Sky Sports - 20 Years

Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
Forum Member
I assume, given the repetitive adverts, that Sky are going to make 'a big thing' of their upcoming 20th Birthday... anybody have any ideas or, indeed, know what they might be planning?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    I assume, given the repetitive adverts, that Sky are going to make 'a big thing' of their upcoming 20th Birthday... anybody have any ideas or, indeed, know what they might be planning?

No idea but it'll cover kissing the arse of Man Utd, Phil Taylor, and Freddie Flintoff whilst ignoring all sports they dont have the rights to.
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,719
    Forum Member
    There's a series of programmes called the Sky Sports Years. First one is tomorrow I think, from 1991.
  • LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »
    No idea but it'll cover kissing the arse of Man Utd, Phil Taylor, and Freddie Flintoff whilst ignoring all sports they dont have the rights to.
    Bitter as a pint of guinness!

Sky Sports Years is on tomorrow at 6.30pm and 10.30pm on Sky Sports 1. Looking at 1991, should be good and nostalgic like the Premier League Years.
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they should do, but probably won't, is give us all 1 month at 1991 price ;)

I would like to see some of the original presenters reunited for an evening of nostalgia on the actual launch date.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they should do, but probably won't, is give us all 1 month at 1991 price ;)

£2.99 a month introductory offer I think it was. :p £5.99 full price! If only!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Did anyone have Sky in the early days and what was the schedule like
  • soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    managed to find this little gem on youtube, should bring back memories for those who joined on April 1st 1991
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lHqQtoHFlU
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QuincyMD wrote: »

Dont even mention Flintoff he completely ruined the darts commentry yet they made him sound wonderfull :mad:
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

That was cheap! In a way it's a shame it's not as cheap now.
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to these old programs. I know im not the only one but I used to prefer Sky in the early days with 1994-1995 being a peak for it's presentation.

Due to needing to be noticed all the idents seemed so big, bold and very memorable. The Football was awesome with GOAL being animated between each replay and the updated score being zoomed on the screen.

Then suddenly from 97onwards (when Newcastle played Man Utd in the Charity Shield and lost 4-0 and then won the next game against Man Utd with a stunning goal by Philipe Albert) they seemed to try and become more reserved. Their colour scheme of yellow/dark yellow was awesome but suddenly they tried to become 'Great Britain' with white, blue and red.
    Perhaps a part of it is nostalgia but they seemed to declare themselves to the world with a bang and then have progressively tried to become less brash and have sorta met stations like ITV and BBC halfway.
    These days you dont seem to notice they'r part of a BSKYB Satelite Network and just seems like they'r another channel on Cable.
    Perhaps this is because they now have too many exclusives? Dunno. But back then it seemed like the beginnign of every program was like a film about to start.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    The channel idents have changed.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Strange to see Richard Keys and Sue Barker 20 years back.

Does look like they're on TVAM or similar

And Eddie Hemmings doing footy coverage.
  • wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    The only thing worth boasting about is Sky Sports is home to WWE wrestling which is infact..........the longest running contract BSkyB has. It is their longest running contract, longer than any other sport or TV show that was there since it debuted in this country.
  • Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the program and what a cracker it was! Loved seeing Sky Sports before we would get it a few years later. Really interesting to see all the footage and dressing room footage too - something I hear ESPN tried to do for the FA Cup this year.
    Seems that most of their football was from the Zenith Data Systems and League cups?? Very cool nonetheless.

Also interesting they have a presenter like Sue Barker. These days you'd have a glossy woman with makeup and stylish clothes. This goes for society in general though where these days no one can seemingly exit the house without looking like they'r going to a party.

Loved how they seem to not try to appeal to everyone in those days, like when Richard Keys introduced the 'Footballers Football show' and said if anyone has a passing interest in it then its probably not the show for you. Loved the readers letters too - imagine a show like this nowadays?
    Plus because Football had more native players in those days, it had more characters of the time as opposed to now where they have to wheel out old stars such as Paul Merson as you wouldnt see the likes of Grimandi, Bergkamp, Asprilla on a soccer chat show because they'r now back in their native country. A game like Darts seems to be more or less the same as it was years ago and thus its got far more character because they can have great chats with people like Phil Taylor. Foreign players have desensitized the game in England I have to say. Been too much of an influence on our game and programs like this prove it really.

