2 or 3 people watching! It made me so angry I nearly phoned up!

I know how much a seat for a top tennis match would mean to my sister, so to hear about them being wasted in this way is sickening.

Does anyone think that as it's clearly being debated in the papers and on chat shows that Wimbledon will do something about it next year and make tickets easier to get for fans?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi
    I'm thinking of alternative presents if I can't get Wimbledon tickets and I noticed the tennis that was on today, the Davis Cup. I texted my sister to see if she was watching and she was, so I'm thinking she would like this as a present if I can't get Wimbledon.

Is it always on at this time of year and how far in advance do they know its going to be in this country to sell tickets? From googling, I get that it's the best tennis players from each country playing each other to earn points for their country, but I'm right in thinking that the British team also have to go to the other countries as well, which would be no use.

A weekend in London 2 weeks after her birthday would be an ideal present and she loves Andy Murray, but I'm trying to gauge how likely it would be to fall like this next year and when we would know?

Ive also found out there's a tennis tournament at the O2 in London before Christmas that has Andy Murray and the other famous players in it but thinking of planning something for Christmas 2016 is mind-bending! :D I also wonder if it takes the edge off a July birthday present, as in 'here's your present, but you can't use it for another 5 months!', if they even book that far ahead. So if this Davis Cup is in London again mid-July, it would be ideal as an alternative! :)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I'm thinking of alternative presents if I can't get Wimbledon tickets and I noticed the tennis that was on today, the Davis Cup. I texted my sister to see if she was watching and she was, so I'm thinking she would like this as a present if I can't get Wimbledon.

Is it always on at this time of year and how far in advance do they know its going to be in this country to sell tickets? From googling, I get that it's the best tennis players from each country playing each other to earn points for their country, but I'm right in thinking that the British team also have to go to the other countries as well, which would be no use.

A weekend in London 2 weeks after her birthday would be an ideal present and she loves Andy Murray, but I'm trying to gauge how likely it would be to fall like this next year and when we would know?

Ive also found out there's a tennis tournament at the O2 in London before Christmas that has Andy Murray and the other famous players in it but thinking of planning something for Christmas 2016 is mind-bending! :D I also wonder if it takes the edge off a July birthday present, as in 'here's your present, but you can't use it for another 5 months!', if they even book that far ahead. So if this Davis Cup is in London again mid-July, it would be ideal as an alternative! :)

The world tour finals are on at the 02 in North Greenwich from 15th to 22nd November. The semi final and finals are sold out - although you can buy tickets at resale for rip off prices on viagogo - but the Friday daytime and evening is available still as is the rest of the week. You won't know who is playing who until the day before - so there is no guarantee of seeing Murray - best route for that is buying a ticket for Queens when that goes on sale in the spring or the Davis cup.

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/tickets?aff=ATP_WEB_BATPWTF_HEADER

I would also recommend the veterans event at the Albert Hall (Statoil masters) from 2 to 6 December - much more chilled out and McEnroe and Henman are playing this year along with other famous players from the past.

As for Davis cup you never know until the draws are made and rounds are played. The assumption is the semi final tie will be in Glasgow from 18 to 20 Sept and the final could also be in GB the week after the 02 event if GB and Argentina are the finalists. If a weekend in Glasgow appeals try booking those tickets when they are released probably next month some time - then you are guaranteed to see Murray (but be quick as they may sell out quickly).

Personally for a fun tennis event and a nice present - given the lovely venue and less stressful crowds - I would recommend the Albert Hall event. The schedule and full list of players is normally issued in November and ITV4 normally broadcast it.

http://www.statoilmasterstennis.com

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The world tour finals are on at the 02 in North Greenwich from 15th to 22nd November. The semi final and finals are sold out - although you can buy tickets at resale for rip off prices on viagogo - but the Friday daytime and evening is available still as is the rest of the week. You won't know who is playing who until the day before - so there is no guarantee of seeing Murray - best route for that is buying a ticket for Queens when that goes on sale in the spring or the Davis cup.

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/tickets?aff=ATP_WEB_BATPWTF_HEADER

I would also recommend the veterans event at the Albert Hall (Statoil masters) from 2 to 6 December - much more chilled out and McEnroe and Henman are playing this year along with other players from the past.

As for Davis cup you never know until the draws are made and rounds are played. The assumption is the semi final tie will be in Glasgow from 18 to 20 Sept and the final could also be in GB the week after the 02 event if GB and Argentina are the finalists. If a weekend in Glasgow appeals try booking those tickets when they are released probably next month some time - then you are guaranteed to see Murray (but be quick as they may sell out quickly).

Personally for a fun tennis event and a nice present - given the lovely venue and less stressful crowds - I would recommend the Albert Hall event. The schedule and full list of players is normally issued in November and ITV4 normally broadcast it.

http://www.statoilmasterstennis.com

Hope that helps.

Thanks, that actually looks really good - but for the timing!

It's a 50th birthday present for next July. With it being a special birthday, my brother and I decided we wanted to upgrade from the usual bath salts and flower displays! Our first choice was to try and arrange Centre Court tickets for the actual day of her birthday (Friday 1st) and we thought by starting a year in advance we would be in a good position! We had no idea how frustrating it would be!

Looking at that Albert Hall website, I know she would love that too though, because the names like McEnroe, Pat Cash and Billie Jean King are exactly the names I heard her talk about when we were teenagers! So it would be great, but if they don't release the full schedule till November, I suppose its a bit blind if we try to arrange something by July 1st. Though she would probably know all the other names on the site even if I don't.

