Options

School Closed for Teacher's Shopping

1235»

Comments

• Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you're saying.

We don't work 365 days. Teachers who strike are missing a greater proportion of their working year than just 1/365 so it makes no sense to pay them for time that they haven't done. That's the stance that my school is taking and I agree. I had no idea that it was done like that elsewhere.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not actually true. From the email received from my union yesterday:

'For teachers this will be based on 1/365 of their annual salary.'

Which tends to indicate that teachers are paid for holidays.

Not being paid for holidays appears to be merely a Union concept.

This link also seems to indicate the same

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/110184.stm
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    We don't work 365 days. Teachers who strike are missing a greater proportion of their working year than just 1/365 so it makes no sense to pay them for time that they haven't done. That's the stance that my school is taking and I agree. I had no idea that it was done like that elsewhere.

I'm not sure how your school is paying things differently unless they're an academy or private?

Pay and conditions for teachers in the state sector is the same across the country - that's kind of the whole point of the teachers' pay and conditions document.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

I really have no idea. I think it would be impossible to prove one way or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure how your school is paying things differently unless they're an academy or private?

Pay and conditions for teachers in the state sector is the same across the country - that's kind of the whole point of the teachers' pay and conditions document.

I'm not in a normal state school. Although it tends to follow the norm it does vary occasionally in small matters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not in a normal state school. Although it tends to follow the norm it does vary occasionally in small matters.

How have they managed that? :confused: it must be an academy of sorts. Or a free school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As far as I can tell that link says that they wanted us to work more of our holidays and in return get paid more. Suggesting that as we work more hours we get more pay... suggesting that we aren't paid for holidays.

Somewhere around page 100 in the handbook is the document that states we are paid for, specifically, 1265 hours. How does holiday pay factor into that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How have they managed that? :confused: it must be an academy of sorts. Or a free school.

I don't mean to be rude or evasive but I don't want to say, I'd rather not identify myself by being specific.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mean to be rude or evasive but I don't want to say, I'd rather not identify myself by being specific.

Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I did. I think our pay is fair. YOU said that we're overpaid.

I said that you would be overpaid if you were only paid for 39weeks. I don't think that your annual salary is excessive as I appreciate that most of you do work a lot of unpaid hours.

NB. Do you have a link to a non union document that states that you are not paid for hoilidays.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    All this fuss for one teacher? :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said that you would be overpaid if you were only paid for 39weeks. I don't think that your annual salary is excessive as I appreciate that most of you do work a lot of unpaid hours.

I don't know what to say to that, I think we're going around in circles :confused: Your two sentences seem to say the same thing. By your 39 week standard our annual salary covers the "lot of unpaid hours"... so if we were only paid for 39 weeks (which we are, more or less) you acknowledge that we deserve it for the unpaid hours. The other weeks in the year are irrelevant, surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

NB. Do you have a link to a non union document that states that you are not paid for hoilidays.

I have a link to a Department of Education document that states we are paid to work 1265 hours, yes. We don't have directed time in the holidays so by the very definition we can't be paid for it. Do you want me to find that link?

EDIT: Going out for tea :) Will be back later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a link to a Department of Education document that states we are paid to work 1265 hours, yes. We don't have directed time in the holidays so by the very definition we can't be paid for it. Do you want me to find that link?

EDIT: Going out for tea :) Will be back later.

Every salaried job requires the employee to be present at work for a certain number of hours.

You are paid to work 1265 hours, based on when schools are open. You have long holidays because the schools are closed for 13 weeks. I am sure that your annual salary takes into account the hours that you work outside school hours.

Not being paid for hoilidays is a Union concept.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full-time permanent teachers do receive pay during holidays, and as I said earlier, their salaries are paid in twelve more or less equal monthly instalments.

However, the situation for those on temporary contracts operates somewhat differently:
    Rules for Daily Salary Rates

The Document requires that supply teachers engaged for the whole day must be paid 1/195th of the annual salary rate to which they would be entitled if they were employed in the post full-time.

This means that their position on the teachers’ pay spine must be calculated according to the usual rules for incremental credit for qualifications and years of experience.

They will not receive any salary during holiday periods but, as full-time teachers work for 195 days a year, supply teachers’ daily salary rate of 1/195 includes an element for “holiday pay”.
    http://www.glosnut.co.uk/docs/supplypayetc.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Full-time permanent teachers do receive pay during holidays, and as I said earlier, their salaries are paid in twelve more or less equal monthly instalments.

However, the situation for those on temporary contracts operates somewhat differently:

http://www.glosnut.co.uk/docs/supplypayetc.pdf

I'd have thought it was obvious that teachers received pay for at least a portion of their holidays, the same as most other workers who accrue holiday as they work. I have no idea how much of the 13 weeks is paid or unpaid. As I said, it would be hard to prove (in my opinion - but I don't have a head for numbers or business - this is why I teach maths...*)

*obviously a joke :D
  • Options
    sofieellissofieellis Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids' secondary school always has a day off just before Christmas, which is always unofficially referred to as "Teachers' Christmas Shopping Day". It's been going for as long as I can remember, and the teachers all head off to neighbouring towns to buy their pressies, so as not to bump into students!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot understand why anyone would NEED to have a day off during the working week to do Christmas shopping:confused:
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite acceptable for teachers to be paid for their holidays, considering that most of them do actually work during the holidays, marking and preparing material and suchlike.

If you really want to get stuck into holiday freeloaders, may I suggest MPs?
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not out of the ordinary, I went to a catholic school, and we would always have a day off either December 1st, 2nd or 3rd for Christmas shopping day.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought it was obvious that teachers received pay for at least a portion of their holidays, the same as most other workers who accrue holiday as they work. I have no idea how much of the 13 weeks is paid or unpaid. As I said, it would be hard to prove (in my opinion - but I don't have a head for numbers or business - this is why I teach maths...*)

*obviously a joke :D
    None of the thirteen weeks is unpaid, since teachers with permanent contracts receive an annual salary that includes payment for holidays. I know of nothing in teachers' conditions of service that suggests that part of the holiday period is unpaid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    None of the thirteen weeks is unpaid, since teachers with permanent contracts receive an annual salary that includes payment for holidays.

Thanks, as I said, I'd always assumed holidays were paid. :)
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofieellis wrote: »
    My kids' secondary school always has a day off just before Christmas, which is always unofficially referred to as "Teachers' Christmas Shopping Day". It's been going for as long as I can remember, and the teachers all head off to neighbouring towns to buy their pressies, so as not to bump into students!

thank you for that, i dont know why some people on here are so nasty and call you a liar when only posting what you understand to be true
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member

Permanent members of teaching staff have an annual salary. It's easier for the authorities to pay them 1/12th monthly whether that month is the shortest February or a longer one like August - there are very few data changes to input into their computer programmes. It's cheaper.

Single day deductions are 1/365th.

If teachers were not paid like that, they would still be paid the same overall but earn more of their set annual salary at times when schools are open.

However that would mean the local authoriites couldn't earn bank interest on the bulk of the money for teachers' salaries every day, except 12 paydays, throughout the year.

Non-permanent staff are paid annual salary divided by number of pupil contact days, which means a supply teacher often earns more per day worked than the teacher he/she is replacing.