Back then though you'd have Vinny Jones on and because he was still playing, the banter he had with people - bringing that Crazy Gang humour onto TV if you like - was superb. Anyways...

Interesting how they had that chat about the Premier League too with Gordon Taylor and a very young Alan Hansen! If the Premier League hadnt come to pass I think Sky Sports would still have succeeded but maybe Football would be more 'real' than it is now.
    What Gordon Taylor said though has come true...it took a while but it eventually happened. However I doubt anyone saw the mass globalisation of the game and the severly limited chances for native British Players.

Loved watching this though - perhaps a large part of it is to do with nostalgia because back then, Sky was this really new thing but I just love the whole feel of it.
  • brunobrookesbrunobrookes Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This tells you all you need to know. Over twenty years sports rights gobbled up by Sky with the cost passed directly onto the consumer. How Skyfans view this as fair is beyond me.

5.99 in 1991 prices is 10 pounds today. How much is the SS subscription? At least 20?
  • wirelessonewirelessone Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Although no-one would criticise Sky for its in-depth coverage of football/cricket rugby etc, it's been at the expense of dumbing down in a typical Murdoch/Sun reader/tabloid newspaper type way.

Anyone over 30 will remember watching sports coverage without having scores permanatly rammed down your throat. I don't recall any clamour for this at the time.

more examples...

Having team colours shown. Sorry, even if they covered 2 obscure teams in a football game, would it not take merely a couple of minutes to work out who was playing and which team was in what colour?

In snooker having the player highlighted when they take a shot on a permamantly displayed scoreboard. Again, a minute to work out for any viewer?

In darts, flexing your brain to work out what out-shot a player would need without this being shown. Even down to the last 2 darts!

Yes you do not have to use any part of your brain to watch Sky's coverage.

People may say this is a good thing, I don't. Producers must think they are broadcasing to 4 year-olds who have no short-term memory and no knowledge of what they are watching.

Please bring back the common-sense approach to coverage that was in evidence before Sky started, ie let the pictures do the talking.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    In darts, flexing your brain to work out what out-shot a player would need without this being shown. Even down to the last 2 darts!
    The BBC is worse. They show the dart number and the individual score.
  • Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing worth boasting about is Sky Sports is home to WWE wrestling which is infact..........the longest running contract BSkyB has. It is their longest running contract, longer than any other sport or TV show that was there since it debuted in this country.

Rugby League has been the longest running contract as well. It was broadcast by Sky from the off, continuing the deal that had been in place on the proceeding BSB Sport Channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    What was the first ever programme broadcast on Sky Sports?
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    kwscott wrote: »
    Did anyone have Sky in the early days and what was the schedule like

We did a my house. Have had it since the BSB days so I remember the sports channel.
  • hessy2hessy2 Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first programme was called "This is Sky Sports". The You tube clip from earlier is this thread shows the start of it.

I believe it started at 2pm on Saturday 20th April.
  • DJ RaggyDJ Raggy Posts: 261
    Forum Member

That wasn't the only wrestling on any of the Sky channels - If I remember correctly, Sky Sports also showed the old WCW (NWA) Power Hour and WCW Worldwide Wrestling programmes in their early days...
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having team colours shown. Sorry, even if they covered 2 obscure teams in a football game, would it not take merely a couple of minutes to work out who was playing and which team was in what colour?

In snooker having the player highlighted when they take a shot on a permamantly displayed scoreboard. Again, a minute to work out for any viewer?

But why spend a minute or two working it out when you can get the information in a second or two after switching over? At the expense of a little screen space that would otherwise be showing the side of a snooker table, the stomach of a darts player or a shot of the crowd?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This tells you all you need to know. Over twenty years sports rights gobbled up by Sky with the cost passed directly onto the consumer. How Skyfans view this as fair is beyond me.

5.99 in 1991 prices is 10 pounds today. How much is the SS subscription? At least 20?

£22.50 a month on virgin media without the red button function.:eek::eek:
  • pjcd1970pjcd1970 Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexsteve wrote: »
    £22.50 a month on virgin media without the red button function.:eek::eek:
    £29.50 if you want SS 1&2 in HD :eek:
    I don't subscribe any more! (Although a good mate lets me access their Sky Player account via our Xbox ;))