wired network problem - HEllllllpppppp!!!!

a bit of a weird one this.

I connected my laptop to my tv via a hdmi cable today. Ever since, i can't connect to the internet through a wired connection to my modem, only wireless.

Also, the ethernet port is yellow instead of green.

I don't understand how my comp recognizes the fact that it can connect wirelessly, but can't 'see' the same modem to which it has a wired connection.

Everything was fine and bloody dandy before i connected the hdmi cable. coincidence?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Comments

• user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how connecting a Graphics output cable would affect your Ethernet :confused:

Are the two sockets near each other?

You could try System Restore to an earlier time, but I'm clutching at straws.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they sit right next to each other. and i did a system restore but still no joy. I'm also on a fairly new pc with windows 7 which i'm not completely familiar with, which isn't helping!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they sit right next to each other. and i did a system restore but still no joy. I'm also on a fairly new pc with windows 7 which i'm not completely familiar with, which isn't helping!

You might have a dodgy connection to the motherboard and RJ45 socket that could have been made worse when you plugged in the HDMI
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would there be a workaround for this?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd try to eliminate software as the problem be fore worrying that it could be a busted RJ45 socket.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One test.

Unplug the HDMI lead. Connect to your router with the ethernet cable, switch off wireless. Make sure you can get online properly and can browse websites OK. Now without switching off the laptop at all plug in the HDMi lead (it won't blow anything up!).

Does your ethernet connection fall apart now?

If it does then your HDMI cable is radiating loads of garbage into the ethernet cable. A better made HDMI cable with better screening may cure the problem as might a screened ethernet cable, or both.

Keeping the two cables as far apart as possible will also help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have already dismissed the hdmi cable. I only did it out of curiosity! Wish i hadn't now...

without any ethernet cable in the port, the amber light is on and remains steady.

i can still connect wirelessly to the same modem, but it just won't recognize its existence with a wired connection. everytime i try to connect and it diagnosis's itself, it says the problem it can't connect to the net is due to the wireless button being 'off' (the reason being that i have turned it off in the hope it would then recognize the wired connection. which it doesn't). There is no option to connect with a wired connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ***update***

i have to say i'm a bit spooked by this.

decided to call their helpline. the woman asked me for the model and i had a complete blank. She told me to look underneath, so i picked it up and checked. I told her the model number and put me through to an automated service.

When i put the laptop down i noticed the amber light had gone!!!

In my surprise, my chin managed to cut me off from the help line.

I then decided to pop the ethernet lead back in and...it worked??!!

How can turning the laptop upside down fix it??!!!!!

i'm stumped. Maybe it should be the next line of advice after 'have you turned it off and on again?'?!!

but thanks for those that chipped in with advice.

Computers really do work in mysterious ways...
  • EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can turning the laptop upside down fix it

Probably a loose connection....if it happens again you'll know why.