Options

Weekend away whilst off sick

Comments

• Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The easiest solution is just not to blab about it at work. How are your colleagues going to even find out unless you tell them? Is it really that difficult not to talk about one weekend break with them? Keep it to yourself and everything will be fine.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and enjoy, I was on the sick for 2 and a half weeks a couple of weeks ago, I went to stay at a mates place in Malvern for a couple of days because it is nice and peaceful. My work knew, because I told them I would be out of contract for a couple of days.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a similar thing about 10 years ago, I was signed off work for about 6-8 weeks all told. Towards the end of this time I had a pre-booked holiday (and also had the time booked off work) and asked the Doctor about it. She encouraged me to go, saying the break would be good for me, and if the company had a problem with it she'd be happy to write to them saying what she recommended.

I went, and when I got back to work they changed my holiday to sick leave and I gained 5 days holiday back.

I'd just go!
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    My OH has been signed off work by his GP for 2 weeks. However, we are due to go for a weekend break next weekend. He only works Monday - Friday so it doesn't fall on any of the days he is supposed to be in work.

I can't find any information on the ACAS site or Citizens Advice site about whether this is allowed. As it doesn't affect the days he works surely it should be okay. It was booked 6 momths ago and is in this country.

The complication is that we work in the same place - I would have to keep quiet about going away which is fine although a bit annoying as I do chat to my colleagues!

Thoughts please?

(I don't want to say what his medical issue is but he is physically well enough to go)

ACAS cover it quiet well
    http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4264

Especially this bit
    What about the example of an employee on sick leave who wants to take a holiday during that time? Can they do so? The Working Time Regulations (WTR) allow employees to do this
  • Options
    ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience if something similar that happened to me last year.

The doctor signed me off work for about four months in total. However, I had a holiday booked well over six months before I'd been signed off.

I spoke to my union rep who said that if I go on holiday whilst signed off that wouldn't be happy. My doctor however said that I'd be ok as it's a fit not and note a sick note, so I'm not for enough to be in work but fit enough for a holiday.

Whilst my work were pissed off about me going but I didn't care. The holiday was amazing and I felt so much better (depression related illness). I left the company a few weeks later due to the crap I'd been out through so I'll never know if would have suffered more bit they made my last few weeks so bad that I my doctor just signed me off until my last day.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My experience if something similar that happened to me last year.

The doctor signed me off work for about four months in total. However, I had a holiday booked well over six months before I'd been signed off.

I spoke to my union rep who said that if I go on holiday whilst signed off that wouldn't be happy. My doctor however said that I'd be ok as it's a fit not and note a sick note, so I'm not for enough to be in work but fit enough for a holiday.

That is appalling advice from a union rep..... I suggest you report it further up the union
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thoughts please?

If employment law doesn't require you to be under house arrest while on sick leave, then presumably you are allowed to venture outside your own home, especially at weekends.

I would further presume that there is no specific limit to how far you can venture from your house, meaning that travel anywhere is possible, provided you are not actually bedridden.

Just don't call it a 'holiday', because people sometimes can't understand that you can be unfit for work for all sorts of reasons, but still be capable of enjoying other activities.
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It totally depends on the reason he is off sick, if it is a physical problem then the boss can insist he should be at home resting, if it is mental like stress then it can be argued an outing will be doing him good.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would have thought if he is fit enough to go away, surely he is fit enough to be in work?

For the record, I'm self-employed so I don't have the luxury of sick pay / holiday pay.

I don't agree at all. I think getting away from things would do them a lot of good.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    tony321 wrote: »
    It totally depends on the reason he is off sick, if it is a physical problem then the boss can insist he should be at home resting, if it is mental like stress then it can be argued an outing will be doing him good.

No he cant
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why he should have to tell work if he has gone away for the weekend. Are they likely to phone him to ask if he is well enough to come in the next week?

I would go but not tell them. Of course it he usually works at the weekend then it probably wouldn't be a good idea. If he is normally at home at the weekend then I don't really see the problem because it is his free time.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought for stress and mental health related issues it would do you some good to get away for a bit and relax. But i guess it depends what it is thats wrong with him.
  • Options
    Sunset DaleSunset Dale Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    No he cant

Depending whats wrong with him he can. No rule that says you can't when you're signed off.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Go for it. Although if he is off with a bad back. Don't go posting picture of yourself climbing Ben Nevin all over Facebook.
    Sounds obvious but that's what someone at our work did, and questions were asked about how bad his back really was.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH has been signed off work by his GP for 2 weeks. However, we are due to go for a weekend break next weekend. He only works Monday - Friday so it doesn't fall on any of the days he is supposed to be in work.

I can't find any information on the ACAS site or Citizens Advice site about whether this is allowed. As it doesn't affect the days he works surely it should be okay. It was booked 6 momths ago and is in this country.

The complication is that we work in the same place - I would have to keep quiet about going away which is fine although a bit annoying as I do chat to my colleagues!

Thoughts please?

(I don't want to say what his medical issue is but he is physically well enough to go)

If it's the weekend then there won't be anyone at work to check up on him. So long as he's back home for Monday morning, you should be fine. Just keep it quiet.
  • Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id say a weekend away with you would be fine, its nothing at all like work - no stress, time to relax, getting the mind away from the same 4 walls/usual places. It may even help with recovery. However if its a weekend in magaluf drinking and partying thats another thing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Go for it. Although if he is off with a bad back. Don't go posting picture of yourself climbing Ben Nevin all over Facebook.
    Sounds obvious but that's what someone at our work did, and questions were asked about how bad his back really was.

someone did this in my place too, went off with an ear infection for a week then someone from work saw them in a club in manchester on the friday night dancing their ass off ^_^
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it always amazes that you can claim to be sick while on holiday. It can only be something that goes in the public sector.

They have 6 months on the sick, then come back and take their accumulated holiday. What a hoot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it always amazes that you can claim to be sick while on holiday. It can only be something that goes in the public sector.

They have 6 months on the sick, then come back and take their accumulated holiday. What a hoot.

Its the law, regardless if you work in the public or private sector.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18534028
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What exactly does it mean to be 'on holiday', and in what way is it different from being at home, other than being at a different location?

Because I think someone should be able to choose to be sick at B as well as at A.

It would after all be odd to be allowed to use the internet, read the paper, watch TV, have a drink etc (depending on nature of the illness), while at A, but not do exactly the same things 100 miles away!
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

Thoughts please?

If your husband feels well enough to go then I cannot see a problem - except from yourself not advertising the fact.

Your GP has signed him off as not well enough to attend work. This doesn't mean he needs to stay indoors for the whole 2 weeks!

I would say go and it will probably do you both a world of good.:)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked with someone who was off sick fro 3 months with stress and, during the time they were off, went to Greece for a fortnight. They claimed their doctor told them that a couple of weeks relaxing in the sun would do him the world of good
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member

Working in the public sector is a dam lot harder than you think......I love it though!:)
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, all those firemen, policemen, doctors and nurses who are off in Magaluf while on sick leave. Compared to the hardworking, honest, humanitarian private sector bankers.

Or not.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member

Get a public sector job then!