Options

Was EastEnders Twitney destined to be a fail with viewers?

Comments

• Options
    Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney - Carol & Liam
    Tyler - Michael

I liked Tylers mini friendship with patrick but it seems to have been forgotten.
  • Options
    IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Tylers mini friendship with patrick but it seems to have been forgotten.

That was quite nice as well, forgot about by TPTB apparently
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    I liked Whitney. I was always rooting for her. Underneath everything she was a sweet girl who loved her family, who was taken advantage of and - like a lot of young adults - made a lot of mistakes. But before they ruined her she was able to own her mistakes and always took responsibility. When she hooked up with Fat Boy, I was delighted. I have a soft spot for Fat Boy too, and I could see these two complimenting each other. Fat Boy is from a respectable family but trying to be 'street', while Whitney is from a lower class family trying to find a little respectability. They could have worked so well together, and over time they would have given each other what the other was lacking: Whitney some self-respect and Fat Boy a sense of responsibility. They would have stopped being caricatures (the troubled teenage girl; the wise-cracking street boy) and become characters.

So naturally EE f**ked it up and went the other way. They're now reinforced caricatures and they're dumb. Fat Boy works when he's in the background, Whitney doesn't seem to work at all. There's glimpses of the old Whitney when she's with her family, but they put her there so rarely that it's not working. It's a chore to watch. And Tyler's just not that great. In the last two episodes he was in, did he even get lines? I know he was just sitting in the kitchen in the last ep he appeared in. But that being said: there was absolutely nothing said about Whitney kissing another guy. Tyler was just trotted out to make the kitchen look a bit fuller; to give Carol a reason to smile. Bah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally voted on my own poll!

I liked the idea of Fatboy and Whitney but I wouldnt desire as a viewer that he now takes her back.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really think the Producers thought they were gonna become the next big supercouple for the show but its obvious they have realised now that they are a fail, I know Tyler hasnt been seen recently but it seems they never show them together no more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I really think the Producers thought they were gonna become the next big supercouple for the show but its obvious they have realised now that they are a fail, I know Tyler hasnt been seen recently but it seems they never show them together no more.

Clearly Tyler had some time of because they had to write around Tony Disciplines trial and the uncertain outcome but even before this their scenes together have been rare and short when they do occur.Ive never bought them as a couple-only teenagers or some of them seem to buy them as a couple and sadly I think they were more aimed at appealing to them than anything else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the awful love triangle storyline has guaranteed that the characters of Tyler and Whitney are extremly time limited.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think EastEnders, particularly Kirkwood, wanted Titney to be the best big IT couple. The lines they got and the amount of exposure both couples received in the early days of their relationship said it all. I remember their first scene with Whitney slapping him the cafe and Tyler replying with "I'm going to marry that girl someday". I knew then where EE were going with this. They really wanted them to be the next power couple, a couple an audience can root for and really get behind, except it didn't happen.

First things first, you need actual chemistry with Tyler and Whitney they lacked the fundamental ingredient and still do. There is no spark of buzz between them.

I know Whitney isn't met with the greatest comments on DS but I do think her character has substance and potential. I mean I don't particularly like her but when given the right material (Tony stuff, and the story with her prostitution last year), she can be good. I also think she has a nice chemistry with Patsy and her onscreen family. It is her romantic life in EastEnders that I find a turn off.

Tyler on the other hand is completely pointless. Just a pretty face, not that I particularly find him attractive but you can see that he was hired simply to inject some male testosterone into the square and fill up the male quota. He's been in the show for nearly two years now and I can't say I've felt moved by a single scene he's been in.

As a pair they don't work and I'm not sure I can blame one or even both of the actors for this because chemistry is one of those things that you either have or you don't. It's not really about the acting but whether two actors can connect on screen and in the process enables the audience to actually believe in them. For example I don't think Sid Owen was the best actor in the world (Ricky Butcher) but he does have chemistry with Patsy (Bianca). Tony and Shona, just don't have any. Surely after a screen test the showrunners should have seen that, instead of trying to convince the audience that they’re the next big thing.
    It's like the writers want to recapture that 'Shannis' vibe that had so many of us on tenterhooks back in the day.

I was a hardcore Shannis fan and I'm not feeling Lauren and Tyler.

