Options

Is Adele the new Susan Boyle

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    Time was the OP was always slagging off Duffy, then it was Pixie Lott and now it's Adele. Maybe Jack is just a fanboy who can't warm to any female artist outselling his fave .... Amy McDonald.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele is bloody AMAZING. (in all caps, oh yes)

I hate the fact people bang on about her weight all the time. I realise in me saying that just then is her weight being mentioned again...but the fact is, she's a beautiful young redheaded girl with an amazing voice, and it annoys me that people seem to be more interested in her weight than that!!!
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    LOL thread of the day? To compare her to Susan Boyle is ludicrous.
    Adele is a major talent, with a fantastic soulful voice. Her appearance is irrelevant to her thoroughly deserved success and from her interviews, she has a brilliant personality. Great to see her have huge success with 21 so early on too. She's definitely a talent the UK should be proud of.

Oh and to add to the ridiculous question...
    Adele released 19 before Susan Boyle went on Britain's Got Talent, so couldn't really be the new Susan Boyle if there was any truth in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele's voice grates on me far more than Susan's does. She always sounds as if she has mucus in her throat.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele's voice grates on me far more than Susan's does. She always sounds as if she has mucus in her throat.

It hit me while listening to Rolling in the Deep that it is just the song that I really like and that it is Adele's voice that tarnishes it a bit for me. I find her tone way too harsh and a bit strained. Others find her soulful though so each to their own.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susan records covers

Adele doesnt. but she maybe because of that amazing voice.

all her song sound samey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reminds me more of Alison Moyet if anything.

Alison Moyet was and is just awesome!
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member

Ooooh I was just thinking that.

Its the new album cover that made me think she looked like her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    21 is AMAZING!!! seriously a very soulful and deep album! definitely matched to 19! it's a powerhouse yet very subtle and beautiful album :) glad it's selling well....over 70,000 in ONE day! that's INCREDIBLE sales!

and i ****ing HATE HATE susan boyle :mad::(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I concur.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Adele ever releases an album of karoke cover versions then maybe there'd be some merit to this thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele's '21' outselling entire UK albums chart Top 10

new album, '21', looks set to storm the UK albums chart on Sunday (January 30), having sold more than 100,000 copies since its release on Monday (24).

According to midweek figures from The Official Charts Company the album is outselling the rest of the Top 10 albums combined.

http://www.nme.com/news/adele/54708
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rickyjune wrote: »
    Adele's '21' outselling entire UK albums chart Top 10

new album, '21', looks set to storm the UK albums chart on Sunday (January 30), having sold more than 100,000 copies since its release on Monday (24).

According to midweek figures from The Official Charts Company the album is outselling the rest of the Top 10 albums combined.

http://www.nme.com/news/adele/54708

I hope she gives Gamu a good cut of the profits for resurrecting her career for her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    kutox wrote: »
    So you're saying anyone who doesn't write all their songs entirely on their own is manufactured? Wow, now that's just incredibly narrow-minded. That must mean you think 90% of solo artists are manufactured.

And I've never seen or heard anyone talking about Adele's appearance in relation to her success, other than you. To suggest that as a reason for Adele's success is laughable. You must have something against her. I mean, Duffy was never 'overweight' but she managed to be the biggest-selling solo artist worldwide in 2008. I know she's flopped this time round, but that's down to her returning with a poor lead single.

And what sets Adele apart from singers like Katy Perry and Susan Boyle is that Adele has SOUL. As much as you'd like to believe otherwise, musical talent and credibility is not measured purely by how much an artist writes their own songs. Katy Perry writes insipid, meaningless pop songs for the masses, and Susan Boyle just sings whatever Cowell and co tell her to.

Adele does not come across as someone who gets given songs and told exactly what to do by her record label. Of course she has co-writers - as most solo artists do - but she is someone who has a clear idea of how she wants her music to sound and what direction to take. She works WITH her writers and producers. That is far more significant than the amount of her songs she actually writes. In fairness, Katy Perry is probably the same, but I'm not saying she's manufactured - she's just not very good. You can't just measure everything purely by how much an artist writes on their own.

Exactly where in my post did i mention that everyone who co-writes is manufactured? yeah that's right.... I didn't.

