Does this quote perfectly describe modern conservatives?

Comments

• MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    While most people want for themselves they usually are not so wacko that they would actually wish that others become worse off.

Certainly many on the left wish to significantly put up taxes on higher earners to levels approaching 90%. Maybe it is those people you are thinking of - they wish to take money off others, make others poorer to make their own lives better.

You are certainly right that people are selfish across all political persuasions. It’s disingenuous for any one group to take an exclusive moral highground.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    No. I can honestly say that two years of reading your stuff on here I have never seen what what you mean. I haven't given up completely, though. :D

If you imagine for one minute that only side of the political spectrum with faults is the bit on the right you are significantly more deluded than I give you credit for.

No, I know.

Thereby lies the tragedy.

There's none so blind....:)
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Certainly many on the left wish to significantly put up taxes on higher earners to levels approaching 90%. Maybe it is those people you are thinking of - they wish to take money off others, make others poorer to make their own lives better.

You are certainly right that people are selfish across all political persuasions. It’s disingenuous for any one group to take an exclusive moral highground.

Copyright the Sheriff of Nottingham! :p
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    He was talking about America - not the UK.

You are trying and failing to attach a quotation to a place where it does not belong.

Ooooh yes I get that.. it's similar to that business of trying to transcribe Nineteen Eighty-Four onto everything Labour ever did despite no one seeming to have read it properly apart a vague impression there was CCTV and rat masks :)
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    "The modern Conservative is engaged in one of mans oldest exercises in moral philosophy-that is,the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness"

John Kenneth Galbraith

To my mind this is an excellent summary of what no conservative politician would ever say outright.Their policies tend to promote selfishness over the collective good.

No - next question.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    LOL nice attempt to wriggle out of the mistake you made. Hope you can clear the egg off your face :D

Well.....the OP used a small c outside of the quotation marks so I think the post was open to interpretation.

Except of course in your case where a cartoonish kneejerk reaction is expected.......
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Well.....the OP used a small c outside of the quotation marks so I think the post was open to interpretation.

Except of course in your case where a cartoonish kneejerk reaction is expected.......

The OP didn't understand what they were posting, so it was bound to rebound...
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The modern Conservative is engaged in one of mans oldest exercises in moral philosophy-that is,the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness"

John Kenneth Galbraith

To my mind this is an excellent summary of what no conservative politician would ever say outright.Their policies tend to promote selfishness over the collective good.

To be honest that works equally for our front bench Tories, Lib Dems and Labour party.

All parties seem to be more than capable of taking a bribe for putting forward new regulations.
  • Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice of you to use a quote from a liberal to describe conservatives.:rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with SELFISHNESS, it has everything to do with morality, basic human motivations and common sense economics.

What you REALLY want is free stuff and you cannot get out of that mindset now because for decades you have voted and GOTTEN freebies.

You dont know me or whether or not i have had what you call freebies.Assume less please.
    Please give me a watertight definition of freebie and the origins of the term .
  • Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own neccessities but of their advantages" Adam Smith

Ultimately, their selfishness is to everyone's advantage.
  • C-McDermottC-McDermott Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    There is no such thing as a Modern Conservative they are regressives not progressives
  • sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say it sums up righ wing politics to perfection.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

John Kenneth Galbraith

Pretty much described the new generation of modern policians who see a career in public service as meaning getting the public to serve them.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's startling that some people don't understand that you can take a quote and ascribe it to anything, regardless of the original intent.

It's called "using words".

Politicians use it all the time, Margaret Thatcher for example when she quoted St Francis of Assisi: "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony...."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    The OP didn't understand what they were posting

Based on what?
    Chosen user name?
    Posting History?

The OP made no claims about context. It is normal practice to give the source of the quote (and rude not to do so).
    sensoria wrote: »
    I would say it sums up righ wing politics to perfection.

I agree. The words immediately brought to mind all those miserable people we saw on tv a couple of years ago asking what was the point of Obamacare - for them.
  • allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect he would say WORSE things about present day conservatives and there are many core beliefs shared by conservatives in the US and UK.

Can you please decide whether it's "conservative" or "Conservative" and where in the world they are.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan J wrote: »
    "It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own neccessities but of their advantages" Adam Smith

Ultimately, their selfishness is to everyone's advantage.

Because ultimately everyone is selfish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

Not true. Bill Gates (in this stage of his life) and many ordinary people prove that you are wrong every day. Human beings are quite capable of turning unselfish acts into an unselfish life. It is not a trait confined only to motherhood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Landis wrote: »
    Not true. Bill Gates (in this stage of his life) and many ordinary people prove that you are wrong every day. Human beings are quite capable of turning unselfish acts into an unselfish life. It is not a trait confined only to motherhood.

Bill Gates has more money than he knows what to do with and I didn't say human beings are wholly selfish just that ultimately they are all selfish.
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »

Which is the ultimate attempted get-out-clause for Right wingers to justify their ideology.

The only thing is of course it's not true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are working to targets but how can you have targets when assessing disabled people? It's stuff like this that put's the Nasty back into the Tories...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/atos-assessor-forced-to-judge-disabled-fit-for-work-8168260.html

A former nurse who was employed by the controversial capability assessor Atos has claimed she was forced to manipulate tests so that disabled people were deemed fit for work.

Joyce Drummond alleged she was warned by the French-owned firm she was being "too nice" to claimants. She said candidates were considered more able to work if they arrived for their interview with brushed hair, had a toddler with them, or wore make-up.

Ms Drummond, a former staff nurse at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital, said bosses ignored her 20 years of medical experience. She told the Daily Record: "People trusted me and they confided in me. I felt I was having to stab them in the back."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is the ultimate attempted get-out-clause for Right wingers to justify their ideology.

The only thing is of course it's not true.

I wouldn't know I don't subscribe to ideologies.

Meanwhile we have a house of commons choc-a-bloc with self-seeking, self-serving <add your preferred expletive>s.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    I think this parting speech from The Thick Of It's Stewart Pearson somes up modern Conservatives quite nicely:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKUVWLeMaA&feature=related
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daryl Dark wrote: »
    They are working to targets but how can you have targets when assessing disabled people? It's stuff like this that put's the Nasty back into the Tories...http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/atos-assessor-forced-to-judge-disabled-fit-for-work-8168260.html

A former nurse who was employed by the controversial capability assessor Atos has claimed she was forced to manipulate tests so that disabled people were deemed fit for work.

Joyce Drummond alleged she was warned by the French-owned firm she was being "too nice" to claimants. She said candidates were considered more able to work if they arrived for their interview with brushed hair, had a toddler with them, or wore make-up.

Ms Drummond, a former staff nurse at Glasgow's Southern General Hospital, said bosses ignored her 20 years of medical experience. She told the Daily Record: "People trusted me and they confided in me. I felt I was having to stab them in the back."

No, it's stuff like that that put the Nasty back into Labour. This story happened in 2009 when there was a Labour Government :rolleyes:

If you had carefully red the article, the nurse in question resigned before the Coalition came into office.

Let's wait for your condemnation of Labour...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the most important aspects of left wing policy is that it smokes out right wing views which are hiding underneath a veneer.
    2 examples:

The dozens of vox-pops on tv a couple of years ago showing "ordinary" American Republicans talking about obamacare. "If I get sick, I pay for my own healthcare. What's the problem?"

The relentless campaign by the Tories to stop the introduction of the mimimum wage.A mainstream political party campaigning to keep millions of women on £2 an hour? You couldn't make it up.

Greed & selfishness is alive and well. Great to see one side of the pond rejecting it.