I can see why they have a fanbase though. Forbidden love stories do tend to fare well on EastEnders and I do think Lauren and Joey have *something* even if I'm not feeling it at all. I do think the amount of promo they've had for this romance has been a bit ridiculous though. No body likes things forced upon them and I think with new characters and new couples especially, tptb should just wait and see how the audience feels and takes to them before painting them as the new IT couple. I think the only time huge promo for a couple worked for Kat and Alfie, and that's because Shane and Jessie were pretty much in the spotlight anyway and Kat back then was already established as an EastEnders icon through “You aint my muvva”. The audience were rooting for her happiness with the ‘the man in the moon’.

With the likes of Sharon and Dennis and Christian and Syed, they've developed huge fan followings because it was a natural organic development. Nothing was shoved in our faces and the audience were not expected to care. The best part was, I doubt EE even anticipated such large followings at the time, which made the process and development all the more natural. It's always nice to feel something over a particular character or couple when it's not expected of you. EastEnders or soaps in general can't pick and choose which characters or couples we're supposed to love. If BK thought shoving the Moon brothers in our faces we'd love them, just because he wanted us to, then he's failed epically.

TBH, I think this is where alot of his shortcomings as an executive came from and the failure in his rein. He wanted us to love HIS characters to inflate his own ego but I'll stop there because I'll be going on an endless Kirkwood rant. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I think EastEnders, particularly Kirkwood, wanted Titney to be the best big IT couple. The lines they got and the amount of exposure both couples received in the early days of their relationship said it all. I remember their first scene with Whitney slapping him the cafe and Tyler replying with "I'm going to marry that girl someday". I knew then where EE were going with this. They really wanted them to be the next power couple, a couple an audience can root for and really get behind, except it didn't happen.

First things first, you need actual chemistry with Tyler and Whitney they lacked the fundamental ingredient and still do. There is no spark of buzz between them.

I know Whitney isn't met with the greatest comments on DS but I do think her character has substance and potential. I mean I don't particularly like her but when given the right material (Tony stuff, and the story with her prostitution last year), she can be good. I also think she has a nice chemistry with Patsy and her onscreen family. It is her romantic life in EastEnders that I find a turn off.

Tyler on the other hand is completely pointless. Just a pretty face, not that I particularly find him attractive but you can see that he was hired simply to inject some male testosterone into the square and fill up the male quota. He's been in the show for nearly two years now and I can't say I've felt moved by a single scene he's been in.

As a pair they don't work and I'm not sure I can blame one or even both of the actors for this because chemistry is one of those things that you either have or you don't. It's not really about the acting but whether two actors can connect on screen and in the process enables the audience to actually believe in them. For example I don't think Sid Owen was the best actor in the world (Ricky Butcher) but he does have chemistry with Patsy (Bianca). Tony and Shona, just don't have any. Surely after a screen test the showrunners should have seen that, instead of trying to convince the audience that they’re the next big thing.

I was a hardcore Shannis fan and I'm not feeling Lauren and Tyler.

I can see why they have a fanbase though. Forbidden love stories do tend to fare well on EastEnders and I do think Lauren and Joey have *something* even if I'm not feeling it at all. I do think the amount of promo they've had for this romance has been a bit ridiculous though. No body likes things forced upon them and I think with new characters and new couples especially, tptb should just wait and see how the audience feels and takes to them before painting them as the new IT couple. I think the only time huge promo for a couple worked for Kat and Alfie, and that's because Shane and Jessie were pretty much in the spotlight anyway and Kat back then was already established as an EastEnders icon through “You aint my muvva”. The audience were rooting for her happiness with the ‘the man in the moon’.

With the likes of Sharon and Dennis and Christian and Syed, they've developed huge fan followings because it was a natural organic development. Nothing was shoved in our faces and the audience were not expected to care. The best part was, I doubt EE even anticipated such large followings at the time, which made the process and development all the more natural. It's always nice to feel something over a particular character or couple when it's not expected of you. EastEnders or soaps in general can't pick and choose which characters or couples we're supposed to love. If BK thought shoving the Moon brothers in our faces we'd love them, just because he wanted us to, then he's failed epically.

