Options

what is the future of sky tv now tivo is on way

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
Forum Member
✭✭
hello everyone,what will the future of sky tv be now tivo is on way to virgin boxes.

will sky bring out a new box or something to compete with tivo
will be great if sky bring out a new box to compete with tivo,a skybox to do many things like search for actor,which bring you movies for that actor for that month on sky.

sky need to bring out something to compete against tivo.

what do you guys think.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    thedrifter wrote: »
    hello everyone,what will the future of sky tv be now tivo is on way to virgin boxes.

will sky bring out a new box or something to compete with tivo
    will be great if sky bring out a new box to compete with tivo,a skybox to do many things like search for actor,which bring you movies for that actor for that month on sky.

what do you guys think.

Could some one please explain to me exactly what "TIVO" is please
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4yorks wrote: »
    Could some one please explain to me exactly what "TIVO" is please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ZemfVxgUY&feature=channel
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

what do you guys think.

I don't think they will do anything because it won't make any significant difference to their bottom line just as VM VOD, Broadband and HD have failed to do.
    The bulk of the public have no knowledge of TIVO and as shown in the US it is not the be all or end all in PVR use which is one reason TIVO is desperate for new markets. Of course if the law suites ever get settled in their favour once and for all things may change:)

At the end of the day for the mass market it's price and programming not a fancy GUI and options most will never use.
    Wish SKY had embraced the service via SKY+ back in 2001 though:)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what do you guys think.
    I don't think Sky need to do anything. Most Sky customers seem to only use their Sky box like a VCR - recording stuff only when they are out or have other commitments. It's a minority of us who use it to time shift everything so it's a minority for whom Tivo would be better.

Most people aren't even aware that VM now supply Tivo. Sky customers in general don't pay attention to what VM do.

Lastly - VM is still only available to barely half the UK population. Even then it's penetration is so small that Ofcom recently decided not to classify it as 'market dominant'. If I remember correctly less than 12% of people who could have VM actually do.

So basically I don't think Sky have to do anything at all - which is a shame. Tivo sounds like a better system.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are a fair few f us that would like Tivo like facilities on Sky.

But I'd also bet that the vast majority are happy with what they have. Its simple. It works ( mostly :) )

And given that it seems unlikely Sky would invest in order to satisfy the few.

I can't see Virgin having Tivo eroding Sky's market share either.

In short, nothing will happen.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jarrak wrote: »
    Wish SKY had embraced the service via SKY+ back in 2001 though:)

The only problem was Tivo was a standalone product at the time and AFAIK it was yet to be integrated into a satellite receiver. There was also the issue of integrating proprietary software into an open source OS because it wasn't clear at the time whether Interlecual Property Rights could be maintained under the GPL which NDS was concerned about.
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and 99% of Sky customers couldn't care less about Tivo...:rolleyes:

Correct (in my opinion) Sky+ does what 95% of the general public want, and it's simple to use, can't see TIVO making much of a dent, even more so as most can't get VM anyway!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and 99% of Sky customers couldn't care less about Tivo...:rolleyes:

Man, I just love being in that 1% category ;)

Obviously TIVO is great, and if I lived in a cable area I would actually seriously consider going with Virgin for it.

But if Sky tweak the software more, add more features and really expand their VOD content, and add stuff like iPlayer, 4OD etc, then there's no reason why it can't be just as good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Obviously TIVO is great

It is not at all obvious to me ;)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    bengunn wrote: »

Nor to the rest of the world :D

It flopped badly in the UK previously, and it's flopped badly in the USA as well, with only a small number of users left there.
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHO? says TIVO is great, and if it's so good why is it almost unheard of, despite being as old as the Sky+ PVR if not older?

VOD is only as good as your link, if that is not good enough, then there is no point in VOD.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cookie Jar wrote: »
    Man, I just love being in that 1% category ;)

Obviously TIVO is great, and if I lived in a cable area I would actually seriously consider going with Virgin for it.

But if Sky tweak the software more, add more features and really expand their VOD content, and add stuff like iPlayer, 4OD etc, then there's no reason why it can't be just as good.
    Same here. Sky+ is restrictive with its 7 day EPG and handling of series links and clashes (like not searching for later showings) but having 2 tuners and being able to record HD content is much more important.

You can tell even from some of the posts here that people don't properly understand Sky+, so selling them the advantages of TiVo (at a premium price) isn't likely to tempt them away from Sky. From V+, maybe.
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TIVO:

When user's requests for multiple programs are conflicting, the lower priority program in the Season Pass Manager is either not recorded or clipped where times overlap. The lower priority program will be recorded if it is aired later. TiVo DVRs with two tuners record the top two priority programs

and that is better than Sky+, :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It flopped badly in the UK previously, and it's flopped badly in the USA as well, with only a small number of users left there.
    Yes, they are down to their last 3 million in the US (2.8M in 2009 to be exact, up by 1M from the previous year)... :D

They took a hit when DirecTV ended their collaboration but have seen some growth in recent years as they have moved towards an IPTV platform with added features including Netflix and YouTube.

