Options

Windows 10

Comments

• Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got far too much light in my place now since I upgraded to 10 windows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »

Thanks for the link but I would rather wait.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucius12 wrote: »
    I am still waiting. I click on get windows 10, says days or weeks. I have found every time I click on that then go to windows updates I get a failed attempt. I have 5 failed attemps now, had 3 yesterday. I have clicked on get windows 10 twice today so another two failed messages in windows update. I even had one failed message on the 28th of July before the roll out of windows 10
    was getting the same, looked up the error code to see if there was a simple solution & seems there was something corrupt in windows update -- deleted a download folder & forced update (forget which now but it's mentioned earlier in this thread) -- windows 10 installed as if it was a windows 7 update
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure why you would wait this is an official download of Windows 10 from microsoft and it works with no issues, any risks are normal as if it was prompted at the update screen, which could be weeks you know or never.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    This has taken me around 3 hours to download and install so far
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »

those videos are complete nonsense to people who actually speak the language
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    I wonder in a months time when when they release the info of the percentages of PC's Windows 10 8 7 etc how high the windows 10 percentage will be.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to inform that there is now a thread for that Minecraft beta game for Windows 10: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=79132485
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member

Which is fine and your right, but if so why did you point out that you were kept waiting then?

If you are getting actual failures reported from Windows Update then you really need to deal with that, because it will probably waste your CPU and bandwidth retrying. Unless you perhaps go and cancel that reservation you made (theoretically that should still be possible I suppose).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    I wonder in a months time when when they release the info of the percentages of PC's Windows 10 8 7 etc how high the windows 10 percentage will be.

It's free and the upgrade IS working for far more people than not.

So a very high percentage.
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wooo, now downloading.

I noticed if I went to Windows Update, and "view update history" on the left there were 3 or 4 failed attempts to download windows 10. Easy to fix (quick google search) using the error code. And its not downloading.

Anyone who hasn't got the update yet, may be a good idea to check your "view update history" and see if there are any failed attempts

I'm getting that also.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dose windows 10 still use Windows media player,
    Also after you have upgraded to windows 10 and got it all set up are you still able to copy your music CD to laptop or external hard drive as I got some CDs that I want to recopy as they stopped working on my external hard drive after I had a minor laptop problem just over a week ago and had to reset laptop.

Darren
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got the "Your Free Windows 10 upgrade is ready" tab persistently flashing up now, but after reading through the endless lists of 'negatives' and folk having issues with certain things not running (nothing new there!).....i'm having serious reservations over installing the damn thing!

No idea if there is some time limit set on installing it but i don't relish the thought of losing anything off 8.1 which has run perfectly.

MS.....why oh why do you persist in pushing these 'upgrades' on folk? I ran with XP Pro for 10 years which was brilliant. Just the pc i had back then was well past it's sell by date! The pc i have now is only just over two years old....yet you seem determined to ruin it! >:(>:(
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cast to seems to have a problem on my laptop.

It won't shut down after using it. Have to go to task manager and end task.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

MS.....why oh why do you persist in pushing these 'upgrades' on folk? I ran with XP Pro for 10 years which was brilliant. Just the pc i had back then was well past it's sell by date! The pc i have now is only just over two years old....yet you seem determined to ruin it! >:(>:(

They aren't. It's your choice if you want it.

Windows 10 is an improved and quicker version...why wouldn't you want it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Just got the "Your Free Windows 10 upgrade is ready" tab persistently flashing up now, but after reading through the endless lists of 'negatives' and folk having issues with certain things not running (nothing new there!).....i'm having serious reservations over installing the damn thing!

No idea if there is some time limit set on installing it but i don't relish the thought of losing anything off 8.1 which has run perfectly.

There's a 1 year time limit (at least to upgrade for free). So if you're really that worried, take that (or slightly less so you aren't scrambling the last day). Or don't upgrade at all if you must. Windows 8 end of support life isn't until January 10, 2023. You have time.

Your assumption that the whole world is screaming over bad Win 10 upgrades is incorrect however. Not to say it's 100% smooth, or even any specific percentage, but it's been okay for a surprisingly large number of people--at least anecdotally the talk suggests that rather than massive chaos.

The people where it doesn't work seem to tend to have either specific brands of PCs, or a few specific motherboards/chipset combos, although of course there are also a million other possibilities even "mighty" MS couldn't plan for, like people trying to upgrade while they have a Virus or Trojans on their system. Or people running all kinds of system level utilities that run memory resident. Or people having illegal copies of Windows and not remembering they do. Etc.

Take your time, sure. But don't conclude this has been a disaster for MS. It hasn't been.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't close crashed programs of which there are many, even when you bring up the task manager and end program . Cortana doesn't work. i'm rolling back to 7 until they know what they're doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    It doesn't close crashed programs of which there are many, even when you bring up the task manager and end program . Cortana doesn't work. i'm rolling back to 7 until they know what they're doing.

Are any of these programs unusual? Custom ones, really old ones, ones using old runtimes, system utilities, or games? Or are they really standard things everyone might have?

As for Cortana, I think we've hammered that one elsewhere. You may need to change the language and location to US English, reboot, change it to UK English (presuming you are indeed in the UK), then reboot again.

Also: Viruses and Trojans. A big part of me thinks MS should have included an aggressive up to date scan for them as part of the upgrade process. Because I find myself wondering how many people have been upgrading infected systems.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 million Insiders to 1 billion, almost overnight. What a club.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    There's a 1 year time limit (at least to upgrade for free). So if you're really that worried, take that (or slightly less so you aren't scrambling the last day). Or don't upgrade at all if you must. Windows 8 end of support life isn't until January 10, 2023.
    By which time i'll no doubt have replaced this pc with another new one......which will come with 10 installed.....or maybe by then 15 or whatever!

Not so sure about 'not being a disaster for MS'. I think that's far too early to conclude that yet! I still remember when Vista came out which proved disastrous for MS particularly when one of their major purchasers, Dell (US), refused to accept Vista as customers simply wouldn't buy so MS continued to supply Dell (US) with XP.

Long after Vista entered the UK market, the only place you could still buy a new pc with XP was from the US.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

Sounds like a revamped 8.
    Sticking with 7
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've got far too much light in my place now since I upgraded to 10 windows.

Glass windows I assume? :D This is the thread for the Microsoft variety...
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Dose windows 10 still use Windows media player,
    Also after you have upgraded to windows 10 and got it all set up are you still able to copy your music CD to laptop or external hard drive as I got some CDs that I want to recopy as they stopped working on my external hard drive after I had a minor laptop problem just over a week ago and had to reset laptop.

Darren

Yes Windows Media Player is still there, so you can still rip your CDs.

It's version 12, which is the same version as in Windows 8 (I think). Only difference is that it now plays FLAC files natively.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 million Insiders to 1 billion, almost overnight. What a club.

not quite at the billion yet...
    http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/07/30/windows-10-the-first-24-hours/