TBH, I think this is where alot of his shortcomings as an executive came from and the failure in his rein. He wanted us to love HIS characters to inflate his own ego but I'll stop there because I'll be going on an endless Kirkwood rant. :o

An excellent and thoughtful post.To this day I cant work out why the lack of chemistry between Tony and shona wasnt picked up in screen tests or in the early days of Tyler being on the show.Tonys an attractive guy and i have a gut suspicion that Kirkwood quite fancied him and that clouded his judgement in terms of sticking to the big romance storyline for them despite it being obvious it wasnt working.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent and thoughtful post.To this day I cant work out why the lack of chemistry between Tony and shona wasnt picked up in screen tests or in the early days of Tyler being on the show.Tonys an attractive guy and i have a gut suspicion that Kirkwood quite fancied him and that clouded his judgement in terms of sticking to the big romance storyline for them despite it being obvious it wasnt working.
    I think it was just about inflating his own ego and that's it. When looking back on Kirkwoods rein, I see that he shoved all of HIS characters to the forefront. New Lucy, New Ben, New Lauren, Derek, Tyler, Anthony, Eddie, Kat and Alfie. These are all characters he bought into the show and used them to put his stamp on the show. He wanted them to be hits so viewers could applaud and praise him for his oh so awesome work. :rolleyes: I always got the impression that Kirkwood never really cared about the show but just wanted plaudits for his creations and storylines, even if they didn't make sense or were particularly interesting. In the case of Tyler and Whitney, he needed a power couple because Stacey and Bradders were gone, and the show was lacking a fresh young couple, not that I think EE particularly needed one. In the last decade only two young couples spring to mind that were natural and a success with audiences, which were Bradely and Stacey and Sonia and Jamie.

Like you, it's beggars believe why Tony and Shona didn't have a screentest, well that's assuming they didn't. They may well have had one and they all saw something we didn't, or at least wanted to. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I think it was just about inflating his own ego and that's it. When looking back on Kirkwoods rein, I see that he shoved all of HIS characters to the forefront. New Lucy, New Ben, New Lauren, Derek, Tyler, Anthony, Eddie, Kat and Alfie. These are all characters he bought into the show and used them to put his stamp on the show. He wanted them to be hits so viewers could applaud and praise him for his oh so awesome work. :rolleyes: I always got the impression that Kirkwood never really cared about the show but just wanted plaudits for his creations and storylines, even if they didn't make sense or were particularly interesting. In the case of Tyler and Whitney, he needed a power couple because Stacey and Bradders were gone, and the show was lacking a fresh young couple, not that I think EE particularly needed one. In the last decade only two young couples spring to mind that were natural and a success with audiences, which were Bradely and Stacey and Sonia and Jamie.

Like you, it's beggars believe why Tony and Shona didn't have a screentest, well that's assuming they didn't. They may well have had one and they all saw something we didn't, or at least wanted to. :sleep:

I think the only one he didnt do this with was Vanessa and arguably she was the one if anyone he should have promoted more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority opinion seems to be they were never going to work?How and Why did well paid bosses judge this so wrong?
  • Options
    HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitney is such a damaged and tragic character. It's understandable the show would want her to finally find love and be happy.

So who do they pair her with? A womanising, violent meat-head.

They really thought that one through didn't they? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    Whitney is such a damaged and tragic character. It's understandable the show would want her to finally find love and be happy.

So who do they pair her with? A womanising, violent meat-head.

They really thought that one through didn't they? :rolleyes:

After having her cheat of the kind, caring soul that is Fatboy with said meat-head.

They seem to be going out of their way to ruin Whitney's character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    After having her cheat of the kind, caring soul that is Fatboy with said meat-head.

They seem to be going out of their way to ruin Whitney's character.

I think the idea was they redeemed each other-the damaged victim unlucky in love having a serial womaniser superstud tame his ways against his own expectations because he falls in love and rescues her.A bad idea but i think that was their thinking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the idea was they redeemed each other-the damaged victim unlucky in love having a serial womaniser superstud tame his ways against his own expectations because he falls in love and rescues her.A bad idea but i think that was their thinking.

I agree, though as Hankshaw said they clearly didn't think things through. They come across as an unlikeable couple.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I agree, though as Hankshaw said they clearly didn't think things through. They come across as an unlikeable couple.

There's more chemistry between Derek and Tyler than Whitney and Tyler. They looked very cosy snuggled up on the sofa watching Top Gear together.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    There's more chemistry between Derek and Tyler than Whitney and Tyler. They looked very cosy snuggled up on the sofa watching Top Gear together.:o

Very true :D
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just want Tyler to find out about what happened between Tadpole and Whitless and then dump Whitless and punch Tadpole in the face again :), so we can be spared this rubbish couple. Personally, I do think they have some chemistry, but it's the fact that there is no depth to the relationship at all. Chemistry alone isn't enough to carry a relationship onscreen, you need drama which comes from the depth in the relationship. And the fact that we've hardly seen them as a couple since they got together months ago pretty much says it all. The writers just had no clue what to do with them once they got together.