The manufactured part comes from your Rick Rubins, Your Ryan Tedders, Your Paul Epworths.....The top dogs, who will have been paid top bucks by Adele's label whether you like it or not.

I also never stated that because she was fat that was the only reason she was famous but i do think it's a contributing factor. I really don't think she would have these glowing reviews about how she was a soul diva if she was a size 10.

All of your post is based on assumption, there is no argument in 'Adele doesn't come across as someone' how can you tell? Do you know her personally.

Your over the top ramblings are nonsensical.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    rickyjune wrote: »
    susan records covers

Adele doesnt. but she maybe because of that amazing voice.

all her song sound samey

ermmmm her most famous song is a cover of a Bob Dylan song.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course the two aren't the same, therefore Adele isn't the new Susan Boyle. Her career is longer than that of Susan Boyle anyway.

One is famous because of a reality TV show and her mental health*. She does covers.

The other is a singer-song writer, who has wrote the songs on her two albums, which are based on her personal experiences and feelings.

*My comment about Susan Boyle's mental health isn't meant as an insult or a criticism. I am referring to the impact it had on the media interest in her, and how this may have contributed to her popularity.

Both Adele and Susan Boyle have very different voices. They are both good singers, but their singing style, what they do, and how they got into the industry are different.

Responding to posts about Adele's appearance, Adele's music isn't aimed at people who judge singers based on what they look like. If that's the type of person you are, may I recommend Britney, JLS, Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, etc. Adele's music is aimed at people who appreciate good music.

This leads me to another difference between Adele and Susan Boyle. Listen to 21. It is not a compilation of songs - it is an album. It has a theme, and the songs fit together. Susan Boyle doesn't write her own songs, so she cannot do an album like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Adele chose to work wit Rick after wanting to do some country after listening to loads.

Adele met Ryan Tedder at an awards ceromony and liked his songs he's written and wanted to work with him, so i think its her choice.
  • Options
    RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    ermmmm her most famous song is a cover of a Bob Dylan song.

I'd disagree; Adele's most "famous song" is probably Hometown Glory.

As for the Adele/Susan Boyle comparison, it is pretty ridiculous and seems to be based purely on the fact that neither fit what is seen as the conventional image of a pop singer. Susan Boyle is a mediocre singer who has found success on the back of media exposure from Britain's Got Talent and her subsequent breakdown. Adele was signed on the strength of her voice and her early demos (Hometown Glory being the song that led to significant interest from XL). Adele has put out two albums of her own music, Susan Boyle has released two (or three?) albums of covers. It's not a valid comparison at all.
  • Options
    jack soonjack soon Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To all of you who ( delusional ) think that Adele wrote these samey songs, do you think RyanTedder et al was only there to check her spelling?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I hope she gives Gamu a good cut of the profits for resurrecting her career for her.

Stupid comment, RITD is successful in many countrys, nothing to do with Gamu.

It seems like the UK can't appreciate big talents.
  • Options
    RecurringRecurring Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    jack soon wrote: »
    To all of you who ( delusional ) think that Adele wrote these samey songs, do you think RyanTedder et al was only there to check her spelling?

I'm not under any illusion that Adele composed every part of every song, and it wouldn't surprise me if with some of the songs her input was limited to melody and lyrics. Co-writing isn't a new concept and it's not as if it's a secret; Adele has been pretty vocal about Tedder/Eg White/Paul Epworth/Rubin's input during interviews and promo.

Regardless, she's shown she has talent for songwriting with Hometown Glory/Daydreamer etc (as well as the rest of her material, but we'll ignore that since you seem so vehemently opposed to co-writes) which, as I mentioned before, were written before she was signed and are some of the highlights of 19 imo.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I don't like Adele's voice either. I must admit that I don't like her all that much but that's because I'm not really into the ballads, I'm more into upbeat music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moireen wrote: »
    Stupid comment, RITD is successful in many countrys, nothing to do with Gamu.

It seems like the UK can't appreciate big talents.

Don't be so dismissive:rolleyes: I am entitled to my opinion and there is no doubt that Gamu has done Adele a big favour,imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Watch this, its a track by track interview of 21 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3FGEeV0VXs