It will be interesting to see if the VM launch raises their profile in the UK after the Thomson/Sky disaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foxla wrote: »
    TIVO:

When user's requests for multiple programs are conflicting, the lower priority program in the Season Pass Manager is either not recorded or clipped where times overlap. The lower priority program will be recorded if it is aired later. TiVo DVRs with two tuners record the top two priority programs

and that is better than Sky+, :confused:
    Go on, tell me how Sky+ decides on priority for conflicts? You tell TiVo which season pass (series link) is the more important *to you* by ranking them, so if you are going to lose something it's the least important. More importantly, it tells you in advance through the planner that there are potential conflicts (Sky+ tells you as it's about to record), and if it can find another showing at a different time it will record that instead.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Yes, they are down to their last 3 million in the US (2.8M in 2009 to be exact, up by 1M from the previous year)... :D

The figures in the USA I found earlier this month were FAR less that that, well under a million (and still falling).

In any case, only 3.000,000 would be pretty pathetic in a market the size of the US :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It will be interesting to see if the VM launch raises their profile in the UK after the Thomson/Sky disaster.

Strangely enough or not I knew more about TIVO via NTL then I ever did via SKY, they were flogging them for £99 near the end and it's a pity it's taken this long for TIVO to return. Thanks in part to the dominance of the licensed proprietary options via SKY, VM, Freeview and now Freesat.

Imagine if it does to such an extent that SKY make them an offer they can not refuse there by levelling the field or at the end of this contract removing the option for further VM products.
    It's good business, enter the market with a partner desperate for options and marketing boons and make yourself to valuable to ignore from the company with cash to spare.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see sky adopting tivo anytime soon.

They didn't do it when sky+ was launched, instead choosing to go with XTV from NDS and frankly I don't see them doing it now, given that NDS MediaHighway can cater for practically all of the "killer" tivo functionality. DirecTV dropped tivo in favour of MediaHighway technology quite a while ago, and sky appear to be developing the same platform, albeit on a slightly different operating system. And if the Murdochs gets their way with BSkyB, you can bet it'll be an in-house solution (NDS is a NewsCorp company) and not tivo that gets chosen as the technology supplier.

So while I'd fully expect to see tivo-like features on sky+hd, I'm almost certain it won't be under the tivo brand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bengunn wrote: »

Oh well, to me it is ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The figures in the USA I found earlier this month were FAR less that that, well under a million (and still falling).
    Ok, found some more current data at http://investor.tivo.com. The million are TiVo-owned subs - 1.3M at October 31, against 1.5M in 2009. On top of that are broadcaster subs of 959,000 making 2.2M the Oct 2010 total. Their direct subscriptions will probably continue to fall as their business plan is to increase collaborations like VM in the UK and Canal Direct in Scandinavia. Only time will tell how much that will generate.

In a lot of ways TiVo is the Betamax of DVRs - far and away the best technology but poorly marketed and implemented leaving the cheaper options to dominate the market.
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    If I lived in an area that had cable then I stll would stick with SKY.

TIVO or no TIVO, that is the question..........and my asnwer is NO TIVO.............Give me SKY and I am Happy. :D
  • Options
    rcmaccrcmacc Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    If Virgin marketed to every house in the UK then maybe Sky would be bothered. I live in a virgin area and have SkyHD because they never bothered cabling my cul del sac. But I still get the flyers delivered by the Royal mail.

Two of my friends have Virgin+ with vod etc, would I swap if Virgin and tivo were available? Probably not unless it was really good value. As an ex NTL customer from years back I still remember the missing channels they couldn't be arsed with.

Rob
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rcmacc wrote: »
    If Virgin marketed to every house in the UK then maybe Sky would be bothered. I live in a virgin area and have SkyHD because they never bothered cabling my cul del sac. But I still get the flyers delivered by the Royal mail.

Two of my friends have Virgin+ with vod etc, would I swap if Virgin and tivo were available? Probably not unless it was really good value. As an ex NTL customer from years back I still remember the missing channels they couldn't be arsed with.

Rob

My brother-in-law was interested as he had Tivo back whenever but he's decided he can put the £200 up front payment to better use elsewhere.
  • Options
    Roger G CamRoger G Cam Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Sky+ first launched - no one understood it. The problem we had was explaining it to people. They had VCR's. Why did they need a PVR?

They couldn't understand things like - pausing live TV. How could you do that?

TiVo was a step too far. It was way ahead of it's time. Sky+ was the easy mass market solution.

Now people understand Sky+ - but it took a lot to get them there. Sky even had to drop the £10 a month subscription.

People are ready now for something that goes beyond Sky+.

Sky know they have to continually innovate to stay ahead of potential threats t their market dominance. Whether they want to go TiVo or not - they will enhance their PVR to protect their position.

Right now their answer is 3D and VoD. Maybe they will try to attack TiVo through broadband connected functonality.

They can't stand still.

Roger