Also, looking at the EE spoilers over the next two weeks, there doesn't seem to be any mention of Twitney AT ALL :o. Looks like the tedium of Joey and Lauren will be taking centre stage now. No mention of this car crash involving the teens either. I wonder how that all comes about.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a number of reasons:
    Firstly... Tyler. Maybe this type of character works in Hollyoaks. A show with a very specific audience who hire actors for their looks. BK stuffed the show full of "goodlooking" teens and gave them hardly any depth between them. He's a cardboard cut out and immensely boring. I geniunley don't think anybody cares who he happens to be bonking at the moment in time. And what annoys me is IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS. Give him a storyline about being a failed boxer. Give him a dodgy dealings situation. Give him ANYTHING. But no.
    Secondly... Whitney. Possibly the most unlikable character in the whole show. The perpetual victim. The one who pretty much everyone is just sick of.
    Thirdly... she leaves a bloke who worships the ground she walks on and goes out with the first goodlooking pleb that comes along. How are we, as an audience, supposed to like her for this? I mean, sure, if Janine did this it would be entertaining because we EXPECT that from her. The writers WANT us to hate her. With Whitney, it seems that want us to feel sorry for her, To accept that she's a little ****. And that's the problem. See... we don't.
    Put these two characters together... and you end up with a big steaming pile of nobody cares. Then, continuously shove them into the lime light and it only bugs people all the more. Didn't BK say they were the next Den and Angie or something? Come on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    There was a number of reasons:
    Firstly... Tyler. Maybe this type of character works in Hollyoaks. A show with a very specific audience who hire actors for their looks. BK stuffed the show full of "goodlooking" teens and gave them hardly any depth between them. He's a cardboard cut out and immensely boring. I geniunley don't think anybody cares who he happens to be bonking at the moment in time. And what annoys me is IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS. Give him a storyline about being a failed boxer. Give him a dodgy dealings situation. Give him ANYTHING. But no.
    Secondly... Whitney. Possibly the most unlikable character in the whole show. The perpetual victim. The one who pretty much everyone is just sick of.
    Thirdly... she leaves a bloke who worships the ground she walks on and goes out with the first goodlooking pleb that comes along. How are we, as an audience, supposed to like her for this? I mean, sure, if Janine did this it would be entertaining because we EXPECT that from her. The writers WANT us to hate her. With Whitney, it seems that want us to feel sorry for her, To accept that she's a little ****. And that's the problem. See... we don't.
    Put these two characters together... and you end up with a big steaming pile of nobody cares. Then, continuously shove them into the lime light and it only bugs people all the more. Didn't BK say they were the next Den and Angie or something? Come on.

Excellently and colourfully put! I dont get the EPs logic that we were suposed to root for Whitney during this storyline.Epic fail as they say.
  • Options
    ameewameew Posts: 2,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two of them have very poor chemistry and Fatboy was a far more obvious choice to being the guy that could heal Whitney and bring her some happiness, like Alfie did with Kat. Before they even got established as a couple, Tyler was pushed into the mix and the whole thing was rammed down our throats.

Tyler, I think should be given another chance by showing him a lot more with his family of Michael and Alfie. Whitney,I dont know.There are only so many scenes they can do with her and Bianca/Tiff. I prefer Lauren and Lucy without her and Janines gone at the minute
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ameew wrote: »
    The two of them have very poor chemistry and Fatboy was a far more obvious choice to being the guy that could heal Whitney and bring her some happiness, like Alfie did with Kat. Before they even got established as a couple, Tyler was pushed into the mix and the whole thing was rammed down our throats.

Tyler, I think should be given another chance by showing him a lot more with his family of Michael and Alfie. Whitney,I dont know.There are only so many scenes they can do with her and Bianca/Tiff. I prefer Lauren and Lucy without her and Janines gone at the minute

I personally think Whitney is toast and I wouldnt be surprised if her exit is already planned.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I personally think Whitney is toast and I wouldnt be surprised if her exit is already planned.

Here's hoping. Add Tyler to that too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Whitney's beyond salvaging. I've seen many posts that mention Whitney is only good when she's with her family. Soaps base most storylines around the characters' love lives. It doesn't bode well for Whitney that so many viewers are sick to the back teeth of her relationship issues.