For the Davis Cup I'm thinking of 2016 as well, so I suppose it's way too early now tknow about the matches - but does it always happen at this time every year? I suppose even that would be moot if the GB team is playing abroad, it's just another option to consider.

Not completely dropped the Wimbledon idea, but the Albert Hall thing, if it's on in 2016, is another thing to think about so many thanks. I'll speak to my brother tomorrow as it's never to early to plan the best tennis-related present we can get! :D
    Especially if that O2 final is sold out already for this November! :o I honestly never realised tennis was so popular!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other thing I would suggest for the Wimbledon ballot is to apply from lots of different addresses. You can only submit one application per address, but if you have family/friends who aren't big tennis fans (and wouldn't grab the tickets themselves), then you can use their names/addresses to submit multiple applications in addition to the one from your own address. This increases your chances slightly.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Shappy wrote: »
    The other thing I would suggest for the Wimbledon ballot is to apply from lots of different addresses. You can only submit one application per address, but if you have family/friends who aren't big tennis fans (and wouldn't grab the tickets themselves), then you can use their names/addresses to submit multiple applications in addition to the one from your own address. This increases your chances slightly.

Problem with the ballot is you get whatever day that comes out of the ballot, & if it's not the day you want to go on then tough luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Problem with the ballot is you get whatever day that comes out of the ballot, & if it's not the day you want to go on then tough luck.

Yeah but the OP is now even considering events in November so any day of Wimbledon will be nearer her sister's actual birthday than November. Plus, any true tennis fan would be delighted to get a ticket for any Wimbledon day on any show court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but the OP is now even considering events in November so any day of Wimbledon will be nearer her sister's actual birthday than November. Plus, any true tennis fan would be delighted to get a ticket for any Wimbledon day on any show court.

I'm really hoping she changes jobs, or her boss leaves, in the next few months because it would open up the second week of Wimbledon :)
    She always had that week off before because of her birthday and the most exciting part of the tennis, but since they've moved it, it's out of bounds :(

November and December aren't ideal, but we've been racking our brains for really special presents and we keep coming back to tennis. I'm assuming that a trip in November would be nowhere near as expensive as in July, so we'd probably top it up with a nice tennis book and slip the tickets inside the jacket, so she's got something there and then, plus something extra special to look forward to :)

Wimbledon still top choice though. My brother has applied to go on The Chase so if he got on and won we might be able to afford a debenture! :D (Just not tell Bradley lol)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's a really good idea, thanks. :)

My brother and I will both apply and I'm sure we can rustle up some more in a good cause (and will keep the surprise). It's good that I've been able to post on here because my sister hates the internet and doesn't even have a computer at home, so she won't stumble on this and twig either! ;-)

Thanks all and I'll let you know how we get on :)
  • Options
    zawtowerszawtowers Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all and I'll let you know how we get on :)

Fingers crossed you manage to get something.

I've entered the Wimbledon ballot a few of times, and one of the successful ones was Centre Court for 2013 on the first Friday. Got to see Laura Robson, Jerzy Janowicz (who got to the semis) and Andy Murray, so no complaints there. The weather did its best to rain, so as you can imagine, the roof on Centre was pretty handy. The seats we were allocated was almost level with the net about half way up the bottom tier, so got a cracking view generally. (and to be fair, there's hardly any if any obstructed views in Centre either). I've not been successful every year, but I wouldn't expect to be either.

No 1 Court still has big names playing especially during the first week and even up to the quarter finals so even if you did enter the ballot and get that, there would still see some decent tennis also. Bear in mind that the roof isn't planned for that till (I think) 2017 though.

Another option which I thought worth mentioning was joining the LTA (Lawn Tennis Association). Their members have their own separate ballot for Wimbledon tickets, and membership is £25 per year unless you're a tennis club member, which is free. Note as a member you'd need to opt in to the ballot for their tickets for the Wimbledon ballot. You do also get exclusive pre-sales for the Aegon Championship at Queens Club, and the ATP World Tour Finals at the O2 as well (before the public sales), so as you mentioned those it'd maybe give you an option there too. Find out more here:

https://www3.lta.org.uk/Members/Join/

If you did manage to get Wimbledon tickets, one recommendation for staying somewhere is to stay in Croydon rather than Central London. Last time out I stayed in the Hampton by Hilton in Croydon, close to East Croydon station, which was around £55 per room per night including breakfast. In the centre of Croydon there's also Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn, Travelodge, Jurys Inn too.

In terms of travel from Manchester, it's train to Euston, tube to Victoria, then direct train to East Croydon, and you can get a single ticket for all of that pretty cheap). There's also the tramlink service from there to Wimbledon station which you can use the Oyster card on, and you can then either get the shuttle buses to the grounds or walk (walking isn't too bad and could prove to be quicker) - the other advantage is also you're not going to/from Central London and therefore avoiding the crowds.

Hope that's useful for you, and best of luck!
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,169
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    They haven't. All that stuff about tickets bought from touts not getting you in is nonsense. G4S let anyone in so long as they have a valid ticket. There are no names on the tickets (the ballot ones at least).

Exactly as we go every year we get tickets in the ballot which is usually every other year with two of us applying. There is no name on the ticket and they don't demand to see the CC used to pay etc.

What they do to stop touting is have arrangements with very resale site which then blacklists trading. Nothing to stop mates exchanging tickets but you can't put online expecting to sell for loads as with many concert or sports tickets.