Options

audio sync issues

chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
Forum Member
✭✭
i changed my TV a few days ago, and since then i've been seeing audio sync issues - but only on some SD channels.

sky box is connected to AMP via HDMI and optical, and the HDMI cable from amp to TV.

had no sync issues previously.

now if i adjust the audio delay settings on the sky box this is going to affect all channels, so i would assume it would correct the affected channels, but then adversely affect the HD channels and other SD channels that don't have the issue ?

any suggestions to fix this? (and please don't suggest changing the wiring config, as that is not an option).

Comments

• Options
    PhiljwadePhiljwade Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your connections should be:

Sky HD >> optical >> AMP
    Sky HD >> HDMI >> TV
    Set your TV speakers to OFF, so you only get the sound through your amp. If your TV has an optical out, you can connect this back to your amp for the rare occasions you are not watching TV via your Sky box or you have other kit connected directly to your TV and want to send the sound to your amp.

Sky HD box does not give 5.1 DD over the HDMI connection so the HDMI connection from the Sky box to your amp is redundant. Your current set up, although giving you better sound than your TV speakers, will only give your 2 channel stereo which is what is being sent down the HDMI from the Sky box to amp connection - unless your amp can prioritise the sound source to optical over the HDMI input to your amp which is unlikely.

Most of the sync bugs have been erradicated since the early days of HD, but you do get the occasional one - for me this is still normally on Sky1 HD on a US produced show (Bones for example)!. Unlikely you would ever get one on SD channels though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philjwade wrote: »
    Your connections should be:

Sky HD >> optical >> AMP
    Sky HD >> HDMI >> TV
    Set your TV speakers to OFF, so you only get the sound through your amp. If your TV has an optical out, you can connect this back to your amp for the rare occasions you are not watching TV via your Sky box or you have other kit connected directly to your TV and want to send the sound to your amp.

Sky HD box does not give 5.1 DD over the HDMI connection so the HDMI connection from the Sky box to your amp is redundant. Your current set up, although giving you better sound than your TV speakers, will only give your 2 channel stereo which is what is being sent down the HDMI from the Sky box to amp connection - unless your amp can prioritise the sound source to optical over the HDMI input to your amp which is unlikely.

Most of the sync bugs have been erradicated since the early days of HD, but you do get the occasional one - for me this is still normally on Sky1 HD on a US produced show (Bones for example)!. Unlikely you would ever get one on SD channels though.

did you actually read what i asked? i specifically said not to suggest changing wiring config.

i have a multi-product system with all devices connected to the amp, and 1 remote to control everything.

and yes i do have optical connected to the amp from the sky box, and yes my amp can prioritise optical over HDMI, and almost all modern AV amps will do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    any more (sensible) suggestions?

i'm still seeing this on (some) SD channels.
    adjusting the delay on the STB would affect all channels.
  • Options
    Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    try being a little more polite in your replies, you may get more help ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try being a little more polite in your replies, you may get more help ;)

i'm polite to people who actually read the initial post and don't give advice that was specifically not wanted/not applicable.
  • Options
    richestrichest Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is this fella... does he know its Christmas :) careful when replying to any of his future posts and jusify your answers or he'll have you :mad::D

he likes it hard... ie. see

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1406407&highlight=
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    richest wrote: »
    Who is this fella... does he know its Christmas :) careful when replying to any of his future posts and jusify your answers or he'll have you :mad::D

there are too many people on here that seem to contribute sod all to a thread and end up filling it with rubbish (your membership card to that club is in the post).

a simple check before clicking "submit reply" should be that you are sure of the answer you are giving (which means it will stand up to justification). if a reply starts with "i think" or "i've heard" or "someone told me" then maybe you should not click "submit reply" before checking if what you are going to say is factually true.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that I've heard someone tell me that it's probably the tv if your old one was ok. Probably.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    there are too many people on here that seem to contribute sod all to a thread and end up filling it with rubbish (your membership card to that club is in the post).

a simple check before clicking "submit reply" should be that you are sure of the answer you are giving (which means it will stand up to justification). if a reply starts with "i think" or "i've heard" or "someone told me" then maybe you should not click "submit reply" before checking if what you are going to say is factually true.

The guy tried to help you out. There was no need to be such an arse towards him. Simple as that.
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the new tv and as you don't give the make and model of the tv I am stuck. Also, you dont say make of amp so again I am stuck.

And of course the big no no missing is the make of the sky hd box!!

In actual fact I am surprised you got any replies.

So post again with the above and may be able to help.

Also is it an LCD or a Plasma?

And say a few of the SD channels that are causing the problem.
    cheers

gb--
  • Options
    FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried checking your wiring config :D:o